Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 46,504 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been frequenting the forum recently, as I have begun researching different areas of Florida for my inlaws, who are considering purchasing a condo or small house to use as a vacation home and perhaps rent out occassionally.

I've been looking at the listings on realtor.com and have noticed many nice looking 2 bedroom condos listed in the Orlando area that are priced around $40,000. They are in nice complexes with nice ammenities and are located in nice looking residential areas surrounding Orlando.

So what's the catch? The prices seem to low.

The inlaws are all over the map right now, but are beginning to focus on a more central location away from the higher insurance rates of the coasts. We are considering several areas, but the condos outside of Orlando caught my eye, and I figure that they would be easy to rent to families on vacation.

The info on the site is great and the opinions offered in the forums are a big help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Most of those condos were well over $100,000 just about 1 year ago. Some areas are good and some areas are bad. Now is the perfect time to buy, people just don't realize it.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Currently we are sorting through realtor listings and viewing their photos. We're trying to use the sattelite images of the neighborhoods to discern if the areas seem "nice" or not. I realize that what we see on the screen may not translate into reality, but some areas do look much nicer from the sky than others and some can definetely be ruled out.

At first, we were only searching for a small house, but then decided to also consider condos. We're thinking that a condo could be easier for us maintenance wise since we would be out of town 75% of the time.

Some of the places we've found look great, but I just can't wrap my mind around what seems like low prices to me. 2 BR, 2 Bath condos that are only a few years old and have very nice looking facilities for $40,000 to $50,000??? Just seems to low. I would have guessed $150,000 for some of them.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
Some will have catches, remember if it's too good to be true it probably is. Many of the condo's in the price range you are quoting where condo-conversions, meaning they where originally built as apartments and with the quality of apartments. Many of them are also located in or very close to higher crime areas. And usually they will have very high condo association fee's that can be due to a variety of factors.
Some are great deals, but many have way to many issues for me, so tread carefully.

Also, if you were planning on renting the property out occasionally to vacationers, you will have to be located in an area zoned for short-term rental. These area's are pretty much only around Disney and Kissimmee.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 42,133 times
The problem with those condo units, and the ones in Metrowest is they are not FHA approved. The investor ratios are high and most lenders will not lend in those projects. Cash sales are dominating the condo conversion market. These conversion projects sold to investors and were giving cash back to the buyers. $10,000 decorator bonus. I saw a contract for one off fo metrowest that the builder paid the buyer a $1000 a month for two years. Guess when that condo went into foreclosure. Right after the builder payments stopped

Old 01-07-2009, 06:00 PM

I just looked up a condo listing in the Orlando area. According to the Orange County Property Appraiser's website, it sold in 2007 for $217,000. The current owner is a mortage corporation. This condo is currently listed for $40,000!!!

How can it be listed SO LOW???

Old 01-07-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbuck View Post
I just looked up a condo listing in the Orlando area. According to the Orange County Property Appraiser's website, it sold in 2007 for $217,000. The current owner is a mortage corporation. This condo is currently listed for $40,000!!!

How can it be listed SO LOW???
Because nobody wants them and there are a thousand more just like it. I saw one in metrowest that sold for over 300K and are now being unloaded for 40K.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44nutman View Post
The problem with those condo units, and the ones in Metrowest is they are not FHA approved. The investor ratios are high and most lenders will not lend in those projects. Cash sales are dominating the condo conversion market. These conversion projects sold to investors and were giving cash back to the buyers. $10,000 decorator bonus. I saw a contract for one off fo metrowest that the builder paid the buyer a $1000 a month for two years. Guess when that condo went into foreclosure. Right after the builder payments stopped
Another great point, financing will be difficult if not impossible in most of these projects, cash is king, and the cash buyer's aren't interested in those projects unless priced VERY low.
And that 10K decorator bonus, pea's, you can still find old websites from some of these places that blatantly advertise tenS of thousands in cash to the buyer at closing...100% financing...basically paying people to buy there. In addition to "guarantee'd rent" for X years. The amount of fraud that happened in those developments is stagering.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM

A couple of the condos that I'm talking about are in a development called Cypress Pointe at Lake Orlando. The place looks great in the photos...

I understand that some people may have been taken advantage of initially, but assuming that there are no other issues besides supply and demand (such as excessivley high HOA fees or crack houses on the other side of the fence) are condos at these prices the deal of the decade or something to avoid?

Anyone have any info on this complex? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:09 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Some are foreclosures. I know they have some for sale in Lake Mary in that price range. Lake Mary is a very nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando