Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:39 PM

42 posts, read 89,070 times

Advertisements

New Yorker here thinking about moving to Florida.

26 year old college graduate with an Associate's Degree in Education and a Bachelor's Degree in Hospitality Management with work experience in education and administrative type work.

I'm tired of the cold New York winters, tired of the tourists, tired of the crowded subways, tired of the New York hustle and bustle. Just all in all sick of NY.

I'm thinking of a move to Florida but don't know if it's a good decision. One reason for picking Florida is because I know a lot of people living in Florida so I would not be a lonely only down there. I know the weather is hot but I can deal with it, I've been to Florida many times and I can deal with the heat.

From what I've heard the Lake Mary, Dr. Phillips, and Baldwin Park areas are nice. Am I right?

My one main concern is that I don't drive and I don't plan to start driving anytime soon so I need to be able to get around to the main places on foot: Examples: supermarket, pharmacy, bank...those sort of places.

I'm somewhat of a homebody so I don't need to have museums and clubs and major things to do in the area. The occasional movie, restaurant and mall outing is fine enough for me and if I have to get there by taxi or bus that's fine for me.

I guess that's all for now. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:50 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,164 times
I would not move to Orlando if I were you. You NEED a car in Orlando, good luck walking anywhere and Orlando is FILLED with tourists also. So short answer, NO don't move to Otown.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:57 PM

Is there anywhere in Florida where I don't need a car?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
We do have bus transportation here. It depends where you live if it's in your area. The weather is better here, but it does get hot for a longer time than I would like. Although, I'd rather deal with that then freezing weather. As far as the tourists, if you live in the suburbs you won't see them that much. On the other hand, if you live in Kissimmee and parts of Orlando, you won't escape them. The area is nice over all and has all the conveniences you need. I would make sure you have work lined up just b/c it's bad everywhere. By the way, I live in Lake Mary. Have you visited here before? One area that I'm thining about that may work for you would be Colonial Town Park in Heathrow/ Lake Mary. They have condos right there, along with the grocery store, pharmacy bank, restaurants, movies, urgent care, hotels and more. You can literally walk to everything. I'm sure the bus goes over there too. Colonial Properties Trust - Colonial TownPark/Heathrow Click on the different residental links to get an idea what the condos go for. It looks like they start at $795 and go up to $1500. Are you planning on renting or buying? What is your price range?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:54 PM

55 posts, read 183,101 times
I don't see where you can live in Florida without a car. I am sure that there are plenty of places you can live (areas in South Florida, for example) where you can live close to supermarkets and such and walk, but without a car you are limited to what you can do. Public transportation is nothing like NY, Boston or Chicago.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:59 PM

The mall is about a mile from Colonial Grand along with Sam's Club, Super Walmart, Super Target and so much more. I think if you could find work close-by, you could do without a car.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:40 PM

Thanks for the info beckycat. I don't have a job lined up yet but I'm starting that process now. I'm also working on my own at home business as well and hope to one day be able to have my own business working from home. I've never been to Lake Mary, FL. I've been to many other parts of Florida though. Right now I have no price range since I have no job lined up or any job offers but when I do then I will have a budget. Right now I'm just trying to research and see if Florida is a place I want to really try and find a job and move to. Hopefully my at home business will do well and be able to sustain me so I won't have to look for a job and can just move on over. Why do you want to leave Florida?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:53 PM

15 posts, read 57,606 times
you can make jokes but a bike is always good if u cannot afford a car or simply do not have the means to obtain one. but i agree florida especially orlando is not a mass trans type of city. miami is slightly better in that area.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelani.laraya View Post
Thanks for the info beckycat. I don't have a job lined up yet but I'm starting that process now. I'm also working on my own at home business as well and hope to one day be able to have my own business working from home. I've never been to Lake Mary, FL. I've been to many other parts of Florida though. Right now I have no price range since I have no job lined up or any job offers but when I do then I will have a budget. Right now I'm just trying to research and see if Florida is a place I want to really try and find a job and move to. Hopefully my at home business will do well and be able to sustain me so I won't have to look for a job and can just move on over. Why do you want to leave Florida?
It's not that I want to leave for a bad reason, b/c I'd recommend Lake Mary to anyone in heartbeat! The reason we are wanting to leave is for a change and to be closer to family that lives in PA. I like everything here except that it stays hot too long. Although, I'd much rather be here than in PA where I came from. My DH misses PA alot and that's kind of a compromise. NC is in between both. We'd also like to have seasons again. Here you really don't have distinct seasons. It gets cold here for about a month, but it is very tolerable. I don't care for the cold at all. We have beaches and Springs though and everything is air conditioned. Did you check out that website and what did you think about the area? What kind of work would you be doing?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It's not that I want to leave for a bad reason, b/c I'd recommend Lake Mary to anyone in heartbeat! The reason we are wanting to leave is for a change and to be closer to family that lives in PA. I like everything here except that it stays hot too long. Although, I'd much rather be here than in PA where I came from. My DH misses PA alot and that's kind of a compromise. NC is in between both. We'd also like to have seasons again. Here you really don't have distinct seasons. It gets cold here for about a month, but it is very tolerable. I don't care for the cold at all. We have beaches and Springs though and everything is air conditioned. Did you check out that website and what did you think about the area? What kind of work would you be doing?
I checked out the website and it seems nice. I just wonder if I will basically be stuck to just that spot and that's it and if I want to go anywhere else outside of the confines of that living/shopping place will it be a big hassle. I know that Florida is nothing like New York and it's going to be something I'd have to get use to. Hopefully my home business takes off if not I'd be looking for work in some administrative field or hospitality field since my degree is in Hospitality Management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando