Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:32 AM

272 posts, read 908,792 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of respect for the OPD. Several years ago, my friend's daughter, who was a college student at the time, was kidnapped by a serial rapist in Orlando. The OPD rescued her safely, thank God. I think they are an excellent police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flgrammie View Post
I have a lot of respect for the OPD. Several years ago, my friend's daughter, who was a college student at the time, was kidnapped by a serial rapist in Orlando. The OPD rescued her safely, thank God. I think they are an excellent police force.
wow, I remember hearing about that story on the news. I have a lot of respect for officers. I really think the OPD is going in a positive direction.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM

62 posts, read 263,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collint View Post
Hello everybody,
I'm currenty a college student here in iowa studying criminal justice. I've talked with my uncle, who is a cop in boyton beach, and asked what cities should i look at applying at in florida. One of the ones he told me was Orlando.
Now i was wondering if Orlando has a good reputation with people with in the city?
I have an old hockey buddy in the OPD. This past summer he told me they were hiring like mad and even offered me a job. I told him no thanks (I like jobs which I don't get shot at on a regular basis).

I never had any probs with the OPD, they seem to be respectful and professional. Their job's been getting tougher and tougher every year since the criminal element is growing in Orlando, especially in the triangle northwest of downtown.

Now, the Altamonte PD? Those guys are overpaid ticket hounds. Traffic tix are big business in Altamonte Springs, make sure you don't speed up there. I got ticketed doing 28 in a 25. Judge dropped the fine, but still made me pay court costs that cost as much as the fine, plus I had to use a vacation day from work. Nice. Thanks, your honor!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
OPD is a pretty good agency. They aren't as good as Tampa PD or the Broward County Sheriffs Department, but they're still a good place to work.

The down side to them is they have abandoned the Crown Vics for those god damned Impalas! Those cars have no business in police work if you ask me, and I would avoid any agency simply because of that.

But that's just me.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I lived in Jacksonville, FL for years before moving to Orlando. I have to truly say that both cities have outstanding officers who are really taxed to the max due to the rise of crime. The only people who don't have respect for these officers are the ones who have been caught doing something illegal. The rest of us give them our deepest respect and gratitude.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM

225 posts, read 1,092,306 times
thank you guys for the opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando