Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM

61 posts, read 109,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
What I can't get over is how wimpy the Orlando population has become. I have a very hard time believing that someone deliberately yelled at a young girl crossing the street.
I just wish you people would leave already. It's getting old hearing the same old song and dance every single day with the same exact topics. I only post to defend the city because some people wanting to move here need to hear rational thoughts on the place and not hyperbolic rants.

Please please please when you move back to your slice of heaven, do not come back to these boards and post the same old tirade on a daily basis! PLEASE!!?

Sorry you have a hard time believing it. Maybe you just need to face reality and realize Orlando is not what it used to be. Where did you move here from BlueOktober, as I can only assume you are not a native of the area? If you moved here from the same places everyone else I meet moved here from (NY, Puerto Rico, or NJ), I could see you how might not think things are that bad. You are probably used to this behavior so it is probably normal to you for people to be rude. Not sure what you mean by "Orlando's population becoming so wimpy," but that says to me and other natives and good residents of this city that this behavior is OK with you and should be ignored.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I would discipline my child for crossing a busy street when she didn't have the correct light signal to do so - she could have been hit. I certainly wouldnt have pampered her and give her the impression what she did was ok - no matter what the circumstances. But then again, that would be responsible and I wouldnt be able to sue someone else if she were hit.

It was red so she could go at first, but when it turned green for us, she was still crossing, and that's when this guy started yelling.

This did happen. And as a FL native, I never in a million years would have honked or yelled at her.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:18 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,042 times
Default What do you expect, it's Fla.

I saw this post and had to reply. I live in western Broward County and this is the norm here. If I'm out walking my dogs and say "hi" to someone, they look at me like I'm crazy. We have no sidewalks in my community so I have to walk in the street. I have had people almost run us down eventhough it's 2 lanes and they could easily moved over. One woman shouted obsenities at me! Another time, an elderly woman ran a stop sign and hit my car. While waiting for the cops, another woman drove past and called me the c word! I HATE Fla. and will be moving out of here as soon as I can. This state seems to bring the worst out of people. I could go on for hours but you get the point. Why do you think it is like this here? Is it like this everywhere now and when I move people will just be as rude and nasty in another state? Take care, lil red

Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM

"Is it like this everywhere now and when I move people will just be as rude and nasty in another state?"

No, absolutely not. Many parts of FL arent like this either. But there are definitely certain areas of FL, where many people move to from certain areas of the country that seem to exude this behavior more than others. The panhandle and more rural parts of FL are not like this... I'll leave it at that for now.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:09 AM

25 posts, read 48,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
I have seen and observed all types of rude behavior here in Orlando, I just come to expect it now, which I know, seems sad.

But yesterday, in my area where I live, a nice, middle to upper class area, I witnessed something that was just plain wrong.

A school-aged girl, not sure how old, was walking home from school and crossing the street. The light turned green at the intersection she was crossing. Well, one man, about 2 cars back to the front of the line started honking for the van in the front of the line to GO! There was a little girl crossing the freakin street! I thought perhaps he didnt see the girl crossing the street because he was 2nd in line not first, and perhaps he couldnt see the girl over the top of the van in front of him. Then after she made it across the street, the man started yelling at her! I couldnt believe it.

What if that was your daughter or younger sister and some ass**** is yelling at her like this? I really wanted to say something to the guy as he had his window down, but I decided not to because I have my wife and daughter in the car with me.

This is just one of the many reasons that Orlando is no longer for us. It's a shame, because Orlando used to be such a nice place. But it also goes to show, there is a lot of trash here, even in nicer areas.

And thats exactly why i'm leaving this hell hole. Orlando has taken on the personality of it's new york & miami transplants. Crime is increasing, low wages, god awful traffic and so on.

Anyone that has the oppurtunity, get out while you can. And we all know who is doing all this?

Old 01-23-2009, 10:21 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
Quote:
What I can't get over is how wimpy the Orlando population has become. I have a very hard time believing that someone deliberately yelled at a young girl crossing the street.
I just wish you people would leave already. It's getting old hearing the same old song and dance every single day with the same exact topics. I only post to defend the city because some people wanting to move here need to hear rational thoughts on the place and not hyperbolic rants.

Please please please when you move back to your slice of heaven, do not come back to these boards and post the same old tirade on a daily basis! PLEASE!!?
You can defend Orlando until you're blue in the face, but last I checked this is a public forum where people can post their opinions about Orlando. The fact that several DIFFERENT people are posting negative aspects of the Orlando while you are one of the few to defend it, says something about the area.

And yes, people are actually moving back out. I just posted that I bought another home up north but I am waiting for my kids to finish school before we permanently get the heck out of Dodge, but until then, I will vent about my frustrations about living here, so others can make an informed decision about whether or not to live here.

When I moved here over ten years ago, Orlando was still a fine place to live. The heavy migration over the past 10 years has contributed to its deterioration, as well as its development. There are still some nice parts about Orlando, and in fact, Orlando can be a great place to live. It's not the city, but the people who live within it that make up its character, and unfortunately, some of those characters who live in this metropolitan area lack common courtesy, decency, and patience.

And for all those you are calling to just leave because they don't like Orlando, it is a matter of time that they will leave, but that's not going to change the fact that this trend is going to continue, because the people who are leaving are the ones who are trying to coexist with others in a decent, humanly manner, while the ones we're complaining about will be the ones staying.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:23 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
it is obvious one of ours in a van made it there i apologize for the escape we will tighten up.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 AM

"When I moved here over ten years ago, Orlando was still a fine place to live. The heavy migration over the past 10 years has contributed to its deterioration, as well as its development. There are still some nice parts about Orlando, and in fact, Orlando can be a great place to live. It's not the city, but the people who live within it that make up its character, and unfortunately, some of those characters who live in this metropolitan area lack common courtesy, decency, and patience."

^Summed up perfectly.

And Wilshire you are right too. There are still some nice areas/people around Orlando. And I think the economy definitely is making things worse, not just here, but everywhere, like you said.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM

"but that's not going to change the fact that this trend is going to continue, because the people who are leaving are the ones who are trying to coexist with others in a decent, humanly manner, while the ones we're complaining about will be the ones staying."

^ Absolutely, positively my thoughts exactly! You took the thoughts and words right out of me. So true. I talk to some folks, and the ones that are nice and normal are moving away and have, at times, lived here for yrs, but got tired of it. And then some of the others that you wish would leave... they aint leaving, in fact, they seem to be taking over, atleast many parts or Orlando. I can take the heat and humidity, the job situation, etc... but what I cant take and the main reason why we will leave Orlando, is because of the so many people who have moved here in recent years and many of which are not the kind of people I want to be around.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
I can see where blueoktober is coming from, I just think he or she came about it a little aggressively. I do not see proof that this is a widespread problem and not just a problem specific to certain areas, and I do not think running from your problems will solve anything. I think it is a little extreme to think that Orlando is a hell hole and the "sky is falling" mentality is stated a lot on this forum and I do not really agree with it. I agree that nation as a whole is in a bad spot. I believe California and Florida are in a worse spot than states like Washington and Texas, but I would not disrupt my life over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando