Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 04:32 AM

27 posts, read 85,397 times

Advertisements

Hi,does anybody lives in Lake Mary (Seminole)? Is it nice area to raise a kid? Property prices? Public schools? It would be nice if someone will send some links! Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:17 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I live here. It's a great place to raise kids. If you do a search on here, you'll find some very helpful info about it. It maybe a little expensive for housing, but prices have definately dropped. Public schools are great, but don't be tricked, you may live in LM, but go to other schools. You can get a 1600 sq ft house for around 200K, but there are plenty of foreclosures well below that.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:20 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karoline8 View Post
Hi,does anybody lives in Lake Mary (Seminole)? Is it nice area to raise a kid? Property prices? Public schools? It would be nice if someone will send some links! Thanx
We moved to Lake Mary, FL from Maryland 7 months ago. It's a great area. Quiet but with all the amenities (very good public schools, bike trails, parks).

The official website is

City of Lake Mary, Florida

Its probably one of the more highly desirable areas in the Orlando area if you like to raise a family.

The more desirable the place, the more you will pay. So housing prices remain much higher than other parts of Orlando. Expect to pay at least 300K (just for starters for a home that may not need much work). Homes may run from 300K-Millions depending on your needs and what you are expecting.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
We moved to Lake Mary, FL from Maryland 7 months ago. It's a great area. Quiet but with all the amenities (very good public schools, bike trails, parks).

The official website is

City of Lake Mary, Florida

Its probably one of the more highly desirable areas in the Orlando area if you like to raise a family.

The more desirable the place, the more you will pay. So housing prices remain much higher than other parts of Orlando. Expect to pay at least 300K (just for starters for a home that may not need much work). Homes may run from 300K-Millions depending on your needs and what you are expecting.
I do agree houses can go up to the millions, but you can get a nice home that doesn't need work in the low 200's or less. Also, ditto about it being one of the moe highly desirable places to live.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:53 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I do agree houses can go up to the millions, but you can get a nice home that doesn't need work in the low 200's or less. Also, ditto about it being one of the moe highly desirable places to live.
Yeah, come to think about it you can get some homes in the low 200s in Lake Mary.

It all depends on the persons needs for a home.

Obviously Beckycat, you have been in the area much longer than me so know the ins and outs of Lake Mary.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Lake Mary is very nice. It is a very solid area, if you do not mind being far from downtown in a suburban setting. Avoid a Sanford address though, as Sanford is not as nice and is probably the area of Seminole county. It is also a very convenient area, with most of the major chains, retail outlets, and dining right along Lake Mary Blvd and around the Seminole Town Center Mall.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Lake Mary is very nice. It is a very solid area, if you do not mind being far from downtown in a suburban setting. Avoid a Sanford address though, as Sanford is not as nice and is probably the area of Seminole county. It is also a very convenient area, with most of the major chains, retail outlets, and dining right along Lake Mary Blvd and around the Seminole Town Center Mall.
There are also nice areas of Sanford. Downtown historic Sanford has all been redone with the Riverwalk. You can live in a very nice area of Sanford, west of I4. Also there are some decent areas off Country Club Rd, Upsala, and Lake Mary Blvd. Therefore, I wouldn't rule it out. Another option maybe Longwood. It takes me about 20 minutes to get downtown on non-peak hours. We are also about 40 minutes from the beach. By the way, I've lived here nine years.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
There are also nice areas of Sanford. Downtown historic Sanford has all been redone with the Riverwalk. You can live in a very nice area of Sanford, west of I4. Also there are some decent areas off Country Club Rd, Upsala, and Lake Mary Blvd. Therefore, I wouldn't rule it out. Another option maybe Longwood. It takes me about 20 minutes to get downtown on non-peak hours. We are also about 40 minutes from the beach. By the way, I've lived here nine years.
I do agree. I was generalizing as Lake Mary is generally nicer than Sanford, but there are exceptions in both areas.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 17,629 times
I have been a resident of Central Florida for 22 years now, and have lived in many of the different cities/communities including Orlando, Kissimmee, St. Cloud, Windermere and Lake Mary/Longwood. I have to say I favor Lake Mary/Longwood...the people are super friendly, the schools (most) are A rated, and there are a variety of shopping venues and entertainment within a short drive of most neighborhoods. Plenty of fun to be had outdoors, with the Trail, parks and gorgeous weather we have here!

Last edited by cmj_fla; 03-06-2009 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: removed realtor website. Against TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando