Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 23,658 times

Advertisements

looking into relocating to orlando area, possibly applying to florida hosp. celebration. been reading lot of good things about oviedo/winter park and avalon areas. can anyone tell me the approximate travel times b/t these areas. it looks like 417 is a nice strait connector.
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
It depends on the time of day. The Greenway generally flows fairly well, but during peak rush hours, like most roads around here is slows down and at times even backs up.

That said, as long as you're willing to pay the tolls, it's a very efficient way to get between those two areas, I'd expect it to be a 30-40 minute commute.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:21 AM

thanx!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:22 AM

by the way, just how much are the tolls down there?

Old 01-25-2009, 01:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Between $2.50 and $3.25 each way, depending on where you get on. Pretty sure using Sun Pass gives a small discount.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:32 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,388 times
5% epass discount you would qualify for easily commuting that far on the 417. You may really want to look into the Lake Nona and Dr. Phillips area's if you wanted great area's but be much closer to celebration for commute. It is only a 40ish minute commute on the 417 but it can seem much longer as along that route there are lots of desolate area's that get boring quick!

Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM

thanx for all the replies

Old 01-28-2009, 03:21 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
I'm just curious as to what has made you look at the areas that you have mentioned...there are several nice areas close by--including Celebration itself--which are very nice and have good schools--if that is something you need to consider. Celebration is very nice--but very expensive.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 AM

looking in areas above d/t many good things read and heard about them. of course will do own research-coming down in march to view areas personally. most important for us is nice neighborhood/schools (4 kids 12,10,6,6). also big factor is where i will work. i'm an er nurse and also coming to check out area hospitals. did lot of research on celebration hosp and seems nice. so many factors to consider, so nothing ruled in or out at this time.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:47 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacfam View Post
looking into relocating to orlando area, possibly applying to florida hosp. celebration. been reading lot of good things about oviedo/winter park and avalon areas. can anyone tell me the approximate travel times b/t these areas. it looks like 417 is a nice strait connector.
thank you
If I could afford to live in Celebration, I would, but I love everything Celebration offers--and the schools are also good. It is very much a family oriented community--and one of the few places that actually "feels" like you are in a town.

I agree with above poster about looking around Dr.Phillips and Lake Nona areas--both very nice areas without the long commute of Oveido, Winter Park (I-4 pain in the ???? commute unless you are going against traffic), and Avalon Park.

I really liked Avalon Park when they were building it, and it is still nice. I can't quite put my finger on it though--I took a random drive over there yesterday and didn't find it as appealing as a few years ago. One thing you should know, when you head over to Avalon, you are going to be looking at 4 huge huge concrete towers that look like a nuclear power plant practically right on top of you. It's a power plant, but not nuclear.

Much closer to Celebration Hospital (which I love, by the way) is Dr. Phillips, Windermere and Winter Garden. These would be the easiest commutes for you.

The areas I am suggesting all have excellent elementary and middle schools. The High Schools for Dr.Phillips & Windermere would be Dr. Phillips HS & Olympia HS--both B rated schools. That is very good by Florida standards. Not many A rated HS in the Orlando area,but you will find them in most of Seminole County. Winter Park was always an A rated HS, but for some reason I am thinking that this year it went down to a B--I would have to check that for sure.

After the above areas, would be the commute to the Lake Nona area. Lake Nona and its surrounds is pretty much all brand new. Lake Nona is also where they are building the new medical school and a new hospital. I don't know when the completion is for these, but they are under construction right now.

I live in Hunter's Creek, which is a nice area also. Community has strict homeowners covenants and actually has its own population of around 25,000 people. It has a larger Hispanic population than the other above areas might have. The elementary and Middle Schools are excellent, but Freedom HS has some improvement to do (lots actually)--and, it's only a few years old. My kids are all in the accelerated programs at Freedom and my daughter is in Monticello program (their version of IB)-so they do very well. If your kids are achievers, they will be fine. Hunter's Creek is a very easy 10-15 minute commute on Osceola Parkway from Celebration.

Anyway, if I can help you with anything let me know. I would be happy to. I have been in Orlando since 2001. I may not know it all, but

Also, if you are going to consider Avalon Park, Waterford Lakes is also a nice area. Waterford Lakes is just to the north of Avalon Park. Avalon and Waterford go to Timber Creek HS--which I believe is B rated. Waterford Lakes is a HUGE developed area on the same order as Hunter's Creek. Strict homeowners covenants keep the area looking nice. Great shopping right there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando