Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM

174 posts, read 637,376 times

Advertisements

Hi all, sorry to post another "moving to Orlando" thread!

My boyfriend & I currently live near Hartford, CT and are ready to leave the frigid north for some Florida sun. I have a few job opportunities in Orlando (we won't be moving until securing employment) and would like to know a little more about the area and where to potentially move. I am a Graphic Designer and my boyfriend is a Computer Programmer.

We are in our mid-20s, no kids and none planned so schools are not important. We are looking for a safe area to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for us and our two cats. We would like to be relatively close to shopping and restaurants/coffee shops. I know nothing about any of the neighborhoods/areas that are talked about on this forum, so if anyone could provide a little description and/or link to more info about certain neighborhoods that would be great. Our budget would be at most, $1000/month (but that would have to include ALL utilities/cable/internet), but we would like to stay around $800/month if possible.

Please let us know where we should start looking, any recommendations for specific apartment buildings would also be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,494,917 times
The College Park section of Orlando will fit your needs.
College Park Neighborhood Association - About College Park
MyCollegePark.com - College Park's Online Newsletter
College Park, Orlando - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,629,946 times
stay where you are if employed. Florida has no real jobs. Maybe Tampa, but, unemployment is high!
if you are a teacher, they do not need them. Also even with the crunch, your budget will not go very far! Go on line read the local papers! Disney, do forget that! Tampa, orlando paper! I would think the new tampa area would for now fit you better. Orlando is not that big of a drive to visit.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 PM

174 posts, read 637,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
stay where you are if employed. Florida has no real jobs. Maybe Tampa, but, unemployment is high!
if you are a teacher, they do not need them. Also even with the crunch, your budget will not go very far! Go on line read the local papers! Disney, do forget that! Tampa, orlando paper!
Seriously? In my post I mentioned that we would NOT move if we do not SECURE employment first. The employment situation in CT is no better. Neither of us are teachers, which I also mentioned in my post. And I don't plan on going to Disney for anything.

DailyJournalist, thank you for the links about College Park! It looks like a great place for us to check out.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,629,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post
Seriously? In my post I mentioned that we would NOT move if we do not SECURE employment first. The employment situation in CT is no better. Neither of us are teachers, which I also mentioned in my post. And I don't plan on going to Disney for anything.

DailyJournalist, thank you for the links about College Park! It looks like a great place for us to check out.
Therefore, you guys are young, and the
florida life style for warm weather, is high. Disney is ok, and they offer jobs, and being a teacher also is great. However Florida did get the bust in 2004.
Maybe check Boston, yes, cold, however, Florida has not at this time a great job market! I have been here ten years, therefore somewhat ok. Also USF is in Tampa which may help you! Frankly disney is not so bad for a visit! Also Tampa is near the beach, and sports, unless that is a big No!
frankly the New Tampa, area, Land o lakes and wesley chapel seems to be what you are looking for.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:51 PM

765 posts, read 2,627,401 times
Winter Park or Maitland may also be a good fit for you. They are nice, older and more established neighborhoods. I would also suggest checking on Dice.com for jobs. Be prepared to take a significant pay cut from what you were getting paid up there.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM

986 posts, read 3,535,040 times
This is half the problem people just want to slam the area and dont read the threads properly.

There are a number of areas which would be a good fit for you. The best advice i can suggest is if you know the areas you have applied for jobs in, that way you can work out what sort of areas to concentrate a search on so that you can set yourself a reasonable comute time.

Quote:

Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 AM

561 posts, read 1,914,616 times
Quote:
Hi all, sorry to post another "moving to Orlando" thread!

My boyfriend & I currently live near Hartford, CT and are ready to leave the frigid north for some Florida sun. I have a few job opportunities in Orlando (we won't be moving until securing employment) and would like to know a little more about the area and where to potentially move. I am a Graphic Designer and my boyfriend is a Computer Programmer.

We are in our mid-20s, no kids and none planned so schools are not important. We are looking for a safe area to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for us and our two cats. We would like to be relatively close to shopping and restaurants/coffee shops. I know nothing about any of the neighborhoods/areas that are talked about on this forum, so if anyone could provide a little description and/or link to more info about certain neighborhoods that would be great. Our budget would be at most, $1000/month (but that would have to include ALL utilities/cable/internet), but we would like to stay around $800/month if possible.

Please let us know where we should start looking, any recommendations for specific apartment buildings would also be great. Thanks!
Being from Connecticut as well, one of the areas I have come to like a lot is Belle Isle. Also some sections of Conway. Convenient, relatively safe, and many older sections with character.

It may be harder to find your price range in Belle Isle, but some areas of Conway you will.

Stay south of Lake Margaret Ave, West of Dixie Belle, and East of Orange Ave.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:33 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,116,357 times
You do not always have to be south of Lake Margaret within those boundries, but I do agree with staying west of Dixie Belle and east of Orange Ave. You can be north of Lake Margaret in the Boone HS area, the Lake Davis and Lake Como areas and some parts of Dover Shores is not bad. Also, where I am in Bryn Mawr is north of Lake Margaret. Just avoid some of the side streets adjacent to Curry Ford and the stretch of Conway from Curry Ford to Michigan. Those complexes are not nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando