Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 PM

986 posts, read 3,548,851 times

Advertisements

As someone from the UK originally i do understand your apprehension. I have lived here for some 7 years now and i would agree with Wilshire once again on this area. It isnt a great area. also keep in mind public trnasportation is dreadful here and it may aswell be non existant. You will more than likely need yoru own transportation unless you all club together and get something.

Good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 37,079 times
you carry a gun?
lol.... i really do not have much hope then.

If you need to carry a gun around with you, you have answered my question already

Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM

is anyone else able to give me more info etc?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:03 PM

986 posts, read 3,548,851 times
Im not sure what further info we can give or that you need. It isnt a great area and i think the fact that another poster stated they carry a gun says it all really in terms of that area.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:50 PM

18 posts, read 84,535 times
You'll be fine. I've lived on Kirkman for a year with no problems. I read the posts about metrowest before I moved here, and was very worried too. Once I got here, the fears were unfounded. That said, I still watch my back, like in any potentially rough area.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:00 PM

27 posts, read 65,176 times
If the Orange County Sheriff's Dept. feels the need to station 2 deputy cruisers out side the Walmart on S. Kirkman, at least at night when we visited there, that's enough for me to avoid that area. My girls and I were staying at the Portofino Bay Hotel and were given directions to this Walmart. We never felt so uncomfortable!! Avoid that area like the plague...

Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillybear View Post
If the Orange County Sheriff's Dept. feels the need to station 2 deputy cruisers out side the Walmart on S. Kirkman, at least at night when we visited there, that's enough for me to avoid that area. My girls and I were staying at the Portofino Bay Hotel and were given directions to this Walmart. We never felt so uncomfortable!! Avoid that area like the plague...
This is actually the opposite experience I had when I went there, not meant in any way to discredit you. I have only been to this Walmart once. I do not really shop at Walmart, but I had gone to multiple locations this particular night for a specific item. I went pretty late at night (10 or 11) and did not notice any security/police presense, and I felt really safe in general inside and outside the store. That is part of why this part of town freaks me out a little is that it looks and feels nicer than it really is. It was by hindsight and some of the news that came from incidents at this store afterwards that made me feel that I should probably not go back to this store. You can look at the apartments in 32811 online and on Google street view and they do not really indicate that it is not the safest part of town.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:48 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,800 times
When I look at buying a new property I call the police station and get a call list for that address it will give you a list of ever time a police officer was called within a mile of the address you give them for the last 30 days

Bob

Old 01-31-2009, 12:17 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,474 times
That is a great suggestion. I went to the Starbucks on Kirkman/Metrowest this morning and drove down Kirkman. It has been a while since I even went to the area and I had errands to run around town. The crowd out in the early morning looked and seemed decent, everything looks pretty well taken care of still. A lot of the nicer chains like Chipotle, Crispers, Starbucks are still open, well attended and people were out and about. The area during the day looks and feels perfectly fine. You would probably feel the difference being there at night and actually living there and having the prolonged exposure to some of the ongoings in the area. It sounds like the OP does not have a choice in the matter of where he is being put up. I think you could manage here, but no one is going to paint a rosy picture for you if it is not the nicest area. My biggest point of advice since you will be living there would be to not be out too late and if possible do your late night errands in other areas. Like I said, I think the area seemed fine in the day. I felt safer there than some areas on the east side I drive through and frequent like the stretch of 436 around 50 or the stretch of East Colonial between Goldenrod and Rouse. I am rambling a little here, so I will come to a stop, but like I said this area is not the top spot but you could be in a worse place as well.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Ok guys, i feel slightly better now, ill watch my back etc of course, but i guess after all it is America, not small little Uk. haha

So if anyone see's a lost and scared looking English girl in a couple of months time... please do stop and help!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: