Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny1948 View Post
I think Florida in general is the armpit of the world.............
Kenny that "honor" has long been reserved by Detroit....

Old 02-21-2008, 12:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny1948 View Post

Now on the other hand, if you like urban sprawl, big cars, wastefulness, Christian Conservatism then you have picked the right place!
This doesn't really describe my part of Florida. You can't even build past a certain point here, and my county hosts the second largest gay population outside of San Francisco, so to that I say so much for "Christan conservatism". In fact, it might be the best place for a middle aged gay man in the country, and almost certainly for an interracial gay couple. Also, there are probably four major gyms within a mile radius to me (definitely four that I know of actually, but probably more), and I can get organic prepared foods down the block, as can many in my section of the state. Most traffic lights have LED bulbs, and seemingly most homes and business have energy efficient bulbs as well, however the recycling is positively terrible. I haven't been to many restaurants that don't offer healthy dining options (Whole wheat over white, etc). No, it's not San Fran I will give you that, but realize some people also aren't far left liberal, and might even like it that way. The college towns are also socially not backwards either. As far as big cars, Christan conservatism and wastefulness, I encountered plenty of that in south Orange County (CA). And crime? Isn't that out west too? LOL! Guess it depends on where you lived out west too...my section of the state has a lot of people complaining about crime, but statistically it's very near the national average, and this is for a crowded, diverse minority-majority area.

By the way, isn't Texas west of the Mississippi? LOL! I love Texas but that is the epitome of what you speak.

Florida is not as diverse as California, but it's plenty diverse. Every part of the state is different, and yes the Tampa area tends to be on the conservative side, and maybe home to some of the less image concerned (not that this is such a bad thing, like you seem to be making it out to be).

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-21-2008 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

640 posts, read 3,075,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
Kenny that "honor" has long been reserved by Detroit....
On the west coast, the honor goes to Bakersfield.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I live in Lake Mary and I like the convenience and being close to the beach. Everything you need is within a 10-15 minute drive.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:14 PM

88 posts, read 264,752 times
Default Carpenter's union? NJ to Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernail View Post
i would like to relocate, how hard will it be to get my husband a job for disney in the construction/forman field ? any idea what the pay is like, he is in a union in nj,i know the pay will be different just wondering how different.....
Chernail,
You better make some phone calls to see if they even have a local here. This place is NOT like up north in any way, shape or form. Be prepared for a huge culture shock...pay goes down by half, jobs especially in construction are on the downslide. And have been for a year or so. The whole industry building, remodeling, real estate, mortgages, drywall (our neighbors are in Chicago now for work, their house is empty), roofing, plumbers, appraisers. Anyone linked with the building industry is having a tough time right now in this area.
My one brother who was in the union up in Jersey used to complain about how Florida wants a license for this and that...take a test to be a carpenter here, contractor's license, then there's the worker's comp. Maybe that was to be self-employed but bottom line...Florida always wants something out of you. Call ahead.
P.S. My brother also said none of these people knew what they were doing when they came to do a job, they would steal your tools, there were lower building standards, lack of codes. It ought to be a real life changer.............best of luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:14 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times
Chernail,

We are in somewhat of the same position. My husband is in the carpenters union in Los Angeles, and we are trying to get information about transferring unions. I called the Orlando local and the secretary said that there is a lot of unemployment right now, and that carpenters are hurting down there. I am really upset about that because we want to move soon! It might be a country-wide problem, though - my husband is unemployed right now because the work is so slow in SoCal.

Old 03-01-2008, 05:31 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
I think a lot of the negativity comes from people who move here because they are unhappy with their lives where they used to live. I think a lot of the rudeness comes from the notorious "New Yorker" personality. I think people who live here remember Orlando the way it used to be and become disappointed in "growing pains". I moved to Orlando in 2005 from Portland, Oregon and I love Orlando. I think it is clean and safe and full of entertainment options. I have a great job for not having a degree and live in a safe and quiet neighborhood (Conway) even if it is not the nicest or newest in town. I think that people drive aggressively in town and complain a lot, but I think that people expect too much of Orlando because it is a place people visit and long to escape to realize that it is just a normal place with pros and cons. There are a lot of exaggerations on this site and a ton of things I do not agree with. I do not make 100k or live in a mansion but I love Orlando and think it is a great place to live. If you want an unbiased view or list of great areas in town, talk to me. I like Conway a lot. It is close to downtown and those urban amenities. It is also close to the airport and the beachline. The beachline makes disney and idrive convenient. There are always new restaurants and stores opening and changes occurring. It is a vibrant and beautiful place to be. Now I am rambling as well, but I do not think people are painting a very accurate picture. It is not Detroit or Buffalo, on the other end, it is not NY or LA. =)

Old 03-02-2008, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,781 times
Default Wow - what a thread -

I just spent the last 45 min reading every post in this thread and now I don't know if I should keep packing or totally freak out and climb back into bed! I'm moving to the area in March from Kansas City. The office I will be working at is in Maitland off of Trafalgar? I work for Sprint and I'll be managing a team of technicians that work 3-11pm. I'm originally from NYC but I have lived in Denver, Dallas, Nashville and Kansas City. I have eldery parents in the Port Richey/Hudson area so at least I will get to see them more often. I make a decent living (close to 80K) and I don't know if I should view this as a year long "re-assignment" or a brand new opportunity that has long term potential. I'm not really into the hot, humid temps but believe it or not it's hot and humid here in Kansas City as well. And I don't think I'll miss the minus 8 degree windchill in February. I'll be visiting in a few weeks and I'm probably in for a HUGE shock. But, I can't do anything about it. I'm 52, SWM, and I've been working for Sprint for 21 years and I'm not giving up the good salary and benefits that I've worked hard to enjoy. I'm reading everything I can, and so far I have yet to be able to find any consistency in the sentiments discussed here. I don't know if I am doomed or about to embark on a great adventure!

Old 03-02-2008, 04:20 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dataguy View Post
I just spent the last 45 min reading every post in this thread and now I don't know if I should keep packing or totally freak out and climb back into bed! I'm moving to the area in March from Kansas City. The office I will be working at is in Maitland off of Trafalgar? I work for Sprint and I'll be managing a team of technicians that work 3-11pm. I'm originally from NYC but I have lived in Denver, Dallas, Nashville and Kansas City. I have eldery parents in the Port Richey/Hudson area so at least I will get to see them more often. I make a decent living (close to 80K) and I don't know if I should view this as a year long "re-assignment" or a brand new opportunity that has long term potential. I'm not really into the hot, humid temps but believe it or not it's hot and humid here in Kansas City as well. And I don't think I'll miss the minus 8 degree windchill in February. I'll be visiting in a few weeks and I'm probably in for a HUGE shock. But, I can't do anything about it. I'm 52, SWM, and I've been working for Sprint for 21 years and I'm not giving up the good salary and benefits that I've worked hard to enjoy. I'm reading everything I can, and so far I have yet to be able to find any consistency in the sentiments discussed here. I don't know if I am doomed or about to embark on a great adventure!

I wouldn`t take this as your only source of info as this forum is inundated with negative posters who want to move. I have lived here more then 20 years and it`s not as bad as this thread makes it out to be.

Sure there are issues but what place does not have them? In the end it`s up to you do your reaserch and take a visit and see if you like it here.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:21 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,212,021 times
Believe me, you don't know what heat and humidity is until you live in Florida, especially during the summer. Kansas City is nothing!! You'll probably like it at first, but soon get bored and driving around Orlando isn't fun. But you'll also be close to the beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando