Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM

392 posts, read 1,375,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We don't have much crime, but the crime is usually theft of your personal items. Usually, teenagers breaking into your house while you're not home and stealing your stuff.
Thats kind of a non chalant attitude-is this a common occurence? Are these neighborhood kids, or kids from other areas?

I've been lurking here for a few days and have a question. With the prices of real estate what they are down there (or were), how do all the "ghetto" folk get houses or pay rents? Is it just from fencing the goods they steal? Drugs?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 13,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinfl View Post
HELP....Get me out of Orlando! Jobs pay nothing here...$6.50-$12... if you're lucky! A lot of companies want you to work for commission ONLY...
Almost everyone is Hispanic! Where have the Caucasians gone? Don't belong here!
I'm desperately searching for a nice place to live...where it isn't freezing cold & you don't need to be a millionaire to afford it...
Any suggestions would be appreciated...
I feel your pain I have been here for a little over a year and feel it was the biggest mistake we made, Have you considered Texas? I would move back there in a heartbeat if we could.I loved coming here for vacations in the summer but living here has been a different story.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,635 times
The housing costs are too high compared to the wages. Most people are not engineers, goes without saying. ALOT of people in Orlando are house rich, cash poor.

It's also one giant suburb. We will never have things like a good bus service or light rail here because of the way the area has been zoned, the population densities are relatively low and most of the businesses and employers are scattered over the suburbs. In the future this will severely impact the areas growth and quality of life. Some areas of Orlando already have very long rush hours and mobility within the metro area is compromised.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,177 times
I Plan To Move Fron New Jersey To Florida In 6 Month Can Samebody Tel,me Is Saint Cloud A Good Area?... Acspm47

Old 02-16-2008, 10:42 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,106,636 times
I don't understand why Orlando has more crime now as compared to when I last visited which was 13 yrs ago. Orlando has always been a tourist mecca with Disney and all the other tourist attractions. What happened.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:27 AM

541 posts, read 1,995,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
I don't understand why Orlando has more crime now as compared to when I last visited which was 13 yrs ago. Orlando has always been a tourist mecca with Disney and all the other tourist attractions. What happened.
When people are not making enough to live on they become desperate. Crime goes up. In Celebration we had 8 or 9 Jeeps broken into the other night. They stole the soft tops and the doors and are probably selling them on Ebay right now. There are also a lot of gangs and drug issues in Orlando.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:22 PM

37 posts, read 107,758 times
Question for FORMERTEXAN, what part of Texas are you/were you from most recently since you said you would move back there in a heartbeat?

We live in Oregon and are considering the central Florida area as well as someplace in Texas. Just depends on certain factors.

Feel free to email me privately if necessary - Mark

Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 PM

99 posts, read 327,489 times
I am a recent college graduate from the Midwest (Iowa), and I am considering a move to Orlando, Miami, Cocoa Beach, and Jacksonville to participate in a year-long government program. (Americorps) Can anyone please inform me about the pros and cons of residing in all of these areas? I hope that I am placed in Orlando, but, I understand that I may be working for a nonprofit elsewhere in the state. What's the hurricane situation like? I know that Orlando's about 45 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, but, come on, that's close enough, I suppose. Jacksonville's obviously in hurricane territory, which is a major concern for me as well. What's the climate like in the summer? Having family in the Gulf South (Mississippi, Alabama), I know that it can get pretty humid during the summer months. I am guessing Central Florida's the same way.

And how's the dating scene for singles? Finally, which areas of the metro offer racially diverse neighborhoods and towns? (I am African American) I enjoy diverse areas--racial, georgraphical, and religious--and hope to encounter all of that in Central Florida. Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by JTJ1977; 02-18-2008 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention climate questions

Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
I am a recent college graduate from the Midwest (Iowa), and I am considering a move to Orlando, Miami, Cocoa Beach, and Jacksonville to participate in a year-long government program. (Americorps) Can anyone please inform me about the pros and cons of residing in all of these areas? I hope that I am placed in Orlando, but, I understand that I may be working for a nonprofit elsewhere in the state. What's the hurricane situation like? I know that Orlando's about 45 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, but, come on, that's close enough, I suppose. Jacksonville's obviously in hurricane territory, which is a major concern for me as well. What's the climate like in the summer? Having family in the Gulf South (Mississippi, Alabama), I know that it can get pretty humid during the summer months. I am guessing Central Florida's the same way.

And how's the dating scene for singles? Finally, which areas of the metro offer racially diverse neighborhoods and towns? (I am African American) I enjoy diverse areas--racial, georgraphical, and religious--and hope to encounter all of that in Central Florida. Thanks for your replies.
The pros in Orlando are
-You shouldn't feel uncomfortable about your race.
-Dating scene is actually decent.
Cons
-Ridiculous traffic
-Transient-mania population
-Mostly jobs that pay 7 dollars an hour
-High crime rate
-There is still an underlying racial tension there, but I think it's a tension more in general due to the transience.
-Far from the beach
-Particularly disgusting summer

Pros in Cocoa Beach
-Right on the water
Cons
-Not that diverse

Pros in Miami
-Top notch nightlife
-Feels like a different country at times
Cons
-Not really all that diverse (mostly Hispanic groups and blacks tend to live in their own enclaves)
-High levels of poverty and crime
-Gold digger dating scene
-Feels like a different country at times

Hurricane situation is the same statewide, but JAX has been spared for a long time.

I don't know enough about JAX to speak for the pros and cons.

The best place in Florida for someone looking for a diverse locale is BY FAR Ft. Lauderdale, hands down.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 87,127 times
I absolutely hate traffic. I think its horrible for the environment, people's cash flows, and their waistlines. What are the walkable, livable areas of Orlando to live in without need of a car? Is it too hot and sticky to ride my bike most of the year? Also, what is the downtown like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando