Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times

Advertisements

Finally found a house we're really interested in, but we just realized it's on the flight path for the Orlando Sanford Int Airport. I try not to fall in love with houses, but I must admit, I'm a little attached.

Anyone know Timacuan well or have heard anything about the airplane noise going overhead? How bad is it? Frequent?

Anyone live/lived close to an airport/flight path care to share your experience? This airport is about 3-4 miles away(guessing), but the neighborhood appears to be right in line with the longest runway. In the final approach territory.

Trying to figure out if we should just keep looking...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I live in the flight path of the newest runway for OIA... I would not recommend it. If I had it to do over again I would make a different choice. And i love airplanes and was raised on air force bases so I had 7 am wake up fly overs every day...

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
How does a buyer find such information out? Can you share? We are currently looking as well...thanks!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 PM

62 posts, read 263,529 times
Google map an address, zoom out a bit, see if your house is near an airport by either end of a runway. That should do it.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:44 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
Another way you will find out is when you are viewing properties. I recommend to clients to visit the property at different times of the day. That way you can check out the neighbourhood and traffic etc. With an airport like Orlando international which is a busy airport the liklihood is you will know pretty much straight away as it is unlikley to have a quiet time so whenever you view the property you will notice the noise. Also keep in mind, i have seen alot of people on here looking for properties close to the airport. There is going to be a downside when looking for a property close to an airport and this is it.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
The Sanford Airport is a very small airport. Therefore, not many flights go out in a day. MY DH has done work there all day and maybe heard one plane go by. It's not bad at all!

Old 01-28-2009, 06:02 PM

986 posts, read 3,549,070 times
As i said, the best advice is the visit the neighbourhood at different times of the day and judge it yourself. what one person finds acceptable another may not. Whilst it is a regional airport, keep in mind it is still an airport nonetheless which also has alot of flight schools using it, and has numerous flights and tourists coming in from Europe daily.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Thanks everyone. We're still going back and forth on this. It's so hard to decide

We live pretty far, but it's probably best to just sit tight and not make a decision now. I've got to send my husband down there to sit for a day to check out the airplane situation. And if the house is gone by then, then maybe it was not meant to be. Better to have money in my pocket and wishing we had bought the house rather than wishing we didn't buy it, especially in this market.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM

105 posts, read 214,227 times
If you really like the house buy it! Even though Sanford Airport is growing you can get used to the noise of big machinery in no time. It's actually quite comforting to know that there are people all around. Consider it a perk of Nouveau Riche And Timacuan is right in the center of Lake Mary. So you don't have to be marginal.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:13 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Have you looked also into the schools there if you have children or will have children going to school there? Also, don't solely rely on the Florida school ratings system for that analysis. I have been using a third party such as Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed to compare across states. I can look up my local schools that I am familiar with, and compare it to the area I am looking to buy in and get a reasonable comparison that way. Just another ingredient to throw into the mix for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
Finally found a house we're really interested in, but we just realized it's on the flight path for the Orlando Sanford Int Airport. I try not to fall in love with houses, but I must admit, I'm a little attached.

Anyone know Timacuan well or have heard anything about the airplane noise going overhead? How bad is it? Frequent?

Anyone live/lived close to an airport/flight path care to share your experience? This airport is about 3-4 miles away(guessing), but the neighborhood appears to be right in line with the longest runway. In the final approach territory.

Trying to figure out if we should just keep looking...

Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando