Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,119,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I grew up in Orlando and Central Florida and it just slays me that it has become a totally lawless place!
This is unrelated to the Walmart topic and you are very dramatic. This type of stuff happens everywhere in the country. Do your research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,895,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
At 1st I'm like OMG!!!!

I was a little suspicious because I shop at the one in Ocoee and feel safer there than the one in Apopka.
So I click on the full report......they have listed every shoplifting, car accident and false alarm.
Get back to me when the list more of the serious crimes.
I'm with you. I've always felt just as safe at WalMart as any other large parking lot. The great part is.....if I make it to my car....I've bought more stuff with less money. It's all good.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 AM

88 posts, read 310,903 times
Go to the Kirkman store or the John Young store after dark and tell me how safe you feel then.

IMO, Wal-Marts breed crime like ponds breed mosquitoes. I bet the crime statistics for Target stores are less than 20% of those numbers.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:42 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,699,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
That's the way they are in TN too, but not here.....or are you being facetious? They really are nice in Nashville - people treat them as malls.
Oh...I am serious..I go there all the time. I also go to the Shoprite next to it...great grocery prices!

Walmarts are generally built in the areas of town where there target markets are, lower income people (and I don't mean the dregs of society!!) Middle-lower income...folks who are pinching their pennies. You won't see one in the section of town with the million dollar homes just lining the streets...so of course crime will be higher due to the people attracted to the stores. They do a good job, IMO, with security, cameras, excellent lighting and so forth of prevention, in as much as they can. My Walmart is the next town over from the worst possible city we have, Chester, and I don't feel afraid to go there at all. I chat with the one cashier all the time, she is a retired gov't employee and just enjoying her free time, just picking up a little extra cash at Walmart...lol

Old 02-08-2009, 09:48 AM

206 posts, read 1,131,673 times
I noticed that they only did research on 551 Walmarts. I'm sure there are many more. For instance, not listed, is the one on E. 50 in Orlando near Alafaya Trail.

I have personal experience there. My purse was yanked out of my cart in the parking lot. YES I was stupid to have it sitting there in the seat...BUT we all learn from things like this too.

I was putting my groceries in the back of my Honda CRV. My purse was in the seat of the cart away from me. A GOLD TOYOTA MAXIMA drove up and a nice looking young man exited from the passenger side. He calmly walked up to me, smiled and asked for directions.... then grabbed my purse and jumped back into the car as it drove away. At which point I screamed. MANY customers came to my assistance and one gentleman ran after the car in the hopes of getting a plate number. Another lady had the cops on the phone before she even got to where I was. The Walmart security guard arrived shortly in his golf cart. I went into the store and filed a report. The cops arrived. I filed a report with them.

I had to call my friend to go to my house and get my extra car key, my keys were in the purse. She arrived shortly and I drove home. SCARED TO DEATH.... these people had... my keys to my car and house, my license (name & Address ), my cellphone (brand new), my work ID badge, my credit cards, my checking account debit card, my checkbook, some photographs and assorted other "stuff" that women keep in thier purse. What they didn't get were my SS# Card and CASH !! I never never carry the SS Card, I pay for most everything with the debit card, I had less than 5.00 in cash in that purse.

When I got home I immediately called my Watchdog account and got all the cards in the purse cancelled. I called my bank and reported the debit card stolen as well as the checks in the checkbook. I got another credit card that was not in the purse. I went to Home Depot and bought new locks for the front door and garage door. I locked my car in the garage, which I normally did not use, and myself in the house and barely slept all night. The next day, Monday, I called a locksmith to change the locks on my car ($250.00). I spent several hours walking along the roadside near the Walmart looking in ditches and dumpsters. I just knew they only wanted cash and figured they would toss the purse once they figured out there was no cash. I never found it.... I was never contacted by Walmart or the police. Those camera's walmart has in the parking lot are not worth the effort. They don't cover the whole parking lot and the media they are recoding on are over written within days.

I never went back to that Walmart again. I moved from that area a year later and this year I moved out of Florida to Kentucky. There are no Walmarts from Kentucky listed on this report.

I now carry a much smaller purse with very little in it. Some times I just leave it at home and take only the debit card in my pocket. The purse is small enough to fit under my arm and close to my body. When I shop it goes on the seat of the cart, with the seat belt wrapped around the handle a few times. When my hands are on the cart handle, they also have the purse handle. When I am unloading the groceries, the first thing in the vehicle is my purse with the passenger door of the car is locked. The keys are in my pocket.

I see so many women that leave their purse in the cart in the store and in the parking lot. Lots of times it's wide open and you can see everything inside. Many are not paying attention to it and are concentrating on their shopping, reading labels on boxes and jars, talking to or disciplining children. One day they too will learn this lesson.... it's only a matter of time.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent1900 View Post
Go to the Kirkman store or the John Young store after dark and tell me how safe you feel then.

IMO, Wal-Marts breed crime like ponds breed mosquitoes. I bet the crime statistics for Target stores are less than 20% of those numbers.
I agree. I like Target much more and feel they are safer. I feel like it is the difference between a Publix and Winn Dixie. Some stores are just trashy and Walmart has a bad image.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,104,404 times
car jacking and shooting happen here at walmart esp during holidays. we got a ghetto walmart and an uptown walmart. ghetto walmart is ok during the day and non holiday period. for some reason i feel more at home in the ghetto walmart, i like the staff and know many of them community sense i suppose.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 PM

631 posts, read 2,442,750 times
There's a WalMart in Williamson County TN (Franklin is the main city - this is a very rich area) and I saw women with Furs and rings bigger than my car shopping there. It just all depends on where they are. Unfortunately the ones in the Orlando area are all terrible. The new one near Dr. Phillips looks really nice; has anyone here been to it?

The new SoDo Target downtown gets all of my attention these days!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
There's a WalMart in Williamson County TN (Franklin is the main city - this is a very rich area) and I saw women with Furs and rings bigger than my car shopping there. It just all depends on where they are. Unfortunately the ones in the Orlando area are all terrible. The new one near Dr. Phillips looks really nice; has anyone here been to it?

The new SoDo Target downtown gets all of my attention these days!
I have been in that one (Dr Phillips) and the one in Kissimmee on Poinciana and Vineland and they were both nice inside and out. They are much nicer than say the Sand Lake/John Young, Kirkman, S. Semoran, and East Colonial though. That list concludes the stores I have been to in the Orlando area. The Neighborhood stores (I have only been to the one on Chickasaw/Lake Underhill) also do not seem as bad as the huge stores which generally have that weathered overly trafficked look. I think chaotic is a good word. Overall even a Target in a bad neighborhood like W Colonial is in a lot better shape IMO than a Walmart in a okay to decent area. I think it is just the type of bargain hunting crowd they attract. I am not trying to offend anyone, but tell me if you see the same type of people at Target that you do at Walmart. I honestly do not think you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando