Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

77 posts, read 288,008 times

Advertisements

Orlando is middle of the road. There may be a lot of things to do but it's not real easy to get to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin Eater View Post
Orlando is middle of the road. There may be a lot of things to do but it's not real easy to get to them.
Thats exactly what I believe makes many find Orlando boring. Orlando's lack of urbanity is what is hurting its image. Its a problem suffered by many newer cities in Florida and some out of state cities aswell.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM

129 posts, read 448,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
How is Miami overated? It is the largest city in Florida with the most nightlife. That is not overating it, that is a fact.
And your point. If you want to get technical, Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida, in land size and population. Miami may have the most night clubs, doesnt make them better, it means more suckers go there. Since when does having the most make it the best?

Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
The question of Orlando bieng boring is purely subjective. I'm originally from N.Y. and of course it's not going to compete in terms of nightlife and culture but I like the mid level pace, the nitelife is decent for a city of this size, and I like the theme parks. I do agree though that if Orlando improved it's mass transit system it would make it easier to access all that is available.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
And your point.
My point is that Miami has the best nightlife, restaurants, and big city feel of any location in Florida. I am sorry you don't like it but I can understand since Miami can be overwhelming to someone from Greenville.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:01 AM

12 posts, read 26,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hello from Philly.
Not to stir any flames here but I had once considered moving to Orlando to live and work but when I came down to visit I was pretty turned off by it. Orlando seems to be a very quiet town with not many people and things going on. Granted they have Disney World here but besides that, what else is there in this city that would attract a young guy or girl to this town?
I remember when I came here for my first time, prolly 7-8 years ago, I loved this city (probably mainly becuase I was younger and due to Disney World). But now since my second trip there couple months back, I was pretty bored there. I had a hard time finding things to do, bars to go drink or even other young people to socialize with.
Any inputs?
Thanks
I wouldnt say Orlando is boring, its like every other major city I think. You live here for a certain time and you become so familiar with your surroundings that it all becomes ubiquitous and you start to view things as bland or boring. I've lived in Orlando on and off since 1995, the city has grown a lot and there is a lot mroe to do then there was 14 yrs ago, but now that growth has slowed down I feel the need for something fresh and new, I still love Orlando and always will, my interest in the city itself just isnt as strong as it used to be thats all. Im used to life here and Ill probably never leave unless Im going on vacation

Old 02-25-2009, 05:00 PM

57 posts, read 168,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hey guys,

I appreciate your replies. Im not exactly sure the names of places where I stayed or visited but my hotel was near the Orlando Convention Center. As someone here mentioned earlier, yes I supposed I stayed at the touristy areas and dined at the touristy restuarants and only saw the tourists.
I guess I should pay more visits to the area (local areas) and give it another shot before deeming it boring. Thanks~
You stayed in one of the most touristy areas Orlando has. And I can tell you from experience, its gets pretty quiet around there at night. You need to go downtown.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:41 PM

129 posts, read 448,160 times
Quote:
My point is that Miami has the best nightlife, restaurants, and big city feel of any location in Florida. I am sorry you don't like it but I can understand since Miami can be overwhelming to someone from Greenville.
I've lived in orlando and miami, so i speak from personal experience. Visiting once for spring break doesnt make you an expert on the subject. My title is NowInGreenville, not BornInGreenville.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:41 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I think the local governments need to make a stronger effort to showcase the real Orlando and tie it into the tourist Orlando. One idea that was floated years back and may still become a reality with the completion of the commuter rail is creating an efficient mode of transportation to allow Conventioners to get out of the tourist corridor and see other parts of Orlando. Imagine how much places like Park Ave and Thornton Park could enhance the experience of out of town conventioneers. Orlando, right now, seems to have two separate identities. One for those visiting, and one for those who live here. Kind of how most of our homes have the formal living room which is rarely ever sat in and used to entertain guest, and the real living room with the old beat up comfortable furniture and where real life happens. We need to start opening up our whole house to the visitors. In other convention cities like Chicago and N.O. you are smack dab in the middle of the city. We need to bring our city together.
Really good point. I've visited Orlando for the last few years in January...but I've only seen the tourist side But, I've only had 7-10 days there. And half of those were at the parks.

I think one problem for tourists might be, not enough time allotted to see all of Orlando. You think, well....a couple days at the parks. Another couple days around town...international drive, or hanging around the hotel. Or going to a mall.

My impression has been....

-It's modern.
-A lot of ammenities.
-Big tourist/convention.
-Doesnt have the night life or culture of miami, chicago, nyc, la. But not everyone wants the hussle and bussle of those cities.

Boring...no. Boring is little towns in the middle of nowhere, and you're bored staring off into space. Havent experienced that in Orlando.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
I'm from NYC and don't find Miami "all that." In all honesty it depends on they TYPE of night life you want. If you want rock and roll, there is NOTHING in the Miami area, you have to go north to Ft. Lauderdale. Even there it's not that great of a scene--which is why all the Lauderdale bands play in Orlando and Jacksonville.

And for the record, being in a big city is no guarantee of having the best restaurants. The #1 rated restaurant in the United States is French Laundry, located in Yountville, California. Population around 3000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando