Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 09:48 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,768 times

Advertisements

It makes sense to make the people who use the toll roads to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 10:29 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Your logic is flawed. Everyone will pay higher taxes for your convenience. It's not a convenience to all, just to a small few.
Small few ? Hardly ... funny how some folks will complain about a 25 cent toll increase, but go out and pay $3 for a beer at a bar or buy a new pair of $50 jeans when they don't need them.

Old 12-18-2010, 03:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Small few ? Hardly ... funny how some folks will complain about a 25 cent toll increase, but go out and pay $3 for a beer at a bar or buy a new pair of $50 jeans when they don't need them.
What does a $3 beer or $50 jeans (that's pretty cheap for both, by the way) have anything to do with toll roads? If you want to use them, then pay the going rate, but don't expect others to subsidize your convenience.

And considering there are millions of people in this state who would end up with higher taxes to cover the cost of the roads if they were free, when only 100K of them actually use those roads, then yes, in the big picture it is a small few.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Default Who is actually funding the toll roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
If you don't like the toll then don't take the road.

Move closer to your job and skip tolls and surface time altogether.

I have a Sunpass and use it 2-3 times annually while a neighbor of mine will jump on and pay the .50 to go just 1 mile.

Seems silly to me.
Other cities manage to build new roads and provide transportation across their city... without tolls -- by using tax funding.

I wonder how much of the Orlando toll road system is actually paid fror out of collected tolls ... and how much is actually funded by tax dollars?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Other cities manage to build new roads and provide transportation across their city... without tolls -- by using tax funding.

I wonder how much of the Orlando toll road system is actually paid fror out of collected tolls ... and how much is actually funded by tax dollars?
FYI--about 90% of mass transit funding comes from the Federal government. (ie our tax dollars.) About 50% of the money the feds pay out for public transit goes to support rural transit systems that primarily serve paratransit and seniors.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,797 times
Default Plastic bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My water, sewer, garbage collection, irrigation water, electric, gas, and digital cable/Internet combined doesn't add up to $400 a month averaged out over the year--I'm not sure how you can be paying that much year round unless you are heating to 90 and cooling to 62 and have a huge house.

I'm ALL FOR taxing for plastic bags. I carry my own reusable cloth sacks shopping with me, and only use plastic for fresh meat--all of it goes into one bag. Ten cents isn't going to make or break my food budget, and it will help offset carbon footprints.

Do I think that we should have handed out all the bail-out money we did without the upper management and executives taking drastic pay cuts? No. But I don't see where becoming more environmentally friendly in our day-to-day lives is related to bail-outs.
We have 2 little dogs and use most every plastc bag we get from stores including from neighbors. I still want them.
In the cold weather they make for nice hand warmers; no kidding.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
We have 2 little dogs and use most every plastc bag we get from stores including from neighbors. I still want them.
In the cold weather they make for nice hand warmers; no kidding.
Install a Doggy Dooley and use a pooper scooper--100% biodynamic way to deal with waste. And invest in a pair of gloves that will last 10 years.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 AM

428 posts, read 1,082,797 times
Nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando