Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

England to Florida relocation with special needs daughter, immigration attorney advice, federal and state healthcare, employment, health insurance compared to options in France and Spain

Old 03-03-2009, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,446 times

Advertisements

Hello all
our family would very much like to relocate from england to florida ,we have 2 children charlotte 20 and Dallas who has just turned 9 she is our little angel who is severely disabled and our move is for her sake as well as ours.we think she would have a better life especially the weather!
i have been told that all our money will be gone soon with having to pay for all dallas meds ,insurance etc i was gutted thats why i thought id have one more go and ask you guys.
surely having a special needs child shouldnt count against us or her.
please help any info will be greatly appreciated.Thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,304 times
Donna-- I would recommend you talk to an immigration attorney since your situation involves a disabled child. This seems like a very difficult situation and I am sure the last thing you would want is to move to the state's and find out your daughter is not eligable for public assistance. You are in my prayers, I hope you are guided to where you belong....

Last edited by Guntersville Boomer; 03-03-2009 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 PM

23 posts, read 98,939 times
My priority advice would be to obtain an experienced attorney and consult your consulate.

(I know someone who went thru this process, in the past 2 years. Do you have any qualified skills that could be considered a HIGHLY SPECIALIZED Profession? Consideration is given to those of Higher Education and Professionals; Doctors/Surgeons/Scientists etc. Do you have any immediate family members in the US? The country of UK origin can also affect visa approval; England has quite a few applications, so the wait is much longer to be eligible.)

Concerning your special needs child:

Since America DOES NOT have a Social Medicine Program, YOU would be responsible for all Medical Expenditures for "the Entire Family Group". If your child is in need of services found ONLY in the U.S.; this could qualify as a hardship case and a Visa of 30-60 or 90 days could be allowed, BUT the UK has an excellent Medical Program and it is highly unlikely that a hardship would be determined. In fact; this health issue could actually deter a Visa application, unless you could prove personal funds in excess of approx. $75,000-$100,000.00 US Dollars to be allocated for living expenses. You would not be eligible for employment for at least 12-24 months (with an additional hearing and Visa in the US) and you must substantiate ability to support all members for the duration of VISIT - WITHOUT EMPLOYMENT. After all this; you could still be denied a renewal of Visa, unless you can fulfill all of the additional requirements and the review board is favorable.

I have friends from the UK, and they cannot seem to understand how America does not have the same type of Medical Systems that they are familiar with servicing. Ours - is very different BUT it is how America chooses to practice, and we must abide by the precedence.

Your 20 year old daughter will possibly have to apply as a separate adult and would not be considered a dependant due to her age. So, she may or may not be allowed to accompany the remainder of the family and must file her application separate from the rest of the group.

I am not saying it is impossible, but it would be very difficult to obtain a visa for all of your family members without a substantial amount of funds and a highly skilled lawyer.

Good Luck

Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna666 View Post
Hello all
our family would very much like to relocate from england to florida ,we have 2 children charlotte 20 and Dallas who has just turned 9 she is our little angel who is severely disabled and our move is for her sake as well as ours.we think she would have a better life especially the weather!
i have been told that all our money will be gone soon with having to pay for all dallas meds ,insurance etc i was gutted thats why i thought id have one more go and ask you guys.
surely having a special needs child shouldnt count against us or her.
please help any info will be greatly appreciated.Thankyou
If you are allowed to move here and are eligible for federal/state healthcare programs,New Jersey is one of the top states.I live in NY and my daughter has autism but NJ is much better.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:44 AM

55 posts, read 233,938 times
Hi Donna

Please can you give us more info on your situation, as it stand from the info you have given (very little) I am sorry but you do not have a hope. What are your skills etc you will need to
1) Get a sponsor via your employment or
2) Start your own business.
I have listed several times on this website the new thinking on the E2 visa please see the post by the Johnsonfamily below Please READ THIS IT IS IMPORTANT!!!

//www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...do-advice.html

The USA is not easy to get into and even more so now with unemployment running at 8%
Living in Florida is NOT cheap.
No Free Medical care etc etc.
Have you thought about staying inside the EU and moving to say France or Spain (Good weather,Good Healthcare).
Just a thought.
Please give us more info so we can help you.
Very best Regards to you and your family.
Martin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: