Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,493 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a home in St. John's Landing in Winter Springs and was wondering if anyone knows this area and have heard anything good or bad about this particular development. There are quite a few homes for sale in this little neighborhood. I'm not sure if I should be concerned that there's something wrong or if it's just a sign of the times. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 08:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,685 times
GREAT neighborhood, right on Lake Jessup with community dock, small and secluded but still walking distance to the towncenter. I see 3 properties still active in there for sale, and know of at least two others that were for sale and likely still available (doesn't look like they sold, just expired), one with lake frontage.
Two of the properties have pretty motivated owners and both are in GREAT condition with lots of upgrades (the owners themselves are builders).

I've shown many of the homes in the neighborhood (obviously) and have been keeping an eye on them for some time since then. Really not sure why the homes still available haven't sold, but it's likely just because they were overpriced. Prices have gone down though, and it is a great neighborhood.

I'd be glad to talk with you more about the neighborhood, I have negotiated or talked with most of the sellers before and may be able to get you that extra edge.

Which particular home had your eye? The one with the great pool and theatre room; the one with the wood floors, no pool, and at the entrance; the new one on the market with the white cabinets; or have you seen the other two not technically on the market...On the cul-desac with the pool and large yard (and extremely clean); the one on the lake?

Last edited by GregTraub; 03-05-2009 at 08:12 PM..

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,037 times
We looked at a couple of homes in St. Johns. Beautiful homes, private sub and clean neighborhood. We had three issues. First, the HOA is very high. We were told it was used to maintain the front gate area. Second, alligator population in Lake Jessup. Lake Jessup has the highest concentration of gators of any FL lakes. Reason is, anytime gators are recovered in the area, they are placed in Lake Jessup. Third, houses are still overpriced. We noticed that in Winter Springs. People are still asking way too much despite the housing bubble bursting. We do like that area of Winter Springs and are still actively looking to purchase a home when the price is appropriate. Good Luck

Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 AM

yes, I've heard about the alligators in Lake Jesup. Definitely not a place I'd be doing my water sports. But I suppose it wouldn't matter to me whether there were just a few alligators in a lake or ton of alligators, as even just one alligator would make me not go in, not to mention the amoebas/bacteria in warm climate lakes.

So I wasn't the only one wondering about the prices of Winter Springs. I was expecting homes in Winter Springs to cost less than Lake Mary/Longwood, but it seems they are not. They seemed to be priced the same or slightly higher, considering the age of some of the homes. Maybe the prices of Lake Mary homes has just come down more.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,037 times
I have noticed the homes in Winter Springs are older and overpriced. We like Winter Springs a lot, especially around the town center and tuskawilla area. If the price is right and appropriate, we will buy in WS. However, we are now considering Lake Mary area.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Lake Mary is my first choice as it is a very nice small city with lots of businesses. All the stores and amenities are very close by. I would love to live close to Lake Mary HS but I think the railroad would bother me. Heathrow and Timacuan are both nice as well. We're considering Winter Springs because I like the group of schools in this area a little better. I've heard Tuskawilla is very nice and it seems to be very convenient to the Oviedo Marketplace and stuff on Red Bug Lake Rd. But you're right, prices do seem high, although I haven't seen as much for sale in Winter Springs as Lake Mary. Maybe that's why they haven't dropped as much. They'll have to drop eventually because I've seen the same houses on the market for a long time it seems. Good luck on your search also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando