Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:37 AM

8 posts, read 40,640 times

Advertisements

I really need some good solid advice. We currently live in Atlanta and my husband is up for a promotion within his company that would take us to the Orlando area - specifically his office would be within a minute of the Florida Mall, which I believe is south of Orlando a bit. We have elementary school age children and are looking for a good middle class neighborhood that would be a decent commute for my husband. Our range for housing is a little lower than some of the other posters - generally looking for 200-250. We would love being close to the coast, like Port St. John, but not sure about that commute. Some have said it would be a nightmare, while others have said it would be 45 minutes to an hour. We want what everyone else does....good schools, low crime, low traffic, and decent stores nearby.

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 04:26 PM

44 posts, read 275,755 times
Default St. Cloud is a good choice

I moved from Miami 8 yrs. ago and raised 2 kids here. Boy scout organization is very active, other good activities for kids. This beats Miami in all ways.
I have house for sale under $225K/1350 sq. ft. 1/4 acre, which is 5 min. from turnpike north, and about 15-20 min. from Florida Mall. Established neighborhood, not in a flood plain, convenient to town but 3 miles outside of St. Cloud in city limits. Convenient to coast, and Orlando.
Yes, I'm trying to sell the house, but at the same time, believe this is still a decent community to live in. I belong in mountains and thru many years of visiting and w/input of those there it helped me decide on where to go.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:15 AM

41 posts, read 215,860 times
Exclamation maybe

st.cloud has grown toooo much,i am from there you cant move there are so many people,but if city life is for you you will do fine,me i left for the mountain being a florida boy,that says alot.never saw a mountian before last year.no way i would go back.good luck

Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM

44 posts, read 275,755 times
Default St. Cloud

bsmiles.......where did you go in mts?
yes, St. Cloud has grown. People I know that have lived here for 30+yrs. see a dramatic change. But, having lived here 8 yrs. coming from Miami, I can say it is no where near the city life such as Miami. or Atlanta. Like alot of places, I don't think there was a lot of planning for the growth esp. related to traffic, but the new turnpike entrance is a start.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:47 PM

95 posts, read 434,713 times
I live just North of Orlando (in Longwood) and south Orlando traffic is terrible. Some areas are high crime. Schools are the worst. In order to have a good family atmosphere, your husband should count on a commute. Housing and taxes are sky-high. Put your kids in private school if you can. Buy as much auto insurance as you can because there are a LOT of uninsured (bad) drivers here. Hate to sound so negative as a native Floridian but you said you wanted advice. All the best!

Old 04-09-2007, 10:57 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,840,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracing View Post
I really need some good solid advice. We currently live in Atlanta and my husband is up for a promotion within his company that would take us to the Orlando area - specifically his office would be within a minute of the Florida Mall, which I believe is south of Orlando a bit. We have elementary school age children and are looking for a good middle class neighborhood that would be a decent commute for my husband. Our range for housing is a little lower than some of the other posters - generally looking for 200-250. We would love being close to the coast, like Port St. John, but not sure about that commute. Some have said it would be a nightmare, while others have said it would be 45 minutes to an hour. We want what everyone else does....good schools, low crime, low traffic, and decent stores nearby.

Thanks!!!
The area where your hubby would work in Orlando is a horrible area. The area is most likely off of Sand Lake Road or OBT, which can be sumarized as "ghettoville" once you hit the OBT/Sand Lake intersection and area heading east. It is very run down and very depressing, but hey, if you work somewhere that is bad, but live somewhere that is nice, it's all good.

As for working there and living in the coast... your daily commute will be a living hell. You will spend at least 2 - 3 hours EACH WAY every day in heavy traffic (bumper to bumper all ther way). The area where your hubby is going to work is already a heavy traffic area 24/7, because of tourists and criminal types who area heavily concentrated in that area. Add a drive to the coast and your life will suck and your hubby will grow old NOT seeing his kids or enjoying his house.

Speaking of houses, the price range you are in is NOT comparable for Orlando. There is NO WAY you can get a house that is not in Mexico or not in the ghetto for $225. No way. Impossible. Not even a condo in a decent area. Your only option might be to live away from Orlando (like everyone else) and commute 1h+ each way. I-4 will become your most hated enemy. Most people who work in orlando live far from Orlando because Orlando sucks and people cannot afoord to live there, unless it's in the ghetto, so they move to the 'burbs. I think Atlanta is the same way, isn't it?

Now, WHY would you want to live on the coast with the hurricane and insurance problems? Have you seen some of the threads about it?

Finally, good schools, low crime, low traffic, and decent stores nearby... that combo you wnat doesn't exist unless you have a $1 million Dollars to spend on housing. Since you do not, you need to be realistic here. First off, Orlando crime is VERY similar to Atlanta's... it is very high and increasingly violent. Secondly, heavy traffic and urban sprawl are characteristics of Orlando. There is absolutely no way you can escape that. Finally, you can have decent stores nearby... Orlando is good for shopping... IF you have any money left after paying your expensive mortgage, insurance for you cars (which will probably double from GA to FL - you need to get a quote), insurance for your house (which in case you have not heard is VERY high), and gas for your 2 -3h commute each way daily if you manage to get a shack at the beach for $225k.

Oh, there are a LOT of illegal aliens with no insurance and no license and if they hit you, they will ALWAYS run. I know you have problems like that in Atlanta too, so that might help you feel "right at home" in Central Florida.

I think you have a lot to think about. Orlando is very expensive and his salary increase might not cut it down here.

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 04-09-2007 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM

That entire last post is BS in case other newbies are reading this.
Traffic from Merritt Island to South Orlando (Airport) is 45 minutes to 50 minutes, TOPS.
I commuted for 2 weeks while training and not one bad drive in.
OBT is NO WHERE near the mall, that mall is nice and has good shopping.
Car insurance is higher but not through the roof.
Home insurance is high if you live on the coast, gets cheaper the furhter inland you are of course (also depends on age/location of home).

Be careful what you are being told by others on the list, when they mention only bad things , it's a red flag.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,226,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracing View Post
That entire last post is BS in case other newbies are reading this.
Traffic from Merritt Island to South Orlando (Airport) is 45 minutes to 50 minutes, TOPS.
I commuted for 2 weeks while training and not one bad drive in.
OBT is NO WHERE near the mall, that mall is nice and has good shopping.
Car insurance is higher but not through the roof.
Home insurance is high if you live on the coast, gets cheaper the furhter inland you are of course (also depends on age/location of home).

Be careful what you are being told by others on the list, when they mention only bad things , it's a red flag.
I agree with everything you said except one clarification......the Florida Mall is located at the intersection of Sand Lake Road and Orange Blossom Trail. However, it is NOT the part of OBT that is known for strip clubs, etc. The mall is much further south on OBT in a business district not far from OIA.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM

You are right, the mall is not in the bad area of town. I just returned today and noticed 2 weeks of traffic seemed easy compared to recent commutes at home. My wife posted looking for good info last week also.

The area was not bad. After visiting relatives in Pt St Lucie and talking to realators, insurance agents etc., what was posted was not the case. My wife and I appreciate your posts pianogal, very helpful!!!!!
Looks like a great place to live/commute. Schools are A+ in the Port St. John area and have 2 schedules to choose from. Cant beat the weather!!!!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 04:22 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,226,793 times
Good Luck! I hope you have much success with your move....and by the way...you wife may be interested.....the Florida Mall is my favorite place to shop in Central Florida....they have a Pottery Barn, Harry and David's and Polka-Dotz - (they carry the full Vera Bradley line), plus all the usual mall stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando