Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:29 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,890,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
The deep south??? I agree that it gets stereotyped alot, but I wouldnt put it over Florida in mixed relationships. All those cities are pretty good with mixed race dating, but I think they're are just as good as Florida. I wouldnt put them OVER florida, I dont think they're any better.
You'll notice that almost every southern state has roughly the same percentage of African Americans, Usually around 15-30-40%

Florida is at 16% with a population of 18,251,243
Georgia is at 30% with a population of 9,544,750
North Carolina is at 22% with a population of 9,061,032
Tennessee is at 16% with a population of 6,156,719
Alabama is at 27% with a population of 4,627,851
South Carolina is at 29% with a population of 4,407,709
Louisiana is at 32% with a population of 4,293,204
Mississippi is at 38% with a population of 2,918,785

As you can see by going with the above listed numbers thanks to the US Census Quick Facts.. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Florida has 2,920,198 African-American residents out of 18,251,243.
Georgia has 2,863,425 African-American residents out of 9,544,750.
North Carolina has 1,993,427 African-American residents out of 9,061,032.
Tennessee has 985,075 African-American residents out of 6,156,719.
Alabama has 1,249,519 African-American residents out of 4,627,851.
South Carolina has 1,278,235 African-American residents out of 4,407,709.
Louisiana has 1,373,825 African-American residents out of 4,293,204.
Mississippi has 1,109,138 African-American residents out of 2,918,785.

As you can see... There is only a difference of 1,935,123 African-American residents between Florida (who has the most of the Southern States, Texas not included) and Tennessee (who has the least of the Southern States, Texas not included) and Florida has triple the total population that Tennessee has and has almost double the total population of Georgia who has the 2nd highest population in the South East.

It's kinda funny the difference between people from Tennessee and Mississippi where I've been. Obviously no one has forgotten history but I've noticed people up here don't seem to be as phased by it. You see more confederate flags and cowboy hats in Florida then you do in Tennessee and Mississippi atleast that's my opinion based on my experiences. My wife, Who is black and from Louisiana agrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
You'll notice that almost every southern state has roughly the same percentage of African Americans, Usually around 15-30-40%

Florida is at 16% with a population of 18,251,243
Georgia is at 30% with a population of 9,544,750
North Carolina is at 22% with a population of 9,061,032
Tennessee is at 16% with a population of 6,156,719
Alabama is at 27% with a population of 4,627,851
South Carolina is at 29% with a population of 4,407,709
Louisiana is at 32% with a population of 4,293,204
Mississippi is at 38% with a population of 2,918,785

As you can see by going with the above listed numbers thanks to the US Census Quick Facts.. USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Florida has 2,920,198 African-American residents out of 18,251,243.
Georgia has 2,863,425 African-American residents out of 9,544,750.
North Carolina has 1,993,427 African-American residents out of 9,061,032.
Tennessee has 985,075 African-American residents out of 6,156,719.
Alabama has 1,249,519 African-American residents out of 4,627,851.
South Carolina has 1,278,235 African-American residents out of 4,407,709.
Louisiana has 1,373,825 African-American residents out of 4,293,204.
Mississippi has 1,109,138 African-American residents out of 2,918,785.

As you can see... There is only a difference of 1,935,123 African-American residents between Florida (who has the most of the Southern States, Texas not included) and Tennessee (who has the least of the Southern States, Texas not included) and Florida has triple the total population that Tennessee has and has almost double the total population of Georgia who has the 2nd highest population in the South East.

It's kinda funny the difference between people from Tennessee and Mississippi where I've been. Obviously no one has forgotten history but I've noticed people up here don't seem to be as phased by it. You see more confederate flags and cowboy hats in Florida then you do in Tennessee and Mississippi atleast that's my opinion based on my experiences. My wife, Who is black and from Louisiana agrees.
Intresting. Florida does have the highest. But ALOT of that black population in Florida is carribean(im Haitian myself), whereas the other states are just american black. From MY personal experience I tend to see ALOT more confederate flags and cowboy hats in the other states, such as the piedmont states and NC(where I live now) then I did in Florida. As a matter of fact living in South Florida when I was a kid, I really didnt know much about the confederate war or the north or the south. Most people I knew NEVER had any southern accents or anything. As a matter of fact the 1st time I actually NOTICED that there was something called a southern accent, was when I moved to Texas when I was 7. And I didnt REALLY start living in the south til I moved here to NC. But all in all living in south florida as a little kid I had no awareness of Southern culture, and country music and confederate flags. Now that I think about it I can even remeber MOST of my white neighbors talking sort of northern accents. Even native Floriddians like Lee Corso(The guy that's on college football live ESPN) talks with some sort of "northern" sounding type accent. I knew so many Floridians with no accent at all. It dosent really start getting REAL southern till you go up in northern Flroida. But all in all I tend to experience waaaaay more confederate flags and southern culture in the other sothern states such as TN, LA, NC, GA, ect then I EVER had in FLA and TX. You also have to remember alot of south Florida cities were discovered and settled by northerners, people like Henry Flagler who built the Florida eastcoast railroad were from the north. As a matter of fact Julia Tutle who was from Ohio found Miami. And remember florida was Spanish territory for a while, then it became US teritorry and not an official US state, then when it became a stae in 1849(I think or 1850) MOST of the stae was still filled with Native Americans and some Spaniards. Even when it became a confederate state, MOST of the state wasnt even used for the Civil War, the panhandle was the only significantly "southern" part of Florida. If anything Florida is a somewhat half southern state. People often forget that. How could Florida be AS southern as the others when half of it's cities, and it's most popular city(miami) were discovered and settled by northerners? Oh yeah remember, Mississippi has the confederate flag on it lol. Just my 10cents.

Last edited by polo89; 04-02-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah remember, Mississippi has the confederate flag on it lol. Just my 10cents.
Those stats were just based on those that reported as African-American, not Carribean or hispanic.

I lived in Tampa, Orlando, and Ft. Myers and have run into WAY more rednecks then I have living in Nashville. I guess it's all up to peoples experiences.

As for the Mississippi thing, Mississippi is almost 40 percent black and a few years back when they voted on changing their state flag, It was a unanamous vote to keep it. What's that tell you about race relations in Mississippi ?

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Those stats were just based on those that reported as African-American, not Carribean or hispanic.

I lived in Tampa, Orlando, and Ft. Myers and have run into WAY more rednecks then I have living in Nashville. I guess it's all up to peoples experiences.

As for the Mississippi thing, Mississippi is almost 40 percent black and a few years back when they voted on changing their state flag, It was a unanamous vote to keep it. What's that tell you about race relations in Mississippi ?
I guess it is about personal experience. Because for me it's the opposite, I see more rednecks daily in NC and have seen more rednecks in my afformentioned states like TN, MISS, ect ALOT more then anywhere in TX and FL. But two different people 2 diefferent experiences. Also, did you run into more redneck types in South Florida then you do in Nashville? Just wondering?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:27 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Quote:

You have been VERY lucky Ryan. I am from TN, born and raised and I can tell you that Nashville is the most racist city I have been to (beating out Birmingham). Seriously, most everyone I know in Nashville voted AGAINST Obama because he is black all the while believing his ideas were better. What part of Nashville do you live in? East Nashville? I am being honest and not being abrasive at all. I believe your experiences have been good...but please be honest and tell me what would happen if you took an interracial couple and put them in Green Hills, Belle Meade, Brentwood, Franklin, West End, The Gulch, etc. There are a couple of areas around Belmont and East Nashville that I would think would be open minded, but most Tennesseans, God Love em, are not very open minded at all. Although it failed, barely, Nashville just voted on making a state constitution change that English is the official language of Davidson County Government. My parents are good people, if not poisoned by religion, and they have told me many times they would rather see me come home with a man than a black lady. Sad, very sad, but that is the mindset of most of Middle Tennessee. I have a friend in Memphis where I went to college, and he calls Memphis "Memphrica". Tennessee is racist. A lot of good people there that just haven't been educated and don't have a desire to change. I am happy you haven't experienced this, but I would almost call it a miracle that you haven't. Orlando is MUCH more diverse than Nashville could ever want to be.

The only good thing you have on your side there is the Tennessean which is very progressive and liberal.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
You have been VERY lucky Ryan. I am from TN, born and raised and I can tell you that Nashville is the most racist city I have been to (beating out Birmingham). Seriously, most everyone I know in Nashville voted AGAINST Obama because he is black all the while believing his ideas were better. What part of Nashville do you live in? East Nashville? I am being honest and not being abrasive at all. I believe your experiences have been good...but please be honest and tell me what would happen if you took an interracial couple and put them in Green Hills, Belle Meade, Brentwood, Franklin, West End, The Gulch, etc. There are a couple of areas around Belmont and East Nashville that I would think would be open minded, but most Tennesseans, God Love em, are not very open minded at all. Although it failed, barely, Nashville just voted on making a state constitution change that English is the official language of Davidson County Government. My parents are good people, if not poisoned by religion, and they have told me many times they would rather see me come home with a man than a black lady. Sad, very sad, but that is the mindset of most of Middle Tennessee. I have a friend in Memphis where I went to college, and he calls Memphis "Memphrica". Tennessee is racist. A lot of good people there that just haven't been educated and don't have a desire to change. I am happy you haven't experienced this, but I would almost call it a miracle that you haven't. Orlando is MUCH more diverse than Nashville could ever want to be.

The only good thing you have on your side there is the Tennessean which is very progressive and liberal.
WOW. I've heard the same thing. All these post on here about Orlando and Florida all of a sudden dont seem that bad compared to what you have experienced up there. I will admit they're are alot of racist places in Florida aroud the panhandle where they arent that kind towards minorities, BUT Florida for the most part in MY opinion isnt ANY worse then say MISS, AL, LA, GA, TENN, OR NC, and in my opinion is probably one the LEAST most racist southern states. I dont understand how some of these people can just say Florida is one of the least progressive most racist backwards states in the south when it's one of the very FEW southern states(beside NC and VA) that was a blue state in the election. Im not denying anybodies personal experience, because what happened to them there in Florida with the interracial dating troubles probably DID happen, but my point is that it CAN, and WILL happen in ANY other southern state, and not just Florida, HECK it would happen in ANY northern state also. I bet if a black guy was taken home to an traditional all Italian family in NY metro, they would probanly disapprove also. I have Italian New Yorker friends who have told me this. But I with you 100%. I had a math techer from east Tennessee, that told me how his friend was a Klan member and his friend used to brag about it.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceandprosperity View Post
Orlando is still rather backwards if you ask me.. Lived here for years. It's getting better though... but a lot of people in Orlando are racist undercover.. some rednecks (there are a lot of them) can even be outright racist. Nothing like up north.. And remember, Florida was the last state in the USA to racially integrate the schools!!..so the parents of the younger crowd could have gone to segregated schools with racist mentalities. I don't like Orlando... people are divided.. no united community.. stick to your own kind type of deal. It sucks unless you are hanging out with your bubble of friends..
Florida was the last to desegragate. I dont think that has anything to do with Florida now, maybe it does? And up north? I think alot of people up north are closet racist themselves. As a black guy I dont think I would be accepted into an all Italian NYC family if I dated they're daughter. Maybe im wrong. Just look at all the ethnic neughborhoods up there that are EXTREMELY segragated. So there is this stick to your own type mentality up there to. I experienced it 1st hand, I was shocked by all the segregated neighborhoods. But that's just me. And you have to remember EVERY southern state had segragated schools, so EVERY southern state has the same if not MORE racist mentality then Florida does.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Also, did you run into more redneck types in South Florida then you do in Nashville? Just wondering?
Depends on the part of South Florida.

Near Lake Okeechobee absolutley, In Glades, Hendry, Highlands, most of Lee and the North East corner of Collier I would say a helluva lot more. I saw alot more in Central Florida though, Eastern Hillsborough, Polk, Osceola, and parts of Seminole I can honestly say that yes, There are TONS more.

In Pinellas, Orange, Most of Hillsborough, and Dade I'd say probably not. Honestly though... In Nashville you don't see cowboy hats and wranglers and all that b.s. unless youre outside the music studios or down around the touristy parts where most of the people that have that stuff on are from out of town.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post

I thought it was funny that you said you had a friend that called Memphis "Memphrica", I chuckled a bit because I had an ex-girlfriend ( who was black ) that always called Memphis the same thing.

When I moved to Nashville I lived in Madison. When I met my wife ( who is black ) we lived in Mt. Juliet, and now we live in Hendersonville. Never dealt with any racism the 10 years I've lived here.

Barrack Obama actually carried Davidson County 158,423 to 102,915 and for the record, Since 1963 when the City and County former a Metro Government there has never had a Republican Mayor and there have only been a handful of Republican Governors since that time.

We actually go to the Green Hills and Cool Springs Malls and I co-owned a business based out of Brentwood.

It's sad to hear that you had a bad experience with the area. I know when I moved to Orlando back in 2003 to give Florida " another chance " I ended up working a telemarketing job and sat next to a black lady that was demeaning white people out loud and proud about how she would never even dream of having a white husband or boyfriend. That was just one of many examples. You'll find this kind of thing in any city I guess which is a shame.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Florida for the most part in MY opinion isnt ANY worse then say MISS, AL, LA, GA, TENN, OR NC, and in my opinion is probably one the LEAST most racist southern states. I dont understand how some of these people can just say Florida is one of the least progressive most racist backwards states in the south when it's one of the very FEW southern states(beside NC and VA) that was a blue state in the election.
For the record, According to the Southern Poverty Law Center who monitors hate groups in the U.S., Florida has more hate groups then any Southern state.

SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map

Also, For the record, Tennessee and North Carolina are the only two states in the South with a Democrat as Governor. Also, NONE of the southern states has a strong history of voting Blue in the presidential election so don't assume that race has a part in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando