Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 7,193 times

Advertisements

my name is nannette, wanted to know if anyone out there know where i can get toys for my kids. I have no money this year. This year has been hard on us. I am sick and my husband truck broke down. So if you know a program that can help me. I will thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:49 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
Nanette - I am on it. My parents live in Sebring, and are out at the moment (just tried to call), but I will speak withthem tonight and see what I can do.

Right off the bat - try your Church, or one local if you do not have a Church home. Also, check the yellow pages for the Salvation Army and the local YMCA.

In KY, the Salvation Army does an Angel tree each year for people in trouble - and our small town does Christmas baskets each year with food and toys. Your City Hall should be a phone call you make tomorrow, too.

As soon as I can get more info - I will post.

God Bless you - and it will be okay. Trust in The Lord, He will get you through this.

Been there, done that, and almost there again, KimmieyKY

Old 12-17-2006, 04:37 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Nannette, do you know if you have a local chapter of the Christian Sharing Center. We have one down the street from our church. Several of our Sunday School classes have collected new toys for families in need to be distributed through the sharing center. We have also collected food items to provide Christmas dinner.

They have other kinds of programs to help people in financial straits. You didn't say what part of Florida you are in..but if you are in the Orlando area, I can get that information to you.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NANNETTE30 View Post
my name is nannette, wanted to know if anyone out there know where i can get toys for my kids. I have no money this year. This year has been hard on us. I am sick and my husband truck broke down. So if you know a program that can help me. I will thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Try this website -- click on Request Toys in the menu. I honestly don't know how the program works, but you will be in my prayers tonight. And please know you're not alone... And like some others have already advised, maybe talk to someone in a church near you -- office staff or pastor. They could probably lead you in the right direction for assistance.

http://www.toysfortots.org/default.asp

Old 12-18-2006, 11:44 PM

Location: Orlando, FL - used to be nice, a dump now. Anyone speak English down here???
340 posts, read 433,020 times
Quote:
Try First Baptist Chruch of Orlando. They are off of John Young Parkway and LB McLeod in Orlando.

Another option is Catholic Charities.... they always help too.

If you had written this post earlier, I'd have told you to go to the Salvation Army. See they have this thing they do every year... they get items your kids need and create these "Christmas Tree ornaments". Then people who go to Cracker Barrel pick those up and get the stuff for your children and then drop the items at the Salvation Army!! How cool is that?? We did this this year for one kid. Now the only bad thing is that the dealine has passed for this year, but they sometimes have stuff left over.

Merry Christmas (despite all the problems).

Chris

Old 12-19-2006, 12:37 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,701 times
Quote:
Sorry nannette,
Try Catholic Charities, the United way.
Catholic Charities will also help with referals...
GOD bless and keep the faith
Prayers and Best Regards,
DLS

Old 12-20-2006, 08:29 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Nanette, the Christian Sharing Center is giving away gifts for children tomorrow - Thursday, Dec. 21st. You can call them at Call 407-260-9155 ext 18, 14 or 13 for more information. The Sharing Center is located at:
600 N. Hwy. 17-92, (approx. 1/2 mile north of Hwy. 434)

Sunday School classes from our church helped collect the toys they are giving away.

Following is the motto of the sharing center:
"Sharing the reality of God's love with those in need by providing material assistance and promoting Christian generosity." We at The Sharing Center believe in the dignity of all God's children and strive to treat all who come to us with respect and kindness. By helping with their physical needs, we enable people struggling with personal financial disasters to feel the comfort and peace of God's hand in their time of distress."

May God bless you and your family this Christmas. Please know there are caring people out here thinking of you and praying for you.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
All of the places that were mentioned, I would recommend. Also, try Baby DJ with XL 106.7.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:22 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
Also, try putting your post up on Craigslist.com

We were able to help a family one year with my child's toys and some other things. Keep your chin up, hold your head up high, things will turn around for you!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin Momma View Post
My name is Michelle and i have 3 beautiful children ages 9,10,14 i have had a supper ruff year see i worked at a Nursing Home and because of low Census they had to not only cut hours but they also laid other people off. which couldnt have come at a worse time because i have very sweet smart kids that i have always taught if u work hard for things u can achieve anything but here is there mother that cant afford to even buy her very deserving children christmasso i called around but of coarse everything had already stoped accepting apps for help w/ Christmas so i am really stuck between a rock and a hard place there father is in prison so it is just me if anyone knows of anyone that will help a family in need i will be eternally greatful I just need a Miracle LOL thank U and may God continue to Bless the World Sincerly, Michelle
Even if you can't get on lists for free gifts for your kids, try to get the kids something. Go to Salvation Army , Goodwill, yard sales, etc. and do your Christmas shopping there for the kids. A few dollars will go further that way. Many times we have given things to people when we have had a garage sale. I am sure others do to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando