Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,596 times

Advertisements

move somewhere without a job???? I think that it would be a big big mistake!! Truck Driving is not a good job down south. Everyone and there mother have a cdl. It's not called the redneck degree for nothing. You have to be in Sales, health or hospitality to have options. I lived in Philly for a bit and can tell you that up there you can actually make a somewhat living truck driving. My post is not negative and Orlando is not for you man. Please do us a favor and stay up north where you can at least work. "Seain" seems like the most rational person on this board. He's trying to give the guy overnight wisdom but he seems not to listen. Don't be so proud New Yorker! I always tell my kids think saftey first and then think of resposibility to your employer and your government. I have some friends like yourself always dreaming and wishing.. I make it a point to give them a dose of reality and I won't stop until I convince them. Your wife has good reason to be scared, It's called reality. peace out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:29 PM

18 posts, read 66,191 times
Hi everyone, Finally arrived in Orlando. Lets see where this takes us! I feel confident that we both will find good jobs. I will keep everyone up to date. I have an interview tommorrow and my wife has one on friday. I hope that the people who say that we will make it are correct! hehe.
!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossball View Post
Hi everyone, Finally arrived in Orlando. Lets see where this takes us! I feel confident that we both will find good jobs. I will keep everyone up to date. I have an interview tommorrow and my wife has one on friday. I hope that the people who say that we will make it are correct! hehe.
!
GOOD LUCK! Keep us informed! Where did you end up staying?

Old 04-15-2009, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,377 times
Looking to relocate my family to Orlando area and looking for a job with a fire department. I have my firefighter one and want to proceed with the balance of the education required to become a full firetime firefighter. I am also working in construction. Can someone tell me if there are jobs available in either of these areas in FL. My wife has her LPN and is also looking for work. Your quick response will be appreciated. little duke2

Old 04-15-2009, 05:19 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times
mossball, good luck! Hope you prove everyone wrong!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:48 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little duke 2 View Post
Looking to relocate my family to Orlando area and looking for a job with a fire department. I have my firefighter one and want to proceed with the balance of the education required to become a full firetime firefighter. I am also working in construction. Can someone tell me if there are jobs available in either of these areas in FL. My wife has her LPN and is also looking for work. Your quick response will be appreciated. little duke2
As far as firefighter jobs, there is a long waiting list. I have a friend who became a firefighter and it took him over a year to secure a job. I heard Lake County has more openings. Construction at this time is slow due to the economy and the real estate issues here in FL. You may do better starting you own small business. As for you wife, there shouldn't be a problem being she is in the medical field.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Lake County has been recruiting firefighters, although I didn't see any openings on the web site the last time I looked. You could check some of the cities within Lake County as well, many have their own FD's.

There is NO construction work here. If and when they ever begin working on the new PAC and arena there might be some, but I wouldn't come here counting on that.

Your wife should be able to find an LPN job, although they don't pay all that well--a BSRN is where the real money is.

What is your incentive for coming here? The cost of living tends to be high in comparison to incomes. If you like the area because you've vacationed here, please rethink. Come down again on vacation and don't go to the theme parks, don't stay in the tourist areas. Get to know the area and really think about why you want to come here.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:11 AM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default actually....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossball View Post
annerk, I know you want to give sound advice but I know for a fact you are 100% wrong about truck driver salaries in Orlando. Go to any job board and show me that there isn't 13-16 starting wage for truck driving. My friend works for Fedex frieght in Orlando and makes 19.50 an hour top rate is 21.50. No where in the country do truck drivers make 9.00 an hour. make small package stuff but what I drive you don't make that kind of money. Please just positive responses from now on. Curious annerk.. what is your occupation?
Get on the actual trucker forums, full of truckers that haul all over, not just deliver fuel to stations, and they will all tell you, trucking in general is slow right now, my husband is a otr flabedder, and has been doing trucking for years, here in TN, the most he has been offered is 12-13, and that was as a trash truck driver for waste mang.
and before you reply with "it depends on your record" i can assue you it doesnt, my hubby has perfect record, has made top earner, never a violation and runs his arse off, no, he wont take less paying job cuz he says what trucker wants to go from 800-1000 week take home to 9-13 hr??
Your right, alot of job forums claim they have hig payen trucken jobs, but you will soon see, most are recruiters that get paid to lie, and you wont make what they say.
BUT.....in todays times, if your out of work, you will take that pay, or starve.
so yes, there is plenty of driving jobs out there, and they will say they want couple years experiance, perfect record, etc, and they will then slam you with"we pay 10 bucks hr"....and you will laugh, they want your experiance, but dont want to pay for it.
as far as Fed ex goes, yes they pay alot, so does UPS, we have friends at both, BUT.....you must not watch the news cuz fedex has had major layoffs for past few months....and UPS, if you can find a place where they are hiring, is part time, or seasonal.

and ask any trucker who has worked in and out of florida, loads going in pay well but loads coming out, if any, dont pay squat for a trucker to make it worth while. and what one poster said it right, Tampa is better bet if your looking for trucking work, usually does well for florida, but note, if your wanting local, home each night, expect the AVERAGE of any state of 10 bucks hr.
No one is tryen to tick you off, but you asked, and we answere, so you cant get mad at everyone cuz you have it in your head, we are just tryen to forwarn you to help you out, but ........I agree with alot here, your mind is made up, your moving with no job, we all wish you best of luck.
we to thought about florida, but as with any state right now, job market isnt right yet, especially for truckers, trucking industry is the tell-all for the economy, when truckers aint maken money, its cuz economy is bad, when trucking picks back up...everyone can breath easy...economy is heading back to good!!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM

253 posts, read 805,382 times
Default does it have to be orlando...or???

Quote:
hey, mu hubby is retired military, and we are looking for gov jobs, thought this might help you out some.
have you checked out usajobs or avuecentral??? avuecentral handles forestry jobs, right now, there is alot of firefighter jobs listed all over the USA, from begginer to advanced. check it out, worth the little extra work involved to apply. if you have any questions on the how and why of those sites, feel free to DM us, we can help.
again, not sure if your sights are set on city firefighter or if youd considor forestry, but thought we would offer it up since jobs are hard to get now days, you might be able to get into forestry faster and earn more experiance till a city job opens up. best of luck to you an your family!!!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,596 times
Sweetlady71,
Right on!! Truck drving down south is not a good career!!! It's on par with being a cook in a restaurant or a landscaper. It's the pits! This guy has an opinion tha drving a truck is a great career! In florida they start you out at 8 dollars for tractor tailer and 7.50 or so for those small commerical trucks. The top pay in florida for a truck drvier is about 13.00 no benefits (fact) Please listen to everyone here and don't move to Florida because ya going to fall on your butt and then your wife may run away from you. (just a thought) Truck drving is one of the worse jobs in the nation. GO to government websites for jobs and also the police is a good occupation. Try nurse or learn a trade.(good options for ya bud) bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando