Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I honestly don't think if he does decide to post he will be truthful, I am not rooting against him but Forbes magazine listed Orlando as the 7th worst place to be right now in the US in regards to the economy.

And no one likes to hear " I told you so".

But people are going to question common sense, and you don't move anywhere without a job unless you have signifigant savings that you don't mind using for living expenses.

He also may have a hard time because to many employers to quit a job and to pick up and move somewhere during an economic downturn will be viewed as poor judgement.

They could very well think well he quit his job in NY to move here with no job. What guarantee do I have that if I hire him he will stick around?

What if he decides after I hire him he decides he doesn't like it and leaves me in the lurch.

He has a lot working against him.

Employers are going to view someone who quits a job in the worst economic downturn since the GD as strange.

And considering there are so many out of work who already live in the Orlando area there may be resentment of some "yankee" coming down here and trying to take a job away from a long term resident who is out of work.

He was the one who came on here and told everyone he had a job in NY(that paid fairly well) was going to quit it and had limited savings to live off of, and his wife was very nervous.

What kind of a reaction did he think he was going to get, if it was 1999, well ok, but not in this economy.

I don't think people are foaming at the mouth, they are questioning his poor judgement.

Like the time my nephew in CA got his car impounded because he CHOSE to drive around with no car insurance and let the registration lapse, and got pulled over.

He was 23, didn't want to tell his father so he called me. I helped him out with the fees, but I did ask "What were you thinking?"

Why put yourself in a bad position, once you get yourself in a financial hole, it is very difficult to dig your way out.

this is in comparison to your nephew doing something illegal? lol

I see what you are saying, but at the same time, once again, I don't question someone for having the courage to make a move, plus, we truly don't know if there are other personal reasons we don't know at the back end. I try not to judge people on here when they have opinions one way or another when we don't have the whole story, but I do find it funny on here, how in one thread they complain about rude people, but then they seem to be rooting against a guy in another.
I think the things you said about an employer are only partially true. My Fiance moved to NY years ago on a whim, before we even met, and employers thought it was very couragous of her, and she got many interviews, when her field (journalism) wasn't very easy to get a job when magazines and newspapers were losing their shirts to online blogs and the such.
also, do you happen to have the rest of that Forbes worst places list? I'm curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Default A story with a happy ending

I was grocery shopping yesterday and met up with this man in the parking lot collecting carts. He was waiting for my cart and said take your time, I just moved here from the Poconos, PA. Funny, that's where I'm from. He said when he left it was 35 degrees and freezing so I'm enjoying the nice weather out here. He said I left everything in PA and moved here without a job or anything. He lost his job of 18 years. He said he had about $40K in savings, his car and that was it. When he got here 3 weeks ago, he started by hitting the pavement looking for a job. He said he filled out about 60 applications and he was being optomisitic by saying he knew he would find a job. Sure enough, he found a job a week later. He took his savings and purchased a foreclosure that was in perfect shape for $39K and closed on it last week. So, there are happy endings that can happen in FL.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:24 AM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I was grocery shopping yesterday and met up with this man in the parking lot collecting carts. He was waiting for my cart and said take your time, I just moved here from the Poconos, PA. Funny, that's where I'm from. He said when he left it was 35 degrees and freezing so I'm enjoying the nice weather out here. He said I left everything in PA and moved here without a job or anything. He lost his job of 18 years. He said he had about $40K in savings, his car and that was it. When he got here 3 weeks ago, he started by hitting the pavement looking for a job. He said he filled out about 60 applications and he was being optomisitic by saying he knew he would find a job. Sure enough, he found a job a week later. He took his savings and purchased a foreclosure that was in perfect shape for $39K and closed on it last week. So, there are happy endings that can happen in FL.
Both of my sisters-in-law live in the Poconos. We tried to get them to move to FL back in 2004 but they won't do it. I could never survive up there! Of course, when we came down to Orlando last December to visit my family, it was 17 dgrees that morning at our house just north of Atlanta!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
Both of my sisters-in-law live in the Poconos. We tried to get them to move to FL back in 2004 but they won't do it. I could never survive up there! Of course, when we came down to Orlando last December to visit my family, it was 17 degrees that morning at our house just north of Atlanta!
Wow, 17 degrees in Atlanta? Where in the Poconos? I could never live there again, but I don't mind going there for the summer!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:21 AM

429 posts, read 1,104,302 times
great story beckycat..
poconos..all i ever think of in regards to poconos is champagne class shaped hottubs, lol

Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrFlaBound View Post
great story beckycat..
poconos..all i ever think of in regards to poconos is champagne class shaped hottubs, lol
Thanks! Yeah, it definately is a honeymoon resort area. Nice to visit!

Old 04-23-2009, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Listen.. I for one am on this guys side. What bravery! and alot of people do this kind of thing all the time. I meet people every day and the ones to me that seem the most happy are the ones that take risk and keep a positive attitude. I think people on this thread should get a life and stop being so mean spirited. Telling stories of people failing?? and loosing heath care and life insurance.. living out of car?? lol ok,, so I better just lock myself inside my house and go straight to work(no looking at strangers) come home and watch tv, save all my money for retirment and then come on here and blab about positive folk who have moxy.(I bet I describe most of you guys that post on here This guy has balls you all wish you had. That is the real truth.

cheers to you new york guy!

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,785,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little duke 2 View Post
Looking to relocate my family to Orlando area and looking for a job with a fire department. I have my firefighter one and want to proceed with the balance of the education required to become a full firetime firefighter. I am also working in construction. Can someone tell me if there are jobs available in either of these areas in FL. My wife has her LPN and is also looking for work. Your quick response will be appreciated. little duke2
Job Openings (http://www.fsfa.com/JobsOpen01.htm - broken link)

http://www.fireacademy.org/jobs2.ht (broken link)

Florida - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion (http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=375 - broken link)

You will need Florida certification as a FFII and EMT at an absolute minimum. Paramedic will be almost essential in central FL.

If your FFI is not from FL then forget about reciprocity. In reality it is impossible although you may hear differently.

EMT reciprocity will be much easier.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:41 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Job Openings (http://www.fsfa.com/JobsOpen01.htm - broken link)

http://www.fireacademy.org/jobs2.ht (broken link)

Florida - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion (http://forums.firehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=375 - broken link)

You will need Florida certification as a FFII and EMT at an absolute minimum. Paramedic will be almost essential in central FL.

If your FFI is not from FL then forget about reciprocity. In reality it is impossible although you may hear differently.

EMT reciprocity will be much easier.
As long as you have a national certification for EMT-B you can take the FL test, pay your fee, and get your Florida cert.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Beckycat, the man you met got laid off and had huge savings(40K). This guy quit a job and admitted they have enough money for only a couple of months.

Not smart.

There is a woman who has been on the news she is in her 40's and she is a cowgirl.
She got laid off and is going on horesback to TX with two horses in the hopes that she finds work on a ranch( that is her background).

Now she is taking a chance, and I applaud her. But there is big difference between being laid off and taking a chance and quiting a job without another one in the worst economy since the GD.

And to say we only have enough saved to last a couple of months. That is scary.

There are so many people in this country who have lost jobs and are scared to death, sometimes both the husband and the wife.

What do you think they would say about a couple who had jobs that paid well and quit them and moved 1500 miles with only a little savings, and to a state that is losing more jobs than any other in the nation?

I am guessing they would question someone's judgement who did that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando