Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM

8 posts, read 12,590 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24 year old guy and I'm about a year away from finally getting my Bachelors in Mass Communication (I took some time off). Ever since I was little, I've loved Orlando and it's one of the places that I'd consider heading after college. I've heard a lot about the high unemployment rate down there and that is a bit of concern, but I feel taking a chance is something I need to do at this point in my life. I hope to get into PR work, web-based communication work, or possibly copy editing (which I know isn't really in high demand). Any advice or suggestions? I have been and will continue to save over the next year to make the move easier. I will have very little, if any debt when I move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 07:33 PM

17 posts, read 68,916 times
OMG!!! Please think before you do this. We moved 7 years ago from Pa (God I want to go back) My husband worked at Disney as a bus driver with a CDL and made 9.00 an hour. He now works as a Chief Maintenance Engineer has over 25yrs experience, he is trained in CPR, Certified in Pool and Spa, HVAC and just about runs the place for 21.00, he should be making at least 35.00 then he goes to his 2 other jobs. and we live paycheck to paycheck with 3 small children. The children are on state insurance and I had to drop my 650.00 monthly insurance to pay 1200.00 rent and that is on the lower end for 5. I really got scared last year he got an infection and was in the hospital for 18 days, we were so close to being homeless, now that is scary, and we can be at anytime, we are a paycheck away. I don't want to be a downer or neg in anyway, but just think, there isn't anything here.....
good luck and take care

Old 06-26-2011, 06:52 AM

71 posts, read 218,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiadawn View Post
OMG!!! Please think before you do this. We moved 7 years ago from Pa (God I want to go back) My husband worked at Disney as a bus driver with a CDL and made 9.00 an hour. He now works as a Chief Maintenance Engineer has over 25yrs experience, he is trained in CPR, Certified in Pool and Spa, HVAC and just about runs the place for 21.00, he should be making at least 35.00 then he goes to his 2 other jobs. and we live paycheck to paycheck with 3 small children. The children are on state insurance and I had to drop my 650.00 monthly insurance to pay 1200.00 rent and that is on the lower end for 5. I really got scared last year he got an infection and was in the hospital for 18 days, we were so close to being homeless, now that is scary, and we can be at anytime, we are a paycheck away. I don't want to be a downer or neg in anyway, but just think, there isn't anything here.....
good luck and take care
We live in PA, in the Lehigh Valley and we also have 3 young children. My husband has been at his place of employment for 20 years and only makes $22 an hour(and he busts his @ss and does 3 people's jobs, always gets compliments but only 2% increase each year and no bonuses of any kind)! Plus a the cost of living up here is a lot more then it is down there! If we can make it on $22 an hour here I'd think you could make it on $21 an hour there. If you need help with budgeting please pm me I'd love to help! BTW we do plan to move down there in 2 years!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:03 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey11474 View Post
We live in PA, in the Lehigh Valley and we also have 3 young children. My husband has been at his place of employment for 20 years and only makes $22 an hour(and he busts his @ss and does 3 people's jobs, always gets compliments but only 2% increase each year and no bonuses of any kind)! Plus a the cost of living up here is a lot more then it is down there! If we can make it on $22 an hour here I'd think you could make it on $21 an hour there. If you need help with budgeting please pm me I'd love to help! BTW we do plan to move down there in 2 years!
I totally agree on this one We moved down here from PA 11 years ago and I don't regret it one bit. Between my husband and myself, we barely make that but we do fine. We have 2 kids as well. We still have a life and still have fun while being able to pay our bills. It's all about budgeting and separating the wants from the needs. Do not live beyond your means.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
LIVE BEYOND ARE NEEDS ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!! We can barley but food on the table and clothes on our back. My children are all special need children we go to speech therapy 4 times a week for Kyles Speech Apraxia. Between the trips to the Dr's, therapies is enough to overwhelm anyone. We have 2 car payments, one will be done in 3 more payments, thank God, the other car was just put back on the road after being without a transmission for 4 months, we were waiting to get one from the junk yards, I would call them just about everyday. I didn't have the luxury of going to a garage and saying put one in please. We all Drove around in our truck with no air conditioner in it when my husband was in the hospital for 18 days. What a sight that was all 5 people in a smoldering truck!! I haven't had a haircut in over a year. We shop at publix's ONLY to buy one get one, then we go to Walmart. I am on 5 medications with no insurance. Just yesterday I cashed my silver in, and 2 years ago pawned my wedding ring and band. So I budget the best way I can. It's called life, I just keep watering down the Ice Tea. And I am damn proud of us as a family we couldn't be closer.

But I am very happy for you both for making it on what you make.
Smiles,
Robyn
Here's the limo I ordered to take us to Gaylord Palms tonight, gotta go, bye....

Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM

71 posts, read 218,295 times
Quote:
LIVE BEYOND ARE NEEDS ARE YOU CRAZY!!!!!! We can barley but food on the table and clothes on our back. My children are all special need children we go to speech therapy 4 times a week for Kyles Speech Apraxia. Between the trips to the Dr's, therapies is enough to overwhelm anyone. We have 2 car payments, one will be done in 3 more payments, thank God, the other car was just put back on the road after being without a transmission for 4 months, we were waiting to get one from the junk yards, I would call them just about everyday. I didn't have the luxury of going to a garage and saying put one in please. We all Drove around in our truck with no air conditioner in it when my husband was in the hospital for 18 days. What a sight that was all 5 people in a smoldering truck!! I haven't had a haircut in over a year. We shop at publix's ONLY to buy one get one, then we go to Walmart. I am on 5 medications with no insurance. Just yesterday I cashed my silver in, and 2 years ago pawned my wedding ring and band. So I budget the best way I can. It's called life, I just keep watering down the Ice Tea. And I am damn proud of us as a family we couldn't be closer.

But I am very happy for you both for making it on what you make.
Smiles,
Robyn
Here's the limo I ordered to take us to Gaylord Palms tonight, gotta go, bye....
I never mentioned anything about living beyond your means??? Not sure where you got that from! (Oh. nevermind I see it now...from another poster, not me!)

I was only offering you help with budgeting, I would be happy to help if you needed it! I help many family members and friends with their budgets and stuff.

I always tell people "I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!"

I'm not going to bother listing all the issues we have, as it would take me forever to type it all up

I hope things get better for you and your family!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I never mentioned anything about living beyond your means??? Not sure where you got that from! (Oh. nevermind I see it now...from another poster, not me!)

I was only offering you help with budgeting, I would be happy to help if you needed it! I help many family members and friends with their budgets and stuff.

I always tell people "I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!"

I'm not going to bother listing all the issues we have, as it would take me forever to type it all up

I hope things get better for you and your family!
I'm just like you, I can live off any budget comfortably. I like helping people save money as well. Whether it be shopping, rents, cars or entertainment.

georgiadawn sorry to hear what you're going through. A couple suggestions I can make to you. If the kids are on state health insurance, they will pay for your travel expenses. As for you and your husband, there is a program called share of cost for medical bills. It's for lower income families who can't afford their medical bills or if they exceed your income. Contact children and families and inquire about it. Even if they just pay for his hospital bill.

Next thing, I'd look for a less expensive place to live, $1200 a month is alot. I know there are five of you, but you can get a decent place in a decent area for around $800. Car payments are a big no no. Own your cars outright, we do. Our cars are both 1999 and get us where we need to go.

As for shopping, Walmart is good but Save A Lot or Aldi is best. I buy almost everything there (except meat) then head over to Walmart for odds and ends that they don't carry. Publix can be very expensive even if it's buy one get free. I get all my meats from Albertson's only when they are on sale. I then stock up. I try not to pay more than $2.99 a pound for meat. I get boneless chicken breast $1.79 and other chicken (whole, bone in breast, legs) less than $.99. I get Sirloin Steak around $2.99 a pound. I don't buy it if it's not on sale. If that's what your getting meats for, that's good. There is also a place in Sanford run by a church called Harvest Time. The food is very cheap, just be sure to check the expiration dates. Other than that the food comes straight from stores around here. You can walk out with 3-4 big boxes of food for $30. They have Toilet paper and stuff like that too. Harvest Time International, Your Hunger & Disaster Relief Organization, 407.328.9900

Deodorants, shampoo, toilet paper, etc, hit the dollar stores. (Family Dollar, Dollar General)

There are alot of good coupon sites out there that save you alot of $$$. Some examples are couponmom.com, restaurant.com and Groupon. The Sunday paper is a good source. even if you don't get it, ask a neighbor for the coupons.

As for entertainment, everyone has to go out once and a while. We get coupons in the mail for $.99 bowling, there are free festivals, car shows, bands, church outings, springs, and beach. Groupon gives you zoo tickets for $10 per person and other things cheap.

When you go places, pack drinks and snacks. Stopping at the gas station to get these things can be very costly.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM

49 posts, read 70,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossball View Post
My wife and I are planning to move soon without jobs. I have done this before but she is scared to death hehe. How can I convince her to not be afraid and just have confidence? we have savings to last us a few months and we both are in somewhat high demand jobs. I know most people are like my wife and feel a little scared so it's hard to find people like me who just do it have confidence and wing it so to speak. Please only people who have positive suggestions. I already know the doom and gloom suggestions hehe ...please any advice to say to my wife to make her feel less afraid
For good luck, bring two Daddy Yankee CDs--one to play and one to hang from your rear view mirror.

Last edited by mamysan; 06-27-2011 at 07:35 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 12:06 PM

Default Thank you for youe suggestion....

I already belong to Groupon, and Restaurants.com. We clean vacation homes once and a while and our shampoo and conditioners are free, along with a lot of food they never opened. I also go to Angel Ministries and buy food. We make too much to get any help from the state, last time we tried we were over by 23.00. We live in Kissimmee and this is norm for rents, we just move here a month ago, we used to live in Vista Del Lago and pay 400 a month for lot rent, situations arose and had to leave, which was fine with me the home was old and ac wasn't ever replaced and one month our 1200 sq ft mobile cost us 497.00 for electric. We have a great pool and I tell people that is our Disney, we cook on the grill with simple hotdogs. The Aldis around her is around 18 miles away, I will check it out.
Robyn

Old 06-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I already belong to Groupon, and Restaurants.com. We clean vacation homes once and a while and our shampoo and conditioners are free, along with a lot of food they never opened. I also go to Angel Ministries and buy food. We make too much to get any help from the state, last time we tried we were over by 23.00. We live in Kissimmee and this is norm for rents, we just move here a month ago, we used to live in Vista Del Lago and pay 400 a month for lot rent, situations arose and had to leave, which was fine with me the home was old and ac wasn't ever replaced and one month our 1200 sq ft mobile cost us 497.00 for electric. We have a great pool and I tell people that is our Disney, we cook on the grill with simple hotdogs. The Aldis around her is around 18 miles away, I will check it out.
Robyn
Sounds like you do some things I've suggested which is great. One thing, I know, is that if you live in Kissimmee, things tend to be higher b/c it's a touristy area. In fact, the taxes and gas are also higher. Do you have to stay in Kissimmee? I think if you move to another part of town, things will be less expensive and you can get your rent down. Just imagine, an additional $300-$400/mo. Every little bit helps.

I know you said you couldn't get assistance for medical, but I'd try again by submitting all of the hospital bills and see what happens. You'd be surprised. You can also talk to the hospital and they will lower the amount owe if you can't afford it.

Here's a Save-A-Lot in Kissimmee:
Save-A-Lot - 1702 N. Main St, Kissimmee, FL, 34744 Store Hours

Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando