Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 03:43 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,969,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
How do some of us seem to be able to get used to the heat and actually enjoy our lives outside year round while others think they will have a heat stroke? How long does it take to acclimate?

I got out year round, am German Irish (I tan but burn) and have always taken care of myself. Those who look like brown lizards do so because they want to. Honestly - it's science that your body acclimates to your environment. Just like I lived in Chicago for 10 years and at 80 degrees there I was dying. Here if it drops below 70 I freeze.

I just don't get it unless most of those that hate the heat haven't lived here very long.

As far as overweight people both Tampa and Miami made the top 25 for fittest cities. I think Orlando was number 31. Go to NC, GA, TN, KY, AL and tell me then how overweight people here look.
Amen to that I am moving back to Tampa In may should have never left there . We are now in Ky and I want to say how back ward everything is here in Ky . Hell people dont go after their dogs here when they get loose they make it every one else s problems . I hate the ice and snow and the end of May is going to look pretty dog gone good to me . Sure I will be staying with my cousin for awhile but it will be worth it just to get out of this tundra hole that we made the mistake of moving too . I just hope that she lets me stay with her and we dont become homeless cause we cant find jobs here and the wages are worse than florida . at least in florida I can find two part time jobs to do and not worrry about freezing walking home at night . It really took me moving to appreciate the sun and the beach and the warm air at night . Oh well we give up alot but as for me I m glad to be heading back to where I have family and friends .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,526,602 times
Well Americans for the most part have turned into big fat slobs. I guess I notice it here more because you see so many who have no shame about what they wear.

Too many looking like 4 pounds of a baloney in a 2 pound bag.

I realize it is a warm climate but when you see people, especially younger women wearing outfits that are not designed for the obese.

It is like do you look in a mirror before you leave the house?

You can be comfortable and tasteful at the same time.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 PM

621 posts, read 2,212,781 times
Lived in both Orlando and Fort Lauderdale. Orlando is really only missed bc of the friends there, South Florida was actually enjoyable (if you don't mind the heat). Living in Raleigh, NC now and it's quite a change. I can't really say that it's much better or not, but the weather is awesome. Having all four seasons does make you have a different perspective on things. Certain laws here are a little strict (no happy hours), but I guess I should've expected that being a part of the bible belt.

If I had to give you advice upon whether to leave or stay, I would say leave. There's nothing like feeling trapped in a place where you don't want to be. But by no means am I degrading Orlando, it's a great city if you don't mind the other 'distractions' there.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:41 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,848,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
the funny part is that everyone there now is from somewhere else (like Florida, California and New York!). They had turned Nashville into what they ran from and it just saddened me. So here I am back in Otown and don't regret it a bit.
Post of the year.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,256,342 times
Lived in Orlando for 12 years and my wife and I upped and moved our family to the Northern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia two years ago.... The heat was getting out of control (it really seemed like summers were getting longer and hotter every year.....).

So what do I miss?? Eh, really just my friends and Disney. I admit it's nice that there was something to do every night if you wanted to do something...

As far as where I am now?? I really do like it. Four seasons are great, especially fall and spring. Winter? Well, what we've run into for the two winters we've been here is annoying. It gets cold enough to snow and then doesn't, and then warms up just enough and rains.... I love snow, but cold rain has GOT to be the worst... I don't know. To me there's something about the crisp autumn air though around Halloween time and such and the changing leaves and all that's really special......

Beyond weather, I'm a history nut so being in Virginia freaking ROCKS compared to Florida IMO... SO much to see and do. We have mountains with hiking and biking trails and are near Skyline Drive and several national forests. We are in a semi-rural area (small town south of Winchester, VA), but are within an hour and a half of D.C. if we want some excitement, etc....

The people are different here. What can I say? Not better, not worse, just...... different..

For my young family I'll say that the schools up here are probably better, which is nice to know. My wife is a teacher and went from teaching in one of the best school systems in Florida to one with one of the lesser reputations in Virginia and they seem the same.... Virginia actually works their teachers a lot harder on continuing education and keeping them on track which is impressive to say the least...

Hey, I don't really know who remembers me or not from a couple of years ago, but I've been pretty anti-Florida.... Would I change anything, or do I wish I wouldn't have moved?? No. But one thing I'll say is that Florida has it's merits for those who appreciate what it has to offer..... Would I move back?? Eh, if circumstances dictated that it was the thing to do I wouldn't reject the idea or have to be dragged back kicking and screaming or anything, but I prefer where I am now for what it's worth...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando