Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2006, 07:22 PM

7 posts, read 68,407 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm a new fourmer on here. My wife and I have been going to central Florida twice a year for the past 11 years and it was only a matter of time that we have decided to relocate down to the Orlando area full time. I understand that when we are in Orlando it is primarily for vacation, so I would appreciate some of the locals that could voice their opinion about some of the areas to purchase a condo (no single family dwellings for us), and where to avoid. We are both in our late 30's, no kids and want to keep it that way.

We have owned rowhouses and brownstones pretty much all through our married life and we are not anticipating to change now. We are looking more for a slow pace, resort lifestyle. We looked into the hotel/condo market and since we would be living here full-time, this would not be an option, but we do love having the hotel ammenties at our fingertips.

Next we are looking at hotel residences. Can someone tell us the pros and cons about these types of development? We were sent information about Reunion, FL and that is the type of lifestyle we are seeking, but the prices are way out of our price range. We looked at Copley Square in Orlando, but again the average brownstone is around 450+. We are trying to stay around the 300k mark if possible. We really love the Tradition Towers being built in Orlando, but I can just imagine the prices there.

My wife works in the accounting field and has a pretty diverse range to where she can obtain employment, I, on the other hand manage hotels. I work for a full-service Marriott here in Portland and I know already I won't be making as much as I will be if I stayed in Portland. Here is what we are looking at:

1. Close to toll highways

2. Must of hotel ammenities like resort style pool/fitness center, etc.

3. Close to major shopping (for the wife)

4. Can be a high rise building or a brownstone/townhouse option

5. Close to the theme Parks

Of course being from Portland, I'm interested in finding out if Orlando is in the planning stages of any type of light rail or mass transit system in the next few years?

Are you guys big on recyling? What types of Organic grocery stores do you have there?

Sorry for the longwinded message, but it's great that I finally found a fourm that I can submit all my concerns to.

Darren
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2006, 07:27 PM

320 posts, read 1,557,016 times
Your questions are out of my area of expertise. Let me suggest you read through old post on this forum. They may have answers to some of your questions on the Orlando area. The Florida forum is not that big so it will not take that long.

Good luck. I hope you get the answers to your questions.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
You should get in touch with a good relocation company/realtor. They can answer all those questions in-depth. I live in East Orlando and we wanted the exact opposite of what you are looking for. The area you are wanting to live is crazy with traffic, people, tourists. East Orlando, specifically Waterford Lakes is more of a suburb feel. Our single neighbor sold home and bought a condo in "Metro West", which sounds like what you are looking for.

We moved here from the Philadelphia suburbs two years ago. Orlando is ok, but it's sure not a place I want to stay. You'll see when you get here exactly how low the wages are and how awful the infrastructure is. I'm not betting on any light rail systems in our lifetime. They talk about it but I doubt it will happen in years.

By the way, we have maniac drivers on the road, construction of roadways everywhere, toll roads galore and fatal accidents every day of the week... so beware. My advice to you is to live near wear you work. Also, do some negotiating on whatever it is you are buying. Prices are falling very quickly here after the escalation last year. No one can sell their properties, it's taking a very long time.

Hate to be a downer but I can think of much better places to land, than Orlando, or FL for that matter. The only reason we moved here was for a great career opportunity for my husband. I'm hoping another one comes our way in the next few years!

Best of luck on your move.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:06 PM

24 posts, read 242,744 times
If you don't mind a 40-minute highway drive to the attractions, check out Seminole County, about 15 minutes north of Orlando. In Lake Mary (where I live) there are dozens of new high-end office buildings (right along I-4) which have hi-tech companies of all sizes (including AAA, Sprint, etc.) which might be perfect for your wife.

We have the best schools and lowest crime rate in the area.....

P.S. My wife and I are going to Oregon for the first time in August to consider moving THERE. So perhaps we'll all end up canceling each other out.

Good luck......

Old 08-13-2014, 10:04 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,528 times
Orlando isn't one big resort as it was on your vacation. It's a real city which will be smaller than Portland. The weather will be better and there are lots of beaches within driving distance. All the environmental, hippy, new aged and classy things you may or may not like about Portland are not here. It's a different culture. Here it is about entertainment, restaurants, some shopping, nightlife. There is also a bit of a family culture you can probably meet your neighbors and find some meetup groups of interest.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxleclerc View Post
Hello all,

1. Close to toll highways

2. Must of hotel ammenities like resort style pool/fitness center, etc.

3. Close to major shopping (for the wife)

4. Can be a high rise building or a brownstone/townhouse option

5. Close to the theme Parks

Of course being from Portland, I'm interested in finding out if Orlando is in the planning stages of any type of light rail or mass transit system in the next few years?

Are you guys big on recyling? What types of Organic grocery stores do you have there?

Sorry for the longwinded message, but it's great that I finally found a fourm that I can submit all my concerns to.

Darren
1. I second the Lake Mary area. It's very close to I4, is very affluent, has great schools, great shopping nearby, etc. It isn't particularly close to theme parks, but then again, I will recommend against moving too close to those. (It's not FAR from them either... Just not what I would consider close)

2. You shouldn't have any issues with those types of amenities in Lake Mary.

3. Seminole Towne Center (although going through some changes) has decent stores. Altamonte Mall isn't too far if that isn't your cup of tea. 40 minutes or so down the road you have Mall at Millenia, which she should like.

I guess Freshfield Farms would qualify as an Organic grocery store. If not, Publix is BIG on organics.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:25 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Guys, check the dates on posts before replying lol.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Guys, check the dates on posts before replying lol.
I kinda wish the OP's would come back to these kinda of threads and give a update on what they ended up doing.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinpdx View Post
I kinda wish the OP's would come back to these kinda of threads and give a update on what they ended up doing.
Yeah I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando