Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 25,026 times

Advertisements

Hello! Do both of these neighborhoods use Seminole or Lake Mary High School? Do the kids go to private instead, and why? Which would be better fit for family with 8 year old? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,145,135 times
Check for the most up to date school zones here Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools and search for the schools that serve a specific address, but I beleive most of Heathrow is served by Seminole High, and Alaqua Lakes by Lake Mary. Many parents do use Private schools, many use public, it's usually a personal choice you can only decide for your own family...definitely recommended you visit and tour all the schools you may be considering.
Heathrow and Alaqua Lakes are both EXCELLENT neighborhoods, I'd give the slight edge to Alaqua Lakes but not by much, it would be hard to find fault with either.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Thank you so much -- I really appreciate your help!

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 22,021 times
I have lived in Heathrow for 5yrs and just moved to Alaqua Lakes a year ago. There are pros and cons and would be more than happy to share with you. Most people desire living in Alaqua Lakes vs Heathrow but Heathrow is still a very nice area too. Heathrow is currently zoned for Seminole H.S. I'd suggest taking a drive by it so you can get an idea of the area the h.s. is located. Alaqua Lakes is zoned for Lake Mary school an A rated high school w/a better reputation. They are both zoned for Heathrow Elementary (excellent school) and Markham Woods Middle. There are also excellent private schools in this area as well. Most of my friends w/elementary aged kids are very happy w/Heathrow elementary. Hope that helps and feel free to send me your email if you want more info. I didn't want to post mine on here. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
I would agree with most of what bessette says. Alaqua is a nicer area than Heathrow. The Lake Mary high school does not have an A rating but is a B actually. School Accountability Report...
Our best areas for schools are Oviedo, Winter Park , Dr. Phillips and Eastern Windermere in that order.
If you like rolling hills a secluded beautiful community then Alaqua has all that. It stands above most everywhere in the area, with few exceptions.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Default Thanks everyone!

I thank all of you for replying to my inquiry of Heathrow or Alaqua Lakes. I just returned from a trip to Florida and had a chance to visit both communities.
Though both are beautiful, I quickly found out that there were only 2 homes for sale in Alaqua Lakes under $600,000! Sadly, too pricey for me. We are going with Heathrow and actually bought a home there a few days ago. My 7 year old loves the neighborhood and all the kids and is very excited to attend school there.
I had a chance to talk with some people and do a lot of reading about the high schools (even though we have a few years before that new headache) and from what I learned from those I had a chance to visit, Seminole actually tests higher than Lake Mary and has an IB program. I was told that Seminole is getting better marks every year and Lake Mary is not. I have no idea if that is true but I will continue to watch the trends. I agree the neighborhood around Seminole is not very nice, but I talked with parents in Heathrow who send their kids to Seminole and they said they had no problems and the kids loved going there. I will keep close watch over the next 6-7 years to see what the trend is (isn't there always a trend?).
Again, thank you all for the input! I can't wait to move to beautiful Florida!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:17 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Congratulations! I went into Heathrow for the first time last week and it is very lovely. The entrance is very upscale and the drive along Heathrow Blvd is so lush with Mature trees. It was all very well kept up. I've only heard great things about that neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,866 times
Default Also wondering about Heathrow v. Alaqua v. Magnolia

Did you also evaluate Magnolia Plantation? How would you compare the 3 developments in terms of suitability for families with young kids, community involvement, etc.? If you don't mind listing them, what would the pros & cons be for these or even for Heathrow v. Alaqua Lakes since you mentioned you lived in both areas? We are relocating to Orlando later this summer and are trying to figure out where to live in the Heathrow area. Thank you!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:43 AM

56 posts, read 168,569 times
Default Alaqua Lakes, Heathrow, Magnolia Plantation Comparison

Here's the quick rundown on these three developments, from someone who has had multiple clients buy in each of the neighborhoods:

Alaqua Lakes - Nice amenity package with a seven acre park with pool, tennis courts, athletic fields, and a full-time activities director. Zoned for Lake Mary High School, which despite what you might read on this forum from Seminole High School parents, is the more desirable high school. The IB program and magnet programs at Seminole are great, but they don't offset Seminole's location and general population. Check test scores. Lake Mary is much higher overall.

Definitely more of a premium on the homes here than in the other two neighborhoods. A little bit of a perception of an uptight resident population, constantly trying to outdo each other with cars, homes, toys, etc. There is even snobbery within the neighborhood, with residents of the higher priced homes looking down their noses at those in the two lower-priced (relatively speaking) sections. Also, some residents in custom homes consider their homes superior to homes built by Taylor Woodrow, the original developer of the community. Despite the higher prices, the average age of owners is lower than you might think. Hence, lots of kids of all ages in the neighborhood.

Magnolia Plantation - Definitely a more relaxed, laid back atmosphere here, with not as much pressure to keep up. Nice lot sizes. Most homes were built by Centex, but there are custom sections and custom homes mixed in. One section built by Beazer homes. Overall a lower average price than both Alaqua Lakes and Heathrow. Decent amenities with a playground but not as extensive as in Alaqua Lakes and Heathrow. Golf course is public, so access to the neighborhood is relatively easy, comparatively speaking.

Heathrow - The oldest and largest of the three neighborhoods. Also, the most variety in price. There are villages of homes in the $300’s, as well as villages with million dollar homes. Extremely well-kept with very nice amenities. Racquet club and country club are private but social memberships are relatively inexpensive. The original developer sold the community to Arvida, which implemented the concept of villages containing different price range homes. It has worked well for the community. Access to shopping and the interstate is incredibly easy, with two main entrances, both at interstate interchanges. Lots of kids in the development, in all areas.

Bottom line, all three are very nice communities, each with their own feel. You need to explore all three and pick which one works best for you. You will find lots of kids you child’s age in all three of these neighborhoods.

Orlando Neighborhood Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando