Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM

10 posts, read 25,856 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I need to begin by saying that I've never even BEEN to Orlando. There's a chance my husband's job might take us there in the near future, which really scares me since I know absolutely nothing about the area. All I really know is that that's where Disney is. Considering that, I would really love some information. We have a 20 month old and another on the way, so decent schools, green space, and generally an area that is more family-oriented is what we are hoping for.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and have lived in Myrtle Beach, SC, Raleigh, NC, and now Charleston, SC. I absolutely hated Myrtle Beach because there was nothing outside of tourism. I love Pittsburgh, Raleigh, and Charleston because they are all more progressive, true 'cities' with lots for everyone. The only city I've been to in Florida is Tampa, and I wasn't certain how I felt about it. It seemed extremely crowded to me.

I know this is a bit general, but I'm hoping for any information I can get. Is Orlando a good place for a young, growing family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:04 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,126 times
I think you and your family need research these threads, then to come down to Orlando and spend some time getting to know the place. The people on this board are very knowledgeable but they can only speak from their own experiences. They will give you good info but you need to come down and see for yourself before you commit to anything.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:51 AM

We definitely do not plan to commit to the area until we spend some time there. I was just hoping for kind of an 'intro to Orlando' on this board so I knew what I needed to look into further...

Old 04-03-2009, 11:03 AM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Well the only thing I can say is that if you thought Tampa was extremely crowded you will have complete claustrophobia in Orlando. Orlando is packed to the gills. I love it that way though...

Look towards Clermont, Lake Mary or Oviedo. I think those will be the best places for a young family to grow and prosper safely.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:13 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
I grew up in PA to, if that matters. I would suggest not living by Disney. You can visit there for "fun" time, it's just not a place to live. Do you like the suburbs better or the country? Do you need to be near everything (stores, etc) or it doesn't really matter? Wil you be buying a house or renting? What price range are you in? Where exactly is your husband's work going to be? It's best to be close to there. Seminole County generally has better schools. Give us more info so we can better help you.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:12 PM

OK...let's see if I can get you more info. : )

Husband will (potentially) work in Orlando 32808 zip. He will travel all over Orlando for work, however, so we don't necessarily need to be right near his office. I'll initially be at home with our children as we are having baby #2 in September. Since I won't be working right away, it's a nonfactor for me.

We'll most likely buy if we find an area we are 100% sure about. Price range of $225-300k. Suburbs or country? It's hard to say. I love being in the quiet confines of a nicely planned community (trees and all) but still able to get to a grocery store, pharmacy, or Target in 5-10 minutes. We are suckers for green space, and would prefer to walk or bike to a park but don't mind getting in the car and driving if need be.

Kind of a side question - is there a 'true' downtown Orlando?

I told you I was clueless!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:20 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Lake Mary! It has the conveniences you are looking for. The schools are great too.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM

631 posts, read 2,451,219 times
Yes there is a true downtown Orlando with multiple parks, lakes, tree-lined and brick paved streets. Historic homes and neighborhoods with friendly (and active!) people. Most think downtown is scary and have no idea what it is like - which is fine by me since it keeps the area peaceful and quiet at night and on the weekends!

Old 04-03-2009, 07:24 PM

53 posts, read 108,408 times
Default Moved here December 2008....

I like it. I am from a city, and although not like the North, cultural aspects meet me quite well.

There are tons of things to do, and it is never boring.

As for living...I am content in Remington, which is located in Kissimmee. Now, some say Kissimmee is becoming no good, but I always lived in areas that tend to be a large suburb of a city. For us here, again, we are content. I have a PRican neighbor, Armenian, several american, one from UK and the other from Austria. My neighborshood is quite safe, and my kids run freely in it - along with all other kids.

I have two kids: 13 & 10. Neptune Middle is an excellant school, even though labeled a B....and the A one (Partin) that my son is in, we have huge problems. Now, figure that....so from MY EXPERIENCE...find a school that you like and forget these AB notions. Obviously, you do not want a real inner-city school. I am happier with the B school, than A to be quite frank.

As for things to do...it is what you make of it. I have very nice ppl from all cultures around me...I will be honest....if your the type that looks for a picture perfect neighborhood, etc....then Orlando is rather MIXED UP! Which is what I love about it.

I have to say...it is a good size city...lots of fun stuff...good schools, and you will enjoy it if you have an open mind.

I wish you luck.

Old 04-04-2009, 11:35 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeier View Post
is there a 'true' downtown Orlando?

I told you I was clueless!
I would not call it a "true" downtown. Its more like a very large town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando