Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM

6 posts, read 15,505 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am new to this forum but have been living in central FL for a couple of years now. Myself and my family have been thinking of buying some agricultural land maybe around central fl.
I wanted to ask for some help as well as advice regarding this.

1.Where in central fl(lake county, osceola county, or polk, etc) is land the cheapest? i guess from 40 to an hour away from orlando city?

2.How many acres would you advice for agricultural/family use?(horse riding, growing some plants, and having recreational fun)

3. I know orlando consists of allot of swap land. I have heard some people actually drain the swamps or they fix the land to make it flat and usable for agriculture...how would you do this and do you think this is advicable? i would like to buy swap land and keep part of it with the ponds and swap if possible.

4.Does anyone know of good priced agricultural land at the moment that is for sale?

I appreciate any advice and assistance. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 02:00 AM

314 posts, read 1,182,384 times
My guess is that Polk County might have the most reasonably priced land. I'm the last person to advise you on draining land to make it usable...I can't even properly prepare a small area in my back yard to grow a tomato.

Anyway, you could select towns in the counties you listed above and do a search on realtor.com. If you don't find what you're looking for, you will certainly find the names of realtors who deal in acreage. You can then email or phone them to describe exactly what you're looking for.

This sounds like a good venture. I wish you luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:57 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
What about Osteen?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Osteen is a good choice. I was on Maytown Rd yesterday and noticed land for sale.

Also check out the Geneva area. Lots of horse farms in that area.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
There is a great deal of land for sale. from homes with 5 acre parcels to just vacant tracts. There are good prices in most all the counties. Good is a relative term. If you want 100 acres for $20k then there will be nothing "good" around. If you want smaller tracts they can be found. Do you want a home on it? What are you prepared to spend? There are so many variables in this I'd say get with an agent and see what is out there.

As to draining swamps.... that is an environmental hazard which Im certain you won't get an approval for.to say nothing about a massive expense. Its cheaper to buy suitable land for the purpose you have in mind. If you are seeking 10 acres will start in the $300k range and go rapidly up. 20 acres will start at the 600k point and can go to 15M, 50 acres starts at 1.5M, 100 acres will exceed 5M.

I have a property for sale that has 5 acres on it but it is 1.1M because it has a 6600 ft pool home on it as well... There are many things that affect the value. Identify what you want and ask an agent to see whats available. thats the easiest way.
Good luck.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:20 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
Hello,
I'm from MN and is also looking for something similar to you. I have always wanted to buy some land near by Orlando (less than 1hr drive) so we can grow tropical fruits, plant a garden, and hopefully someday be able to retire on it with self-generated food. In my vision, I wanted to the place to be a mini-resort where friends, family and people with similar interest can come and relax under the shade, fishing, picking vegetegable and fruit from the tree, recreational fun, etc...

If you find out anything, I'd appreciate if you can share the information with me. I'm far away so it's been much harder for me. I hoping that we can find something around ~5 arce for under 100K if possible.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
Look around the Minneola area, it's going to be the new area of Orlando with a green focus.

As for a mini resort with fruits and veggie's plans are for 4400 homes and with the green focus it will bring in bike riders, walkers etc... as bike trails and 168 acre park are part of the project.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:53 AM

543 posts, read 1,387,025 times
Hello,
Thanks so much for your tip about Minneola area. I looked at the map and Minneola area looks really nice. It's promixity to Orlando is attractive for me.
Do you know where can I find more info about the area and land for sale in this area? Where can I find more info about the project that you mentioned.
How expensive are the land in this area? We'd like something like ~5 arces.
Any pointers would be appreciated.

Also, is Minneola a city by itself or is it a town? What city does it belong to?

Last edited by MNCold; 06-03-2009 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-06-2011, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL7777 View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum but have been living in central FL for a couple of years now. Myself and my family have been thinking of buying some agricultural land maybe around central fl.
I wanted to ask for some help as well as advice regarding this.

1.Where in central fl(lake county, osceola county, or polk, etc) is land the cheapest? i guess from 40 to an hour away from orlando city?

2.How many acres would you advice for agricultural/family use?(horse riding, growing some plants, and having recreational fun)

3. I know orlando consists of allot of swap land. I have heard some people actually drain the swamps or they fix the land to make it flat and usable for agriculture...how would you do this and do you think this is advicable? i would like to buy swap land and keep part of it with the ponds and swap if possible.

4.Does anyone know of good priced agricultural land at the moment that is for sale?

I appreciate any advice and assistance. Thank You.
Hi ,

I was wondering if you find any land for agriculture
I am also looking for the same
Please pass some info if you already found some

Thanks
saj

Old 12-06-2011, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNCold View Post
Hello,
I'm from MN and is also looking for something similar to you. I have always wanted to buy some land near by Orlando (less than 1hr drive) so we can grow tropical fruits, plant a garden, and hopefully someday be able to retire on it with self-generated food. In my vision, I wanted to the place to be a mini-resort where friends, family and people with similar interest can come and relax under the shade, fishing, picking vegetegable and fruit from the tree, recreational fun, etc...

If you find out anything, I'd appreciate if you can share the information with me. I'm far away so it's been much harder for me. I hoping that we can find something around ~5 arce for under 100K if possible.
Hi MNCold,

I have the same eact vision like you for a property in orlando
I was wondering if you already found any land for agriculture in florida
Please pass some info if you already found some

Thanks
saj
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: