Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM

141 posts, read 589,357 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We will apparently have 1 and maybe 2 kids going to UCF shortly. This changes our plans from Lakeland to this area now. Talk about a major change!! We did not drive this except to go to UCF. Our oldest is transferring possible this coming fall!!!
So now we need to make another trip down there and look at areas around the college to live.
We still dont want to be too far from city walk and sea world, but we now can look at the east side.
What about high schools (safe, dont have to be an A, either)?
Homeschooling my younger children up to high, so other schools are not important.
I need areas to look at to live. Still am not wanting gated, but are willing to give/take on other areas. Prefer Florida looking home area, not too close to neighbor, please . Close to shopping, like target and grocery stores.
thanks!
sea world bound sooner than i thought!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Try the waterford lakes area. It is the first residential community south of UCF, it has a town center with pretty much every store/resturant you can think of (uncluding a target) and the schools (timber creek high school, University High School, and coming fall of 09, east river high school) are decent schools. The only down fall might be the houses are somewhat close to eachother, but you may find a more spaced out neighborhood, like off tanner road.

You can also try Oveido, which is a little further away from UCF than Waterford, The shopping options there aren't as good as in waterford, The oveido mall is suffering (probably 45% vacant). The schools in oveido (hagerty high school, and Oveido High school) are probably better than in Waterford. But oveido gives me a "too nice" and kind of "fake" vibe, it seems like they thrive to be perfect, its kind of annoying.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,081 times
Oviedo, Winter Springs (particularly the Tuskawilla area) are definitely worth a look with highly rates high schools. There are lots of other shopping area's other than Oviedo mall, like the WinterSprings Towncenter for all your daily needs, Plenty of other shopping at the intersection of Red Bug and Tuskawilla Rd, and the Seminole TownCenter Mall a quick hop on the 417 away. Waterford Lakes shopping center is also a quick hop on the highways to get to.
The Waterford Lakes neighborhood (along with Eastwood and Stoneybrook West) are also good choices if you wanted to stay very close to UCF. Traffic is a bit more of a hassle along Alafaya though.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:34 PM

66 posts, read 226,882 times
woohoo im a university high school grad and UCF grad i think both were great schools and i think they now have a magnet program at uhs

i for one wouldnt live in a neighborhood w/the schools inside...its such a traffic nightmare..

oh and u can buy my house :P hahah my neighbors home school their son as well!

Old 04-09-2009, 10:23 PM

12 posts, read 34,599 times
Close to UCF are several apartments on Alafaya Trail, and apartments usually have a higher crime rate than an area that has houses with fewer rentals. Sea World, Universal Studios, and Disney are on the other side of the metro area and due to traffic it takes a while to get from one side of town to the other, especially during "rush hours." If the students are going to the medical school, that part of the college will be south of the airport in Lake Nona. UCF is a busy place as it is the sixth largest school in the nation.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,117 times
My daughter is transferring to UCF this Summer & I hope to get a job transfer to the Waterford area. I need to find place to live not too far from the Waterford area. I have a daughter starting HS & a son starting middle school. I can deal with a 20-25 min drive to & from work but I don't know what are the near by cities to the area. Can anyone give me any suggestions? P.S. I will also consider enrolling my kids in private schools if there any good recommendations for those as well. Thanks!!

Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
Seminole county schools are well regarded. My neighborhood (in Oviedo) is right across the road from UCF. I work on the campus and live less than 2 miles from work office door. Can bike there. Just remarking in response to someone's comment that Waterford Lakes is closer?

I like Oviedo. Lived in Tuskawilla when I raised my children but wanted to be closer to work so I chose Carillon Community.

Waterford Lakes is a nice area as well. The Waterford Lakes shopping is always busy and that is where I often shop myself.

Student apartments tend to be on roads surrounding UCF (Alafaya, Old Tanner, Old Lockwood, down to Waterford Lakes, etc). Wouldn't advise staying in those. Alafaya Woods apartments in Oviedo proper used to be nice. Has been awhile since I lived there. Would not advise staying in university leased apartments on Alafaya.

My co-workers who live in Avalon Park say they like it there and like the schools.

So that is my quick summary. Hope it helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando