Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:23 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times

Advertisements

From Crystal River to Ft. Walton Beach there are hundreds of thousands of acres of "old Florida". Try Inglis or Yankee Town for example. Also, North of Leesburg. West of Jacksonville (except Ft. Walton and Panama City). North of Okechobee to Kissimmee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,158,847 times
From Crystal River to Ft. Walton Beach there are hundreds of thousands of acres of "old Florida". Try Inglis or Yankee Town for example. Also, North of Leesburg. West of Jacksonville (except Ft. Walton and Panama City). North of Okechobee to Kissimmee.

There are only a small handfull of "Celebration" type communities. Hey, I don't like living in HOA communities either. But, I'd rather there be these kind of places that draw up-tight people with nothing better to do than spy on their neighbors like magnets so that I don't have to deal with them in my neighborhood. On, and one other thing - If I recall, those Stepford Wives were beautiful and quite pleasent. So what if they were robots?

Old 04-02-2007, 10:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
It's good to know there's still some of real Florida left that hasn't been pushed out to make room for horrible planned communities. There's something really creepy about a place all built at once to contrived standards. I have not been to Celebration personally, but have seen planned communities like Weston, where there are endless amounts of cheaply built stucco buildings to sour the landscape. For a nice town I would go to Labelle or Arcadia where a variety of structures existed. Actually my ideal city would be 1950's Miami where it was not too expensive and scenic. Coral Gables is a lot more beautiful than Celebration, but is a nightmare of rules and regulations.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:31 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Perhaps planned communities with HOA rules and regulations aren't for everyone, but I thank God I'm in one. My sister's story is a nightmare. She and her husband purchased 5 acres in the country outside her hometown and built their dream home. A large Victorian filled with original mill work, doors, leaded glass windows, fireplace surrounds etc. they had rescued from old estate homes. They then spent mega $$$ building estate columns for the drives and a brick fence enclosure for their backyard with the pool and pool house that is a smaller version of the main home.

They poured their life and money into this home for 16 years - finally getting it all done to their satisfaction. Two years ago the 35 acre property adjacent to theirs went on the market. After having spent so much money to build their dream home they didn't have the money to purchase the land even after they found out it was being purchased for a Trailer Park. You can imagine what has happened to the value of their dream home - not to mention what they have to look at right beside their home on a daily basis. They want to move, but they can't get out of their home what they have invested in it.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,647,783 times
I would think with high-density trailers next door their value would have skyrocketed up! But with 5 acres wouldn't the trailer park be out of view? A 6 foot chain link fence topped with barbed wire does wonders to keep the trailer trash away. Also once moved in who would want to sell? I would be running down to the property tax assessor's office to get them to lower my assessment and start saving $$$$$. Stay put. put up a fence. plant lots of trees and cacti and poison oak and enjoy your home, that's my theory. I would rather have low property values and use the savings in tax money for a nice fence and home improvements. Also save up some money and maybe buy back the tralier park after it's destroyed in a future hurricane.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,988,137 times
I am in Celebration. We moved here 2 and 1/2 years ago from up North. We closed on our 1/1 condo in June 2005 and paid $148,900 for it. You can get a 1/1 for around $195,000 today. 2/2 for $250,000. Nice pool/workout room/tennis courts too. The community is really nice. Tons of walking trails, lots of restaurants (a new deli, Starbucks and pizza place/Italian restaurant just opened.) You will pay a lot in property tax and condo fees for a bigger place. Some single family homes are listed at $329,000 now- not too bad for the area. Lots of wildlife and nice neighbors. Too many vacation homes and not enough full time residents but that is all of FL pretty much. Lots of events in the downtown-art festival this past weekend. 5 minutes to WDW property!

Looked all over Central FL and this was our favorite! Oh-the HOA does not really do anything. They may warn you but it is mainly your neighbors asking you to keep the place looking nice. Helps all our property values. Drive around you will see decorations, political signs, creative porches, etc.. Many different styles of homes.

Old 04-02-2007, 02:53 PM

541 posts, read 1,988,137 times
Just one more thing. We still have a lot of green space here thank God. They kept many mature trees, woods, preserves, lakes. This weekend while out biking, we saw TONS of birds (wild turkey, storks, Blue Heron, Egrets, bald eagle, etc..) an otter, 5 deer, gators, a caymen, turtles, several hawks, and a huge owl in the woods near our condo. Many people own dogs here and we have dog pots all over with bags to pick up after them. We have seen a baby panther in the woods and my parents have a silver/gray fox in their woods as well as deer.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:16 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,335,567 times
cil - love it, love it.

Oeeee, tallrick gets me all warm and fuzzy inside just thinking of how his pearls of wisdom drips off his fingertips. Aren't we all ever so grateful not to have to live inside this black hole of venomous negativity.

There, said it and I am not taking it back. :-)

Old 08-22-2011, 11:09 AM

31 posts, read 104,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnlee View Post
I hear how great the schools are in celebration but do they have any affordable housing for the average person. I mean 300.000 or under
no
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando