Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:22 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times

Advertisements

http://www.change.org/petitions/anan...share_petition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Just signed, thank you for the link.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
Beckycat, on the Orlando forum?!? Lol. Enjoying Greenville SC I bet--- it is awesome... be up that way in August...

Old 07-16-2014, 05:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I hate to tell you, it's not going to work. Who is paying for the extended service? If you think the farebox pays for the cost of public transit, think again. It covers about 20% of total costs, 60-80% of operating costs. Where is teh money going to come from?

When LYNX was strapped for cash and going to cancel some late night service, private entities stepped up and covered the difference with grants so their employees could get to and from work. I'm not seeing that happen with SunRail, as operating costs for rail are 4X that of buses.

I love it when people have grand ideas that they don't think through to the bottom line...

Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I hate to tell you, it's not going to work. Who is paying for the extended service? If you think the farebox pays for the cost of public transit, think again. It covers about 20% of total costs, 60-80% of operating costs. Where is teh money going to come from?

When LYNX was strapped for cash and going to cancel some late night service, private entities stepped up and covered the difference with grants so their employees could get to and from work. I'm not seeing that happen with SunRail, as operating costs for rail are 4X that of buses.

I love it when people have grand ideas that they don't think through to the bottom line...
Well let me tell you that the powers that be are discussing it and are seeking a dedicated source of funding (tax, fee, etc) as well as cost saving ideas for weekend service like smaller, cheaper, self propelled cars.

You know it's funny nobody ever screams about I4 and the Wekiva Parkway and all those other boondoggls that don't make money and taxpayers front exclusively. My response is get over it, pay up and realize this is part of living in a growing city.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Well let me tell you that the powers that be are discussing it and are seeking a dedicated source of funding (tax, fee, etc) as well as cost saving ideas for weekend service like smaller, cheaper, self propelled cars.

You know it's funny nobody ever screams about I4 and the Wekiva Parkway and all those other boondoggls that don't make money and taxpayers front exclusively. My response is get over it, pay up and realize this is part of living in a growing city.
So they want to spend a few hundred million for more cars? Where is this money coming from?

I don't want to spend another dime of my tax dollars on a service which is only usable by a very small, select group of people while Clermont has lost it's LYNX service because of funding cuts. Something is wrong with this picture.

I'm all for extended service on SunRail IF and ONLY IF the farebox makes enough to support it 100%. In other words, charge those who use it enough to actually pay for it.

PS--I'd gladly pay a toll to drive on I-4 if it would ease congestion. I already pay tolls to use other roads to avoid it.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
So they want to spend a few hundred million for more cars? Where is this money coming from?

I don't want to spend another dime of my tax dollars on a service which is only usable by a very small, select group of people while Clermont has lost it's LYNX service because of funding cuts. Something is wrong with this picture.

I'm all for extended service on SunRail IF and ONLY IF the farebox makes enough to support it 100%. In other words, charge those who use it enough to actually pay for it.

PS--I'd gladly pay a toll to drive on I-4 if it would ease congestion. I already pay tolls to use other roads to avoid it.
And those other roads do not make enough from tolls either, so by your logic I in Longwood shouldn't have to pay for roads in Clermont.

Since we're on the subject of how you paid for SunRail, please list how much and when you paid taxes to support this project. I mean tons of the money was federal, which I agree is a lost cause, but since we don't have a state income tax, and the state DOT spent the most, I'm a little confused about the impact to you personally.

And PS, if we charged enough for all the sprawl-suckers who moved out to Lake County to ride on their shiny new 429s, and 408s, it would probably be cost prohibitive for mist commuters.

So my question is why is it ok for you to come on here acting like you paid for SunRail, when I pay for your roads yet my lifestyle is vastly better for the environment, and future of Central Florida.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
And those other roads do not make enough from tolls either, so by your logic I in Longwood shouldn't have to pay for roads in Clermont.

Since we're on the subject of how you paid for SunRail, please list how much and when you paid taxes to support this project. I mean tons of the money was federal, which I agree is a lost cause, but since we don't have a state income tax, and the state DOT spent the most, I'm a little confused about the impact to you personally.

And PS, if we charged enough for all the sprawl-suckers who moved out to Lake County to ride on their shiny new 429s, and 408s, it would probably be cost prohibitive for mist commuters.

So my question is why is it ok for you to come on here acting like you paid for SunRail, when I pay for your roads yet my lifestyle is vastly better for the environment, and future of Central Florida.
So the money I paid to the IRS wasn't part of it? By your logic, all the roads everywhere should be toll roads, including those in Longwood.

The 429 and 408 are toll roads, as is the Turnpike. I hate to break it to you, but the majority of the State DOT's funding comes from Federal DOT and FTA.

I paid well into the five figures to the IRS last year. That doesn't count the medi's and FICA, etc.

As far as my personal carbon footprint, jokes on you. I work from home 3-5 days a week, and combine trips together when I do go out. Additionally due to building the house with energy efficiency in mind, my home uses considerably less energy than 99% of homes in Florida.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
So the money I paid to the IRS wasn't part of it? By your logic, all the roads everywhere should be toll roads, including those in Longwood.

The 429 and 408 are toll roads, as is the Turnpike. I hate to break it to you, but the majority of the State DOT's funding comes from Federal DOT and FTA.

I paid well into the five figures to the IRS last year. That doesn't count the medi's and FICA, etc.

As far as my personal carbon footprint, jokes on you. I work from home 3-5 days a week, and combine trips together when I do go out. Additionally due to building the house with energy efficiency in mind, my home uses considerably less energy than 99% of homes in Florida.
Feels like I'm beating a dead horse but I'll ask again. How much did you spend on SunRail!? And those toll roads don't collect enough in tolls to fully fund themselves, just like rail. Sounds like you're just afraid of a little tax in the name of progress, and you think it's not fair that where you live doesn't have transit.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Feels like I'm beating a dead horse but I'll ask again. How much did you spend on SunRail!? And those toll roads don't collect enough in tolls to fully fund themselves, just like rail. Sounds like you're just afraid of a little tax in the name of progress, and you think it's not fair that where you live doesn't have transit.
I would have no problem with the tolls being raised to cover the cost of the new limited access roads, as long as the same happens to I-4 and public transit. Transit dollars should be more equitably spent, that's for sure. Not just in this area, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando