Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,398 times

Advertisements

I work at Disney, and they have more respect for feces than me. They are horrible, that's why I'm looking for another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:02 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,461,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
It would seem that low paying jobs at department stores, convienence stores, etc would be just as good if not better. That doesn't make any sense that if that many people hated working there that they would continue to do so. It can't be for the prestige of saying you work there if the locals think Disney is the evil empire....Can anyone offer their opinion on this mystery. Thanks.
Have you ever been to Orlando? There is, literally, almost nowhere to work but in the tourist industry!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 17,786 times
I never have worked at Disney so I don't know first hand experience. But not all the 10's of thousands employees are going to be thrilled with it. Some said they were forced to smile and they couldn't stand that. Well you are suppose to be working at the happiest place on earth, where dreams come true. So that is part of the job! I don't want to go to Disney World and see a Cast Member not smiling.

We just went there in December and the waiter at one of the restaurants had been there for like 10 plus years.

One of the bus drivers had been there 2-3 years and he moved down from another state to work and he is still there. He is semi retired so pay must not be it but he must enjoy it.

I have had some jerk managers at where I have worked and probably some at Disney, some are probably super cool. But you can kinda understand at times why it could be that way to an extent.

Again, I haven't personally talked to anyone that hated working for Disney but see comments online about ones who have. I don't see how working at some other BIG company would be that much different either. Just saying.

I wouldn't want to maybe work there as a full time person and struggle to make ends meet but if I had a chance to work seasonally or something just to check it out, I might, just to do it!

I enjoy Disney as a patron and have done so many times and will continue to do so.

My two cents!!

Old 01-17-2014, 01:59 AM

24,322 posts, read 26,692,720 times
What do entry-level people expect with essentially a minimum wage job, to be included in corporate meetings? Come on lol. If you are 30 years old working as an attractions attendant full-time than you should only blame yourself. I worked as one in high school (for Universal), it isn't rocket science and the benefits of free admission make it worth it. I have friends at the time who also worked at Disney World. It's basically whichever park you want benefits you go there to work. There are hundreds of high paying jobs with Disney, but you need to have the qualifications and experience. I'm assuming the people complaining are the entry-level employees.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,345,791 times
I'll take Disney over working at Walmart. Interacting with tourist from better parts of the country is much better than interacting with hostile locals.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:06 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Have you ever been to Orlando? There is, literally, almost nowhere to work but in the tourist industry!
20 percent or so of the working population in Orlando work in tourism related work. What do you think the other 80 pct is doing?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 PM

78 posts, read 119,678 times
So I don't work at Disney and I am not living in Orlando yet(20 days till we move) but looking at apartments I've seen that several give a discount in either rent or decrease in security deposit if you work at Disney. I'd say that means they respect that the company brings people into the area. Then again you could probably only afford these apartments on management positions not entry level.

I know for me I love Disney and the thought of working there excites me. I work in hospitality. However I will be looking toward the Hilton brand because their perks are more worldwide. I'll pay for my annual pass to Disney and get paid a little more at Hilton and a really amazing discount at all Hilton hotels everywhere. Still, I'm thinking of trying to do the seasonal part time with Disney just to get the theme park specific perks.

I think if you know what to expect you're okay. People who go into it thinking just because it's Disney the job is going to be amazing, are asking to be disapointed. All jobs have their pluses and minuses. Nobody is forcing people to work there.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Thumbs up Compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioKayla View Post
Wow, Nirvana Guy, you are seriously speaking out of line.. This is an excellent company, and I feel like you have bashed it without any knowledge of what you are talking about.

I work for Disney as well, and most of what you said is not true.. Every job is going to suck, because it is just that, A JOB! However, with Disney you at least get to have fun; Laughing, Dancing, Talking with guests and playing with children, those are the things I do every day! I work with a few people who hate their job, they just stand there, expecting to do NOTHING and get paid for it! You do have to work, but it's so much better than working for a fast food chain or whatever.

1. The pay - Of course you're getting paid minimum wage, you probably work a job that is entry level and you don't do anything! If you were to put your mind to it and sweat a little you would advance and get better paying jobs! Trust me, if I can advance in 3 months, anyone can advance over time!! Plus, there are about 6 managers in each area, its not hard to become a manager.

2. Recommendations - When you have Disney on your resume employers drool over you, they know that Disney spent a full week (or two) training you to the fullest of there abilities, and if you weren't proficient in your job, they trained you more, and made sure you were able to do a great job! Universal Studios will hire a Disney employee over anyone else. (I have a friend who works in there HR department, and he hires only Disney employees, even if they are in bad standing with Disney)

3. Illegal workers - There are NO illegal immigrants working for Disney, if you honestly work for Disney, then you would remember that it took an entire 8 hour day to make sure you were an American citizen. Remember that 8 hour day where they did a background check, a credit check, and even took your fingerprints?! Also, most of the foreign workers you see are here on the International College Program, doing internships for a short period of time, and then going home. The one time someone made a joke about one of my fellow employees being an illegal worker, he went home that day, and did not come back until they made sure it was false.

4. Job Market - The job market in Orlando has very little tourism positions available, seeing as how Universal and Disney are almost 20 miles form the city. When you get to the areas of Disney there are plenty of tourism related jobs, and why not? Isn't it tourists who come to Disney? but you will see the same tourism infested job markets anywhere popular to travel. You think New York city, Chicago, LA, or any other major tourist stop isn't like this? Also, I can tell you don't get off property much, maybe a cp? because you would know that if you travel more than 10 miles from Disney property, there is nothing touristy about those towns.

5. Management - If your manager is verbally abusing you, then report him, he will be reprimanded, or even fired. Disney has very strict policies on these things, and does not stand for it. Due to the companies size, you always have the option to transfer, advance to a higher role, or multiple other things that will get you away from one particular person. However, you do have to have less than 5 call ins to transfer, Is that something you would even qualify for? sounds like you have enough issues at work already.

6. Time off - You say you have no days off, but you basically pick when you want to work. You tell your managers when you are available and they schedule you around those hours. Plus, if you ever want a day off or to work at a different time you can always give your shift away or trade shifts with someone. When you walk into the break room at any work location you will see a shift trade board, and there are thousands of people who want to pick of shifts, and thousands more looking to give them away, so you never have too many or too little hours.

7. Benefits - Sick days deducted from pay? not a chance. If you are hourly, you don't get paid. If you are salary, you do. End of story, don't complain because you didn't get paid when you called in and didn't work. Full time employees get 80 hours of paid time off each year, that's two full weeks. Health insurance is available to any full time worker, just like any other job. If you are part time, you have the opportunity to "buy in" to the health care as well. Disney has a full Health Clinic and pharmacy on site, so you don't even have to go anywhere else, they will even pick you up and drop you off from your work location. I fractured my wrist at work, and within a few hours I was at the clinic, got X-rays, got my pain meds and brace, and was home in bed, with a full days pay. Pretty nice, huh?

8. Park Tickets - Oh, and those Complimentary Park Tickets, you claim you don't get, is one of the biggest jokes I have ever heard. Disney gives more comped park tickets than Universal (by far). You know that ID you have that has your picture on it? That is free admission to any Disney theme park in the world, 24/7, no questions asked. Oh, and that Blue ID you have, you know, the one that says "Main Entrance Pass"? That is the one that has all your tickets for friends and family. You can bring 4 people per day, and how many days you get depends on your job title (the lowest if 6, that's a total of 24. Full time gets 15, that's a total of 60 free tickets per year!!! Universal gives 3 tickets per quarter, no matter your job title, that's a grand total of 12 tickets per year.) Plus each year they give out a Holiday Booklet, as a Christmas present to employees, that has 4 more park tickets, 4 Disney Quest tickets, 8 mini golf tickets, and 4 water park tickets. It also includes %50 off of food, and merchandise, plus numerous other benefits! You should have also received an actual gift from the company as well, This year we got a Christmas tree ornament, and a Cast only copy of Toy Story 3!

So if you honestly think this is the worst company in the world, go work at a few more companies and let me know how you feel then. Also, you say Disney is enslaving people, you have the option to quit at any point, so go ahead, walk out. If you don't want to do anything to better your career, then you will sit with the same pay, and the same crap job forever. So until you can learn to be a positive, functional, improvement in the workplace, don't go around bashing companies that are actually very good to their staff.

All the things you said about pay, health insurance, benefits, paid time off and sick days are irrelevant. A company with this stature, that is this large, cannot break any laws without someone breathing down there necks. They follow every law to a T, and do not/cannot slip away from those. These are the things you will find at any employer across the USA.

Sorry you do not enjoy your job with Disney, but don't take it out on a good standing, loyal company.
GM: [email]razorinnovations@ymail.com[/email]
Wow,
RadioKayla I am impressed, and your professional manner and knowledge is indeed AHEAD! You have done justice to truth, and how real business work, Disney, like real businesses, do not need to do otherwise, there's no time for games, they are in the business for people to enjoy games and have fun, however, You are truly an asset to Disney, and someone there need to pin-point you and have you exactly where you belong in that conglomerate (group of company's)! I want to retire from being self employed in December this year, and feel like settling in that region very soon, and would love to spend my time doing fun things, as I am always a people person all of my life, Children... Oh I am great with them as well. I would like to be in a happy place like Disney, to keep me busy, and on the go!
I am sure you made thousands of people happy with your post, and all of it make perfect sense to me, as a business person. Its a great place for people to live longer and enjoy their FAmily, working in such a great place. This notation is all for You RadioKayla, its nothing to do with the other posts, so in case anyone is looking for me to say something on Disney's behalf. Its a household name Globally, its history is by far one of the greatest story ever told, and with never-ending world class standards, that deserves SEVEN-STARS!
Thank You, and great luck.
You are AHEAD, and going places...
Well done...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:54 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Obviously you know nothing about Orlando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando