U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-24-2009, 12:41 PM
 
17 posts, read 35,531 times
Reputation: 24

Advertisements

I am moving from DC to Orlando, so let me preface this question with where I am coming from. Yes I live in DC. Yes there is crime. For lack of better terms:
- Yes there are people who can live with crime even if it never occurs to them, but somewhere around them.
-Yes there are people who want to live where little if any crime ever occurs.

Obviously I am a city person, so this question is directed to other city people in Orlando. I have narrowed my home search to east of I4 and north of 408. Can you give me the pros/cons, pluses/minuses, or any overall information on these areas. Have I missed any? Thanks.
1. Colonialtown North and South
2. Audubon Park
3. Winter Park. I've included this only as a distant 3rd because in my opinion the prices here more represent the geographical name or area vs. actual value. We have the same thing with certain areas here.

P.S. Definately NOT Baldwin Park. Nice place, but not for me.

Last edited by ExDC; 04-24-2009 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: typos
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2009, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
1,988 posts, read 6,589,553 times
Reputation: 649
Most areas north of 408, east of I-4 and west of Semoran are pretty nice and you can't go horribly wrong in this area. Winter Park is very very nice, but I know what you are saying. You do not have to pay those prices to land somewhere pretty nice and filled with amenities. The biggest difference between those areas is what type of architectural style you prefer on your home. Audubon park has a lot of concrete block ranch homes, while Thornton Park/Colonialtown have a lot of colonial or victorian style two story homes. Otherwise I approve of these areas, they are all pretty solid.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 12:54 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 57,069,144 times
Reputation: 13083
I love the Colonialtown area. It's very walkable with almost everything you'd want or need within a few minutes walk, yet the homes are mostly on residential side streets. My only complaint is that it feels very dark at night, the streets are not well lit at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
 
17 posts, read 35,531 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Most areas north of 408, east of I-4 and west of Semoran are pretty nice and you can't go horribly wrong in this area. Winter Park is very very nice, but I know what you are saying. You do not have to pay those prices to land somewhere pretty nice and filled with amenities. The biggest difference between those areas is what type of architectural style you prefer on your home. Audubon park has a lot of concrete block ranch homes, while Thornton Park/Colonialtown have a lot of colonial or victorian style two story homes. Otherwise I approve of these areas, they are all pretty solid.
As for architectural styles, I've had to change my views! "Ranch", "Concrete Block". Here I would never consider either. While we do have ranch homes, I'm not sure about concrete block vs. brick, but somehow it seems to work in FL. Plus "when in in Rome...". As for Thornton Park, I kind of lumped it in with Winter Park. Both areas seem very nice and perhaps overall worth the prices. But again, I feel you are paying more for a name--there its "park", here its "circle".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:14 PM
 
17 posts, read 35,531 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I love the Colonialtown area. It's very walkable with almost everything you'd want or need within a few minutes walk, yet the homes are mostly on residential side streets. My only complaint is that it feels very dark at night, the streets are not well lit at all.
I like the fact you can walk places. One thing DC people do is walk a lot. As for lack of street lights, do you mean on the residential streets? That would be change. I have so street lights many around my house I can literally walk anywhere in the house at night without turning on a light!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
1,988 posts, read 6,589,553 times
Reputation: 649
I think the ranch homes in certain areas are very attractive, but they are not all attractive. A drive through Audubon Park gives you a good display of ugly and attractive concrete homes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 57,069,144 times
Reputation: 13083
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDC View Post
I like the fact you can walk places. One thing DC people do is walk a lot. As for lack of street lights, do you mean on the residential streets? That would be change. I have so street lights many around my house I can literally walk anywhere in the house at night without turning on a light!
Yes, the residential streets just aren't all that well lit.

Many of the houses in Colonialtown are one story bungalows, some are block but many are sided.

Will you be renting or buying? Often the owners in that area just put a sign in the front yard of the rentals, "FOR RENT CALL XXX-XXXX" so you'll want to drive around and look for those. Rents for homes in the 800-1400 s/f range in that area seem to run $800-1400, sometimes lawn care is included, and some have garages.

I have several friends in that area and they really love it. It's quiet and convenient and walkable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:59 PM
 
17 posts, read 35,531 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, the residential streets just aren't all that well lit.

Many of the houses in Colonialtown are one story bungalows, some are block but many are sided.

Will you be renting or buying? Often the owners in that area just put a sign in the front yard of the rentals, "FOR RENT CALL XXX-XXXX" so you'll want to drive around and look for those. Rents for homes in the 800-1400 s/f range in that area seem to run $800-1400, sometimes lawn care is included, and some have garages.

I have several friends in that area and they really love it. It's quiet and convenient and walkable.
Hopefully buying, assuming I can find a house I like. Don't think prices or mortagage rates will get much lower if at all. Also, the thoughts packing and moving my entire household TWICE in a year or so timeframe does not appeal to me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 AM
 
4,167 posts, read 8,378,015 times
Reputation: 2427
The older bungalows in Colonialtown have alot of charm and much more interesting than your standard ranch, some have attics and some even have basements. The streets are lit but many are heavily shaded by huge oak trees that make it seem much darker at night because the light doesn't illuminate as well through all the trees. You should also consider Delaney Park immediatly south of the 408.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2009, 08:36 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 57,069,144 times
Reputation: 13083
I'm not a big fan of Delaney Park lately, it seems that there's been a lot of crime creep into that area recently, which is unfortunate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top