Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,558 times

Advertisements

I'm a 34 year college professor relocating to Florida for a job. The position is in Seminole County (Sanford). I am looking for an apartment, condo, etc. for rent. However, every place I research I read about high crime. What are the safest areas in Seminole County and Orlando?

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Check out Winter Springs, Lake Mary, Winter Park, and Longwood. All are safe and homes in many price ranges in those areas.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNorthtoSouth View Post
I'm a 34 year college professor relocating to Florida for a job. The position is in Seminole County (Sanford). I am looking for an apartment, condo, etc. for rent. However, every place I research I read about high crime. What are the safest areas in Seminole County and Orlando?
In Sanford itself there are some new condos/apartment on Lake Monroe. Not far from the Marina. I'm sorry I don't know the names but a google search should help.
The neighborhood is find and they've spent a lot of time and $$ revitalizing the downtown area. Lots of neat places to eat and hang out.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
If you're working in Sanford, I'd look into Lake Mary. It's right next door. Crime rate is very low. It is safe here.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed There are nice places in Sanford too, but you have to be picky. Where are you coming from? I came from PA and the crime here doesn't compare to there. To me, Philly is way worse. What price range are you looking at?

Check out Knotting Hill, Colonial Town Park in Heathrow, Regency Park at Lake Mary, Bentley Park and there are new condos in Sanford off 46A.(not sure what they are called)

Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 05:15 AM..

Old 12-03-2009, 06:16 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
I tried to send you an DM, but it says you don't accept messages. I have some very helpful info to pass onto you. Send me a message and I will pass the info onto you.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
Orlando (and surrounding areas) are great place to vacation but horrid places to live. Crime is high! People are rude, no sense of community and family. Tolls are ridiculous. I spent over $2500 in tolls in 2009 which is not tax deductible unless it is a business expense-not going to and from work and some places you can't even get to without taking toll roads. Rent and mortgages don't match income. State workers don't get pay raises. Income doesn't off set cost of living. I don't recommend anyone move here and we are leaving asap. Good luck and think twice or a hundred times before moving here.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscully26 View Post
Orlando (and surrounding areas) are great place to vacation but horrid places to live. Crime is high! People are rude, no sense of community and family. Tolls are ridiculous. I spent over $2500 in tolls in 2009 which is not tax deductible unless it is a business expense-not going to and from work and some places you can't even get to without taking toll roads. Rent and mortgages don't match income. State workers don't get pay raises. Income doesn't off set cost of living. I don't recommend anyone move here and we are leaving asap. Good luck and think twice or a hundred times before moving here.
That is YOUR situation.

I live and work in Lake County. I spent about $100 in tolls last year, not including trips to South Florida where I took the Turnpike.

My community is great, I know my neighbors, we socialize, and no one is rude.

Our housing costs are comfortable in relation to our income.

The difference between you and I is that we took a lot of time and did a lot of research before moving here, chose the right neighborhood after several years of searching, and have careers taht are not only in demand but pay well, even around here.

If you have no job skills, no money to live in a decent neighborhood, and come here on a wing and a prayer, you will most likely fail. If you come here with a plan, some savings, and marketable skills, you'll be very happy.

My advice

Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That is YOUR situation.

I live and work in Lake County. I spent about $100 in tolls last year, not including trips to South Florida where I took the Turnpike.

My community is great, I know my neighbors, we socialize, and no one is rude.

Our housing costs are comfortable in relation to our income.

The difference between you and I is that we took a lot of time and did a lot of research before moving here, chose the right neighborhood after several years of searching, and have careers taht are not only in demand but pay well, even around here.

If you have no job skills, no money to live in a decent neighborhood, and come here on a wing and a prayer, you will most likely fail. If you come here with a plan, some savings, and marketable skills, you'll be very happy.

My advice
Annerk, you said it exactly right, and it illustrates the problem with trying to judge your success with something with someone else's. You have to look at your individual situation and what you are bringing to the table. Everybody seems to be looking for some "garden of eden" somewhere and no one wants to takes responsibility for their own happiness.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 35,152 times
Having actually lived in Orange and Seminole county for about 20 years, I can tell you that it has become more of a challenge to find good rental properties that are reasonable. Many areas of Orlando have transitioned into high crime areas over the past 10-15 years. UCF area is particularly bad. Tolls around the area are high, especially if you have to use 417/408 regularly. Most recently I lived in Winter Springs, which is very low crime rate overall. Here is a link to the Seminole County Crime Map:

Seminole County Sheriff's Office - Characterizing Browser (http://www.seminolesheriff.org/en-us/advisories/crime_maps/index.php - broken link)

And here is a toll rate calculator once you know where work and home will be to see what the daily commute will cost if you use toll roads:

Welcome to SunPass.com

Take a look around, this gives you very specific data to compare against potential rental locations. If you end up narrowing your search to some specific locations, post here so we can help provide you with more information.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:44 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,510,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superscully26 View Post
Horrid place to live? No sense of community and family? That sure doesn't sound like Orlando to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando