Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 AM

258 posts, read 812,123 times

Advertisements

I like Orlando. It's smaller, but got everything you need. It's an up-and-coming city, so it's not as established. Tampa has some cool history like Ybor city which Orlando doesn't really have, but you can find nicer places to live in Orlando for less money. And if you ever want to experience Tampa or Daytona, it's just an hour drive and you can spend the day there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,669,153 times
Why not consider other parts of Florida like SE Florida. It is much more convenient with more to do. There is a much better breeze on the Atlantic side as well. Check out Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach Counties.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:54 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Why not consider other parts of Florida like SE Florida. It is much more convenient with more to do. There is a much better breeze on the Atlantic side as well. Check out Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach Counties.
While real estate may be more expensive, I totally agree. Having lived in both Central and South FL, I'd pick the south any day.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:23 PM

8 posts, read 42,649 times
If you are planning a move to Tampa, it is a good time; if you can find employment. There are many homes to choose from. Most homes purchased in 2003 were purchased at a much higher price then they are worth today. I think eventually, this market is going to bounce back here. When it does, it will be unaffordable. I live in the Grand Hampton sub-division in New Tampa. This sub-division is great if you have small children or, planning to have some day. They offer great amenities then most of the subdivisions in New Tampa. You pay a little more but then again, they give you something for your money and that in-itself is worth it. you don't need to put in a pool... which is a huge expense. That alone is worth looking into. I am not a Realestate Agent. Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM

872 posts, read 1,713,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Tampa area: prettier beaches but tiny waves, limited sea breeze unless you are right on the beach, so it gets hotter there. Orlando: no beaches, you have to drive to Cocoa or Daytona. Crime is worse in Orlando, but Tampa has crime problems too. Higher HOI in Tampa area. Bad traffic in both places. Orlando centrally located, you can get almost anywhere in Fla. for a day trip. Tampa out in the middle of nowhere.

In Orlando you would like Seminole county. In Tampa, Pasco county (watch out for sinkholes though), or maybe some parts of Hillsborough. Of course it all depends on your budget.
How is Tampa out in the middle of nowhere and Orlando isn't? Tampa has St.Pete, Sarasota, and Clearwater closeby. The nearest beaches to Orlando are one hour away and there's very little going on. Right across the bay from Tampa Pinellas county is loaded with bars and restaurants right on the water. You just don't see much of that on the east coast. Both are the same distance to Miami metro. The only location Orlando is closer to is Jacksonville and there's nothing special there anyways.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:05 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,759 times
The beaches are nice but that's all there is there. I don't find the city of Tampa, or much of Pinellas county appealing on their own. It's convenient if you're going to Fort Myers or Sarasota but it's poorly connected to the rest of the state. It does have some things to do there, like beaches and sports teams. Tons of chain restaurants there--I don't think the restaurant scene is any better than any other large Florida city.

Orlando you can get to 95, Florida Turnpike, I4 very easily. From Tampa you have to take Route 60 to get to southeast FL--awful, takes forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogercobb View Post
How is Tampa out in the middle of nowhere and Orlando isn't? Tampa has St.Pete, Sarasota, and Clearwater closeby. The nearest beaches to Orlando are one hour away and there's very little going on. Right across the bay from Tampa Pinellas county is loaded with bars and restaurants right on the water. You just don't see much of that on the east coast. Both are the same distance to Miami metro. The only location Orlando is closer to is Jacksonville and there's nothing special there anyways.

Last edited by stars99; 05-05-2009 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
The beaches are nice but that's all there is there. I don't find the city of Tampa, or much of Pinellas county appealing on their own. It's convenient if you're going to Fort Myers or Sarasota but it's poorly connected to the rest of the state. It does have some things to do there, like beaches and sports teams. Tons of chain restaurants there--I don't think the restaurant scene is any better than any other large Florida city.

Orlando you can get to 95, Florida Turnpike, I4 very easily. From Tampa you have to take Route 60 to get to southeast FL--awful, takes forever.
I agree. I do not know why people are arguing about this still. Tampa is not the most convenient. It has other redeeming qualities as mentioned, but Orlando has a central location and is more convenient to the whole state. A lot of other areas are less convenient though just based on location. Miami is at the end of a water surrounded peninsula. Key West is at the end of an archipelago, then there is the panhandle. Orlando is right in the middle of all of this and convenient to all major highways in Florida to some degree.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:38 PM

30 posts, read 88,408 times
can anyone shed any light on area with good schools and homes for rent that would be the half way point in between Tampa & Orlando??

Last edited by Cheerdiva; 05-07-2009 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerdiva View Post
can anyone shed any light on area with good schools and homes for rent that would be the half way point in between Tampa & Orlando??
A lot of people like and recommend Auburndale. Polk County is not my specialty though

Old 05-07-2009, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Yup, Auburndale would be the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando