Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,334,729 times

Advertisements

Just got back from Tampa, the Bay is amazing this time of year. Not too hot and sticky yet. As I stated before, both Tampa and Orlando have great qualities, it's all about which is better fit for you. In a few years it won't matter anyway as Tampa and Orlando will likely be one major Megalopolis (I think that's a word). The one thing I noticed driving back is that development keeps creeping further and further along I-4 from both points. The distance driven along undeveloped areas is now minimal compared to just a few years ago on the I-4 corridor. Now that they've shot down commuter rail maybe we should aim for a highspeed connector between Orlando and Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:47 PM

48 posts, read 130,196 times
I love living in Orlando:
I'm within approx. 1 hour from the Gulf, and the Atlantic. As close to the Keys as the Ga Border. The Theme Parks are all within 25 minutes of my front door (yet I dont live in "tourist hell", AKA the SW part of Orange County), therefore I'm able to take advantage of the great "Fl Resident specials".

The City of Orlando/Orange County are building a new Arena for the Magic (thats in the heart of downtown), a New Performing Arts Center(DT also), and are renovating the Citrus Bowl.(Thanks tourists!)

The schools are great, both public and private ( of course the public schools are based on the district i which you live).

The City/County have a big Parks and Recreation budget (thanks tourists!), so the fishing, biking, boating and camping oppurtunities are plentiful.

I live on the Northeast part of Orlando (Winter Park), which gives me DT as a buffer from Tourist hell (the Parks area)

I also like Tampa(Great Stadium, with beautiful beaches close by), but I personally thing Orlando is a better all around choice.

Thats my 2-cents.

Good luck!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeMike View Post
I love living in Orlando:
I'm within approx. 1 hour from the Gulf, and the Atlantic. As close to the Keys as the Ga Border. The Theme Parks are all within 25 minutes of my front door (yet I dont live in "tourist hell", AKA the SW part of Orange County), therefore I'm able to take advantage of the great "Fl Resident specials".

The City of Orlando/Orange County are building a new Arena for the Magic (thats in the heart of downtown), a New Performing Arts Center(DT also), and are renovating the Citrus Bowl.(Thanks tourists!)

The schools are great, both public and private ( of course the public schools are based on the district i which you live).

The City/County have a big Parks and Recreation budget (thanks tourists!), so the fishing, biking, boating and camping oppurtunities are plentiful.

I live on the Northeast part of Orlando (Winter Park), which gives me DT as a buffer from Tourist hell (the Parks area)

I also like Tampa(Great Stadium, with beautiful beaches close by), but I personally thing Orlando is a better all around choice.

Thats my 2-cents.

Good luck!
Great post! It highlights a lot of things I love about the area. I personally like Orlando more as well but Tampa has a lot to offer as well. I think it is all preference. I have friends who moved here from the NE and then when their friends moved down they chose Tampa. For the most part from my observation, the "yuppier" crowd chooses Orlando and the bar crowd, sports fan, beach bums choose Tampa. Just a generalization and observation, but it was enough I thought I would point it out.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
Great post! It highlights a lot of things I love about the area. I personally like Orlando more as well but Tampa has a lot to offer as well. I think it is all preference. I have friends who moved here from the NE and then when their friends moved down they chose Tampa. For the most part from my observation, the "yuppier" crowd chooses Orlando and the bar crowd, sports fan, beach bums choose Tampa. Just a generalization and observation, but it was enough I thought I would point it out.
There are so many Cities within the city. When we moved here, we lived in Windemere.Though a very nice area, it was too old and stuffy for us.I lived there a year, and only met one of my neighbors. If you waved at someone they looked at you like you were crazy.
We moved to College Park next. I loved College Park! Younger friendlier people. Its the "new money" area of town. The State took our house "Immenant Domain" to widen I-4. Because we lived in the smallest house in CP we decided to move between CP and Winter Park and pocketed some of the States $$.
I love Winter Park, but its crazy expensive. WP is old money, and very affluent. I love hanging out on Park Ave. Lots of great restaurants and shops, with a boat tour(link below), park, train station, and a Museum(Morse Museum, link below) thrown in to boot.

If I were to move from here, I'd look to Heathrow, Lake Mary area or within walking distance of Wekiwa Springs (link below) which is in Apopka.
http://www.floridastateparks.org/WekiwaSprings/
The Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art houses the world's most comprehensive collection of the works of Louis Comfort Tiffany
Welcome to Scenic Boat Tour - Winter Park, Florida

Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:07 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnpikeMike View Post
When you type that, do you mean in comparison to other schools? If so, in Florida or other parts of the country? Or are you just saying that in general?

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
When you type that, do you mean in comparison to other schools? If so, in Florida or other parts of the country? Or are you just saying that in general?
I cant speak for anything but Fl., but a few years ago we passed a "class size limit", which helped with school overcrowding. I have done a good bit of research, as my oldest is about to start VPK (Voluntary Pre-Kindergarden).
Obviously the nicer the area, the better the public schools. There are several "A" rated public schools in the greater Orlando area...Right now we live in a middle class neighborhood, and the Elementary school in our district is an "A" school...but the Middle School is a "D".

The data is easy to access, if you want comparables.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
It's better equipped and your job opportunities will be much greater than tourist driven Orlando any day.
Do you have data to back this up? The job market for professionals is no better in Tampa than Orlando. Every article I have ever read about the top job cities in Florida has ranked Orlando and Jacksonville at the top, unless things drastically changed in 2008.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Do you have data to back this up? The job market for professionals is no better in Tampa than Orlando. Every article I have ever read about the top job cities in Florida has ranked Orlando and Jacksonville at the top, unless things drastically changed in 2008.
The fact is, the job situation sucks everywhere. Orlando/Tampa is no exception. Orlando has been hit hard in the Hospitality area. 90K + jobs lost in the last 6 months(and counting)...I wouldnt move anywhere in the US if I didnt have a job waiting there for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando