Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:32 PM

127 posts, read 314,682 times

Advertisements

Hi....I copied a lot of this from an earlier thread as they seem to know how to ask what I want to know...hope the OP doesnt mind.

I am to purchase a Condo/vacation home for me and my family. It would be a second/vacation home. I need a safe community not too isolated.
When I come down it will be for the sole purpose of purchasing. I have a budget of $65,000.00, possibly a bit more depending on how I decide to finance.

What areas are recommended for us.....

when the time comes...I am NOT looking for a “high pressure salesman” or “someone else is also bidding on this unit – don’t let it slip away” realtor. If that is your angle - don’t reply. I want someone that will spend one or two days showing everything that fits my criteria. I dont want to be stood up or my time to be wasted as it will take quite some doing to find family to attend to my four teenagers back home.

I realize that the more the property is worth the more commission you will make – so if my amount is too low, be honest and forward this email to a someone that is more egger.

I am looking to buy (cash sale or financing, not sure which we prefer yet) a condo or a house with the following:

- Reasonable HOA fees
- 2 (preferably 3 and I have no problem with 4) bedroom
- A pool is a must
- Gated community is somewhat important as long as it is actually gated.
- I have no problem with a short term rental area
- Close to the attractions is not as important as the location..I would prefer no further than 40 minutes or so.

I await any suggestions or recommendations that any of you may have. Feel free to PM with suggestiong or recommendations.

I hope this is allowed on these forums as the previous thread was locked and I cant determine why other than a realtor posted their information publicly which I believe is not allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 12:41 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,219,193 times
You will not find any such place for $65,000. Gated? Keep dreaming.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,138,272 times
I think you're going to have a really hard time finding something in a good, safe area with that room count for what you're looking to pay.

Yes, there are condos out there at that price, but many are in either bad (unsafe) areas or in failing complexes where half the homes are vacant and in forclosure and the HOA is assessing special fees to cover the rising costs and lowered income.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
You will not find any such place for $65,000. Gated? Keep dreaming.
No need to be "snarky" just asking a question.....and as I said I copied and pasted MOST of this question from someone else thread plus I removed some amenities THEY requested AND upped the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think you're going to have a really hard time finding something in a good, safe area with that room count for what you're looking to pay.

Yes, there are condos out there at that price, but many are in either bad (unsafe) areas or in failing complexes where half the homes are vacant and in forclosure and the HOA is assessing special fees to cover the rising costs and lowered income.
K...thanks.....forget the gated then. Knock it down to 2 bedrooms. Is there anywhere that would even come close. I am not looking for luxury or to make a profit in a few years. Just a little house or apartment to own.

Perhaps if some online realtors would not put homes/condos for sale for prices much less than what I have indicated, those of us who do not live in Florida would not be led to believe those prices are an actuality.

And I am talking about areas such as Lake Mary, Clermont and Oviedo just to start.....

Old 05-03-2009, 04:23 PM

Condo for sale in Clermont for that price? Where???

Old 05-03-2009, 04:55 PM

I stated homes/condos.......there ARE homes in Clermont at that price. Small older homes but homes nonetheless...at least thats what it says on some real estate search engines.....

Old 05-03-2009, 05:00 PM

88 posts, read 312,774 times
I can think of a few communities that might fit what you are looking for.

First, i'd say take a look at Bermuda Dunes in the 32835 zip. I don't see any 2BRs currently listed in your price range, but there are some 1BRs listed at $40k-$50k, so likely you would be able to bide your time and eventually see a 2BR listed in your range. Gated, on a golf course.

Another community that comes to mind would be Savannah Pines in 32832. This is a gated townhome community with several 2-3BR units listed in your range. The construction of the units is very basic, but the area is wonderful. I just moved to this zip code myself. This is the area where the new 'medical city' facilities are being built. One condo community in the area that I LOVED when I viewed it was Veranda at Lake Hart. Condos are located in the rear of a single-family subdivision, and located right on a golf course. The ones I saw were of excellent construction and had many upgrades...really nice properties. I haven't seen them drop much below $100k though. There are also several other townhome communities in the area where the construction is less basic than Savannah Pines, but will be at least $100k to get into.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post
I stated homes/condos.......there ARE homes in Clermont at that price. Small older homes but homes nonetheless...at least thats what it says on some real estate search engines.....
There are four houses for sale on the MLS in Clermont for under $70K. One is a duplex and one is an A-frame, both of those are in Vacation Village and very likely have mold problems. I've been in a couple of those places and they smell old, moldy, and gross. It's a smell that's not going to be remedied by painting and cleaning carpets.

The other two are in a less than desirable section of downtown and have no pool. Both are in "as-is" condition and would need a lot of work just to bring them to code. One looks like it's probably got mold issues, if it doesn't fall down around you while you're looking at it. I wouldn't even buy it as an investment property.

There is one condo for under $70K it's on DeSoto street, no pool or amenities, wouldn't be bad for someone young who wanted to be able to walk to the downtown watering holes as a f/t residence, but not what you'd want as a vacation home.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent1900 View Post
I can think of a few communities that might fit what you are looking for.

First, i'd say take a look at Bermuda Dunes in the 32835 zip. I don't see any 2BRs currently listed in your price range, but there are some 1BRs listed at $40k-$50k, so likely you would be able to bide your time and eventually see a 2BR listed in your range. Gated, on a golf course.

Another community that comes to mind would be Savannah Pines in 32832. This is a gated townhome community with several 2-3BR units listed in your range. The construction of the units is very basic, but the area is wonderful. I just moved to this zip code myself. This is the area where the new 'medical city' facilities are being built. One condo community in the area that I LOVED when I viewed it was Veranda at Lake Hart. Condos are located in the rear of a single-family subdivision, and located right on a golf course. The ones I saw were of excellent construction and had many upgrades...really nice properties. I haven't seen them drop much below $100k though. There are also several other townhome communities in the area where the construction is less basic than Savannah Pines, but will be at least $100k to get into.
Thank you for your input...I am going to look into these two zip codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are four houses for sale on the MLS in Clermont for under $70K. One is a duplex and one is an A-frame, both of those are in Vacation Village and very likely have mold problems. I've been in a couple of those places and they smell old, moldy, and gross. It's a smell that's not going to be remedied by painting and cleaning carpets.

The other two are in a less than desirable section of downtown and have no pool. Both are in "as-is" condition and would need a lot of work just to bring them to code. One looks like it's probably got mold issues, if it doesn't fall down around you while you're looking at it. I wouldn't even buy it as an investment property.

There is one condo for under $70K it's on DeSoto street, no pool or amenities, wouldn't be bad for someone young who wanted to be able to walk to the downtown watering holes as a f/t residence, but not what you'd want as a vacation home.
Ah...but there is where I havent made myself clear enough.....I want residential as I am planning on spending most of the summer and the major holiday weeks down there for now with and eye for spending entire winters there in 3+ years.

Thanks for the mold info......since I dont come from a tropical state, that is not something I would even think to look into.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellamint View Post
Ah...but there is where I havent made myself clear enough.....I want residential as I am planning on spending most of the summer and the major holiday weeks down there for now with and eye for spending entire winters there in 3+ years.

Thanks for the mold info......since I dont come from a tropical state, that is not something I would even think to look into.
I understand what you're looking for. You're looking for a modest but nice home (without major issues like mold or major termite damage) in a community that offers some amenities like a pool.

You're either going to be dealing with a ramshackle house, places with mold issues, or a "small town urban" setting with on street parking and no pool in that price range. You flat out aren't going to get what you are looking for (especially a place with a pool or community pool) in Clermont without raising your price range by $40K or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando