U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:55 PM

442 posts, read 2,796,887 times

Advertisements

We Currently have Direct Tv which i like , although the price keeps going up...and we need a new Remote ( and they wanna charge us $15..)
so we were weighing our options..
and we considering getting Brighthouse again ( When they first came to Poinciana we had major issues with them Lying)
So mY questions are
Is Bright house worth it?
is the Picture as good as Sat?
and has anyone run into a issue lately with them telling you one price and then charging you a different price?
thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:39 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,879,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ67 View Post
We Currently have Direct Tv which i like , although the price keeps going up...and we need a new Remote ( and they wanna charge us $15..)
so we were weighing our options..
and we considering getting Brighthouse again ( When they first came to Poinciana we had major issues with them Lying)
So mY questions are
Is Bright house worth it?
is the Picture as good as Sat?
and has anyone run into a issue lately with them telling you one price and then charging you a different price?
thanks
Why on earth would you buy a remote from them? You can buy a universal remote that will cover your TV, DVD player and your Satelite receiver.

My prices haven't gone up except for when I got a Tivo. I wouldn't exchange my Directv for cable EVER. I have never had a problem with my service...
Remember the hurricanes of 2004, peoples cable was out for SO long, I didn't have that problem, I could run my directv off my generator no problem, at one point before I had the generator up and running, I hooked it up the invertor in my car and was able to find out what was going on.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 36,813 times
My DirecTV service increased $3 per month.

If DirecTV concerns you, have you considered switching to Dish?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:12 AM

6,563 posts, read 13,519,999 times
IMO neither are wonderful, but the bottom line is this:

Stick with DirecTV only if you are a football fan who has to have the Sunday Ticket. That was my only reason for EVER getting thier service in the first place. From my experience, thier customer service absolutely SUCKS!!!! They are not flexible and simply don't care. "You want this?? Pay us this!!!" seems to be thier philosophy... The other oddity, ESPECIALLY in Florida is the outages... Storms hurt reception as I'm sure you know and Florida has a LOT of storms. What I found incomprehensible is that we'd lose reception during a sprinkle and yet, we NEVER lost reception through all of hurricane Frances in '04....

With Brighthouse I'm not claiming thier customer service is great or anything, but at least complaining about it will net you some results.

In the end, like I said, my vote would be to keep DirecTV only if you need it for the Sunday Ticket....

Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,745,964 times
I don't understand why anyone pays for TV service. Don't y'all know - IT'S FREE! Get yourself a High-Def TV and you can get pleanty of high-def programs, news, weather, etc. which looks just as good as Satellite or Cable, for free. All you need is a decent little antena that you can get for under $30.

The whole cable / dish TV thing is a scam. When I turn on my TV, people think that I have cable because the picture is perfectly clear. Well, all of the networks now broadcast in High-Def. It's a total waste of money to pay for TV, you shouldn't be watching that much of the garbage anyway. You don't need TV garbage in the first place and paying for cable/dish is like paying someone to throw even more garbage into your house.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,879,370 times
http://ezinearticles.com/?DirecTV-vs.-Dish-Network----Which-Is-Better?&id=61178 (broken link)

Check out this website that breaks down the differences. I have to say I have NEVER had a problem with my service other then the fact that it can cut out during a storm but I haven't even had that problem in a long time.

I have never had a bad experience with customer service either. I have used Directv for almost 10 years now. I have used dishnetwork at my Mothers home and I didn't care for the layout but I'm sure that was because I was used to Directv.

The thing I think is in the favor of Bright house is that you can get your high speed internet AND your TV programming from the same people and they give you a discount because you have both services from them. Because I have Directv, I have DSL. If I choose to have a cable modem through my local provider, it would cost me alot.

Directv 41.99 for 115 channels
dish network 31.99 for 60 channels.

I often mention programs to my Mother while we are chatting and when she looks up to find that channel, its not offered by Dish. I have also found that the TIVO set up I have has greater capilities then the one that Dish offered them. Mine has two receivers in it, so I can record two programs on different channels AND watch a third program stored on the hard drive. The one they have only has the one receiver so its really just a glorified VCR. However I don't know what is currently available. I have had mine a couple years, the kind with two receivers built in might also be available through dish now.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:43 AM

442 posts, read 2,796,887 times
we stuck with Direct, after the Brighthouse installer came to our door wanting moohla which we were told we would not have to give any money up front...Lies lies....
I like my Direct tv just fine

Old 09-23-2007, 03:20 PM
GMD

1 posts, read 12,544 times
Angry Big bully

I would go for Direct TV or satellite.
Brighthouse has become something of a bully.
Their customer service is horrendous and they just don't care about any customers because they know there's plenty more out there and they have no competition in the Cable Tv business.
For example, after I had the service for a few months, they showed up to change the hight of the cable that goes from the pole across the street to my roof. Well, they actually made it lower and the next day, a truck ripped off, causing damage to the shingles on my roof. I said to myself, no big deal, I'll call them and I'm sure I'll get some support. I've lost all my services , phone, internet and tv on Friday morning and after 4 phone calls
(from a friend cell phone) all I got was the service back on Monday. I didn't get any credit for 3 days of black out and, after passing the bucket countless times, they still haven't done anything about the roof damage. Their operators could not care less about my situation and their supervisors kept me on hold for as long as 40 minutes!
They are basically a monopoly and simply don't care.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:51 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,848,782 times
We do BrightHouse because we have bundled our internet, cable and digital phone into one. We have 8 Televisions hooked up to the cable - and they can all be tuned to different channels (surprisingly we get no signal distortion from having so many, we did in our Winter Park home), 3 Hi Def boxes and remotes, high speed internet (have 4 computers hooked up), and local and long distance with all the options phone service (due to the bundling our digital phone with local, long distance - continental US and some other places I don't remember - all features...caller ID, etc. The total package costs us around $140.00 a month.

Customer Service has been great with us - I have no complaints. However the tech guys they send out to do the hookups are usually clueless. My son reworks everything after they're gone.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:14 AM

20 posts, read 75,583 times
We've had Brighthouse HDTV since it was first available from them. We've been really happy with it and probably will never go with satellite. That being said, there are pros and cons to either. I think you'll find that most folks stand behind whatever they use for service. If you really want to do some intense reading on the subject, check out this thread over on avsforum.com (290+ pages of info...a lot of BHN vs. DirecTV comparison around pages 288-293):
Orlando, FL - BHN - AVS Forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando