Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,578,168 times

Advertisements

I had a friend call me about a couple of kittens who were found abandoned by their mother. I can't imagine that a mother cat would just leave her babies, so I'm assuming something bad happened to her. We just took them in yesterday and started trying to care for them. The girl's eyes are open and she's eating from a syringe, but the little boy still has one eye shut and it's swollen, and he's not eating much. I'm afraid he had an eye infection, but I don't have the money to take him to the vet. Does anybody know of a vet with a big heart that would be willing to take a charity case like this? We're trying so hard to keep him alive, and I'd hate for him to lose his eyesight in that eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,098,128 times
Perhaps a shelter could help him for free or a nominal fee.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
please try wiping his eye with a weakened hydrogen peroxide solution, will try to work on this for you, is it ok if I dm you?

Old 05-12-2009, 10:53 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Poodle, your headline caught my attention. How nice of you to be concerned for the little kitties. Here's my suggestion~

A New BeginningPet Care & Rescue, Inc.

This is only one of the pet rescue groups in your area. I searched and it looks like there are a few of them. Get in touch with them and see if they can help you. It's possible that they will first direct you to the Humane Society and they will only rescue them from there if they aren't adopted within the 5 day span.

Good luck and please let us know how you turned out.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Kshe, yes, you may DM me about it.

Jammie, thanks for the info. I will check out the link. These babies are only about 2 weeks old (the boy's one eye just opened, and the little girl's eyes you can tell just opened), so I don't know if they can be adopted out that young.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:37 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
Kshe, yes, you may DM me about it.

Jammie, thanks for the info. I will check out the link. These babies are only about 2 weeks old (the boy's one eye just opened, and the little girl's eyes you can tell just opened), so I don't know if they can be adopted out that young.
Just checking to see how the progress is going. You're correct. I don't think they'll adopt them out until six weeks. A doll bottle works good for them when they're so little, too. A warm, wet tissue will work good on the little guy's eye, too.

Pet Rescue may be your best bet and they may take them in since they're so small. And you're right~I doubt that the Mother abandoned them. They need you and it's so good that there are people who are caring like you are.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:27 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I would check with the Orlando humane society and ask them if they will take them in. Please also check www.petfinder.com and put in your zip code, then call the foster groups that are listed.

You need to get a small bottle meant for feeding kittens AND they also sell cats milk in the stores that you can purchase to feed them. Most cats will develop diarhea from cows milk.

Tell your friend to keep his eyes open for other kittens from the same litter, it would be kind of strange if there were only two kittens.

Another source to find a foster group to take them in is at Petsmart, they have foster groups who keep cats at the stores looking to find a home, they should be willing to pass along a phone number so you can contact them for help.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 PM

Well, I went back to the neighborhood yesterday and talked to the lady who was acquainted with the kids that found the kittens. I gave her my home & cell numbers and asked her to call if she either finds the mother cat or if she finds any more kittens, but to date (more than 24 hours after the fact), she hasn't called me. Since I last posted, I took kshe's advice, and we wiped the babies' eyes with the hydrogen peroxide (one of the girl's eyes started to get infected due to her close contact with her brother, I'd imagine). After wiping them both down, both eyes on both kittens opened, and I then applied a tiny drop of colloidal silver (natural antibiotic) to each of their eyes. After that, their eyes stayed open the remainder of the day. We had done our research on the internet and knew cow's milk was horrible for the babies, so we had come up with a recipe (listed online as a substitute formula for cat's milk) which consists of goat's milk, egg yolks, and pediatric vitamin drops. I also ran down to Petco today and bought a special kitten bottle, and they've had better success sucking on that than they did with that little syringe we were using before. I'm feeling more positive today about their survival, that's for sure! Thanks for the advice everybody's given me thus far!

Old 05-14-2009, 01:28 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I am so glad that the kittens are doing better. I would still check with the foster groups to see if one of them will take the kittens and find them a home. Its what they do and they are good at it.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I am so glad that the kittens are doing better. I would still check with the foster groups to see if one of them will take the kittens and find them a home. Its what they do and they are good at it.
thanks Lindsey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: