Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Good luck with your move--it probably is safer there. But I'd rather take a slight risk and live here, with all the things this area has to offer.
Thank you.

All the best to you and yours as well.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:05 PM

42 posts, read 285,714 times
Default Big Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Were is the big difference between KC and Orlando? Both are sky high in the city limits! If you want to reduce your risk, move further from suspect areas!
Well without knowing exactly which areas are taken into account I'm going to assume that they mean strictly the city of Kansas City, Missouri and not the Greater Kansas City Area. And strictly the area of Orlando, FL and not the overall area.

I can tell you from growing up in the metro area of KC (mostly on the Kansas side) that yes - there is a high rate of crime in Kansas City, MO who's city limits are much smaller than Orlando.

In Kansas City if I went to KC, MO for anything I did lock my doors and exercise more caution. But if I were in Olathe, KS - a suberb - I could leave my doors and windows and car unlocked and not worry.

I think that's the biggest difference for me - in KC there were "bad" areas that you needed to stay away from. Here it feels like the crime is spread out and there isn't a "safe" place - that the crime is sprinkled throughout and you must always been cautious and aware. So yes, your numbers make KC sound like Jersey and Orlando sound like there's relatively no crime but I think if you fairly evaluated the larger areas that constitute both it would be a different picture.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 PM

42 posts, read 285,714 times
Default My thoughts

Don't get me wrong - I like Orlando so far and despite people on this board saying the people are rude I haven't had that experience at all - not once - even the lady at the DMV was nice.

I'm just saying that coming from a place where my little girl is safe to run around our townhouse complex and being able to go the park there alone and me feeling safe about it to a place that feels like every other day has a child abducted or almost abducted and all of the other crime is just scary.

It's not a deal breaker - we made the decision to move down with my husband and we're here to stay - but it does make me uneasy. Hopefully with time I'll feel calmer as I get to know the areas better

Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
What town in NW CT was that if I may ask?
She was in one of the most affluent towns in Litchfield County.

Crime can happen in the best communities.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,400,375 times
If you're extremely worried, try the 'burbs that are further out. Maybe somewhere near DeBary--I've been there and it seems very nice and tame, you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet in that subdivision, or out in Clermont where annerk lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keliyra View Post
Don't get me wrong - I like Orlando so far and despite people on this board saying the people are rude I haven't had that experience at all - not once - even the lady at the DMV was nice.

I'm just saying that coming from a place where my little girl is safe to run around our townhouse complex and being able to go the park there alone and me feeling safe about it to a place that feels like every other day has a child abducted or almost abducted and all of the other crime is just scary.

It's not a deal breaker - we made the decision to move down with my husband and we're here to stay - but it does make me uneasy. Hopefully with time I'll feel calmer as I get to know the areas better

Old 05-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
If you're extremely worried, try the 'burbs that are further out. Maybe somewhere near DeBary--I've been there and it seems very nice and tame, you could hear a pin drop it was so quiet in that subdivision, or out in Clermont where annerk lives.
There are kids all over the place where I live.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
I was just out in Clermont this morning. So hilly and peaceful. I cannot speak for actual subdivisions, but it was a very scenic drive while I ran some errands. I was checking out the new Super Target in West Kissimmee by 429 and drove back up 27 all the way to get to the 408 again to return. It was nice.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I was just out in Clermont this morning. So hilly and peaceful. I cannot speak for actual subdivisions, but it was a very scenic drive while I ran some errands. I was checking out the new Super Target in West Kissimmee by 429 and drove back up 27 all the way to get to the 408 again to return. It was nice.
Not quite sure what you mean because you can't get to the 408 or 429 off of 27, but Clermont thanks you anyhow for your kind words.

That is a nice Target over there in Winter Garden Village, it seems to have a little better selection than the one on 50 in Clermont.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:48 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,147,764 times
From 27 I went to 50 through Oakland to WG to Ocoee to the entrance on Clarke, but most of the driving I did off the freeway was through Kissimmee then Clermont.

The SuperTarget I went to see is just off the 429 and 192 which is great for people staying at Disney who are looking for somewhere other than a WalMart to shop at. I went out to the Winter Garden SuperTarget when it was built too, but not sure I have been since. I consider that whole development the new Waterford Lakes but nicer.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:02 PM

26 posts, read 67,728 times
Default I am ready to leave Orlando...

I just found this website today and I think it is very interesting. As the title to my message states I am ready to get the hell out. A lot of the people seem to be interested in the crime in Orlando whom are moving here from other areas. I thought I would throw my two cents in for what is worth. The crime in Orlando has gotten steadily worse. For what it is worth Forbes.com recently ranked Orlando the 6th most dangerous city in the nation. Orange county in general throughout the 90's averaged about 40-50 homicides a year. This held steady till about 2005. After that I dont know what happened but the homicides went up to 70 something in 2005, 98 in 2006, 111? in 2007, and 128 in 2008 which set a record. Now all of this can be found on orlandosentinel.com and look for the homicide/murder map.
But for the main reason I want to leave. I moved here from the Cleveland, Ohio area when I was 12 back in 1987. Orlando 20 years ago was a very nice smaller city. I remember back then the 436 434 intersection was all orange groves (close to where I lived at the time). And I do realize that the growth is what it is. Fast forward to 2009. I honestly feel the overall population in central florida has AT LEAST what? doubled, maybe tripled? One thing I cant stand anymore is that you dont really have suburbs here anymore. It's just one big massive urban sprawl. Orange county and Seminole county are one. The traffic is horrendous. Orlando to me is not a real city. I dont feel it has real culture. The only culture we have is artificial (Disney, Sea World, Universal). There is not much here as far as the arts are concerned. The cost of living here is outrageous IMO. And I just feel I need a change of scenary. I miss the four seasons. And another thing that urks me which might offend some people and I apoligize in advance. Orlando in 10 years will be like Miami, meaning that you better know some Spanish. If I wanted to Live in Miami I would move to Miami. Why are all the Puerto Ricans moving here? Just curious not hating on them. I just dont like seeing billboards in spanish on I-4. Or complete shopping centers in spanish in the Kissimmee area. Maybe I am just bitter. Is there anyone else out there who used to like Orlando/Central Florida and now cant stand it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando