Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times

Advertisements

If you were comparining South Florida to CT I might agree with you, but the homeowner's insurance in Orlando is peanuts compared to the overall astronomical costs of living in CT. There are some good public schools here too if you choose carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Weather is a personal preference. I've dealt with 26 CT winters and 6 years of Florida's summer 1, summer 2, and summer 3. I like the 4 seasons and want my children to experience what I did as a child. Being on the shoreline and the most southern part of New England I think CT has very mild winters compared to other more northern or rust belt states. But again, a person’s personal preference comes into play with weather and comfort levels.

As far as cost of living, no doubt housing and property taxes are higher up there. But I believe you get what you pay for. And a parent of school aged children might make the argument that the money saved in these two areas is offset by having to send your children to private school (If education is a priority). Not to mention the cost of homeowners insurance down here as well, which I just saw on the news last night will most likely be going up again.

I know not every state is for everybody. Everyone has different situations, priorities, beliefs, etc; and what they are willing to sacrifice and pay to achieve them.

I think I have deviated enough from the original topic of this thread which was crime, and I believe I made my point about that. People can take the facts as they are and apply them to their situation and hopefully make a more informed decision if applicable.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:47 AM

561 posts, read 1,922,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

Manchester versus Clermont. Similar size, population, demographics, income/housing costs ratio, and other than a spike in "thefts" in Clermont, almost identical in crime.

The "thefts" in Clermont are largely attricbuted to people leaving crap in their cars in a few of the apartment complexes on the south end of Clermont.

Have fun shoveling snow.
Just saw this.... Sticking to the facts and not making excuses. Far less crime in Manchester.

The demographic numbers themselves are similar otherwise. And that’s where the similarities end. And boy, are there a lot more differences outside of those numbers.

...but that is another story.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
Just saw this.... Sticking to the facts and not making excuses. Far less crime in Manchester.

The demographic numbers themselves are similar otherwise. And that’s where the similarities end. And boy, are there a lot more differences outside of those numbers.

...but that is another story.
And you know this because you've lived in both places, or you're just guessing?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You just have to go to the right area. There are plenty of communities in the central Florida area where you'll get a small town feel, know your neighbors, and have low crime rates. You just chose the wrong one.
I still stand behind my statement of lack of community in Florida. I am sure there are pockets of it in Florida but few and far between. Too may people here are transient. In NE you could always count on things not changing all that much. Stability. ( and bad weather that you can't make weekend plans). I don't think "finding the right area" should be like doing research work for UCF. The good areas should be easy to find. I love living in Venice but do miss the difference from home. Not that I haven't tried

I live in Venice but work in Orlando. I have to work in Orlando because I can't get a job in Sarasota/Bradenton area. I have been regreting lately that I left a very good job in NH to make this move in 2005. We sold our investment properties, wife got a job transfer and I proceeded to lose all the investment in a retail business in Ft. Myers. I then worked in Manatee School system at vocational school but we can't get any students to fill the class. No industrial companies here to get work. Just landscape and roofing.

Venice has low crime and all old people. I never see any kids in the neighborhood. We do have crime and had a crack house across the street for 2 years. Theft is the most common crime and I had to install a Brinks alarm and we do have a dog.

I have volunteered with marching band at high school next door in Englewood and have met many great kids. I think a lot of them come from somewhere else (parents wanted to be in Fla.). Not all are happy about that but they do their best to cope.

I now am an executive director for a non-profit music group in North Port area but can't get any local help, funding or volunteers. I previously worked with a group in NH and never had those problems.

Now I stay during the week in Orlando and my brighthouse ch 13 is like watching Cops with the daily crime reports. How about that guy who duct taped the 4 year old?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 PM

You commute from Venice to Orlando?
I think it depends where you are in the state. Snowbird areas are more transient. People keep to themselves. Don't know about the crime in your area since I'm not familiar with that part of the state, I'll take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
I still stand behind my statement of lack of community in Florida. I am sure there are pockets of it in Florida but few and far between. Too may people here are transient. In NE you could always count on things not changing all that much. Stability. ( and bad weather that you can't make weekend plans). I don't think "finding the right area" should be like doing research work for UCF. The good areas should be easy to find. I love living in Venice but do miss the difference from home. Not that I haven't tried

I live in Venice but work in Orlando. I have to work in Orlando because I can't get a job in Sarasota/Bradenton area. I have been regreting lately that I left a very good job in NH to make this move in 2005. We sold our investment properties, wife got a job transfer and I proceeded to lose all the investment in a retail business in Ft. Myers. I then worked in Manatee School system at vocational school but we can't get any students to fill the class. No industrial companies here to get work. Just landscape and roofing.

Venice has low crime and all old people. I never see any kids in the neighborhood. We do have crime and had a crack house across the street for 2 years. Theft is the most common crime and I had to install a Brinks alarm and we do have a dog.

I have volunteered with marching band at high school next door in Englewood and have met many great kids. I think a lot of them come from somewhere else (parents wanted to be in Fla.). Not all are happy about that but they do their best to cope.

I now am an executive director for a non-profit music group in North Port area but can't get any local help, funding or volunteers. I previously worked with a group in NH and never had those problems.

Now I stay during the week in Orlando and my brighthouse ch 13 is like watching Cops with the daily crime reports. How about that guy who duct taped the 4 year old?

Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
You commute from Venice to Orlando?
I think it depends where you are in the state. Snowbird areas are more transient. People keep to themselves. Don't know about the crime in your area since I'm not familiar with it. Maybe join a church or some group with common interests, or take up a new hobby to get the community feeling.
HUH?

I just listed a lot of "community" things I have done and am now doing. I was in Lee County (business), Charlotte County (Volunteer), Sarasota county (live and volunteer) and Manatee county (teacher) . Last year our group rehearsed in Poinciana area so I was in Osceola county (Volunteer). I got to see a lot of communites.

Yes, snowbirds are more transient and well some younger people who move here are also .... transient.... The only non-transients I see are latinos. They seem to stay put. I have to laugh when I see a company advertise that they have been in business since "1998".

Yes, I commute to Orlando (2 hours) and stay for the week and go back for the weekend. I work with a guy from Clearwater that commutes every day !!! 1-1/2 hours each way.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM

I edited my post after I reread yours.

Quote:
HUH?

I just listed a lot of "community" things I have done and am now doing. I was in Lee County (business), Charlotte County (Volunteer), Sarasota county (live and volunteer) and Manatee county (teacher) . Last year our group rehearsed in Poinciana area so I was in Osceola county (Volunteer). I got to see a lot of communites.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:35 PM

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
You don't think that weekend plans can't get cut short by bad weather up north? rain in teh summer and snow in the winter. My neighborhood has very little transience and a great sense of community. We know each other, each others kids. We help each other out. In NJ I didn't even know the names of all but three of my neighbors--talk about no sense of community! It really wasn't that difficult to find the right place, either.

Quote:
So you made a poor investment and it's Florida's fault? The same thing could ahve happened up north. You made a choice with significant risk associated with it, and now it's the fault of the state of Florida when it didn't work out? I think not. BTW--My husband commuts from his job in NJ so I really ahve no sympathy for you. He does so because he likes his job and works for a top company to work for. He doesn't want to quit, and at this point isn't even entertaining interviews from headhunters for jobs down here--which generally pay about the same as he's making up there for the type of work he does.

Quote:

So you chose a neighborhood you're not happy with? Didn't you bother to do some research and drive through it at various times of the day to see how many kids lived there? And again, whose fault is that? We drove through our neighborhood about eight times, different times, days of the week, etc. We got out of the car and walked around, met a couple of the people who would be our neighbors and got a good feel for the place before we signed anything.

Quote:
I volunteer with two non-profits and generally speaking we have no problem getting volunteers as long as it's not last minute. Maybe either people aren't interested in your organization, or it's the way you treat volunteers. I stopped volunteering with one org because the person in charge acted like a dictator and we were "assigned" voluteer slots, regardless of if we were available or not. As far as funding, you need to be creative about it. A local org around here partnered with another organization and then got a local celebrity involved and donations have come in at a pretty steady pace since then.

Quote:
Yup, that was horrible, but the same types of crimes have happened all over the country. It's not limited to Florida.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 AM

Pheonix has the highest rate of kidnap in the US.

A little boy in Albuquerque was buried alive at a playgound.

In an upscale Illinois suburb a guy murders his wife and two kids.

Serial killer on the loose in Milwaukee.

All on cnn.com today. It's not just Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando