Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,394 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to add my opinion. I moved here in 1979 from outside of Boston with my family. Aside from the heat and humidity, this is truly a spectacular place to live. We are usually enjoying the beach while our relatives are freezing their keesters off in the NE area. The jobs are a bit scarce but no worse than any other part of the country.
As for housing costs-$200k is more than enough-look for some foreclosure specials. My step son just bought his first condo for $55k-the bank was foreclosing on the loan and the value was $215k.
Plenty of deals to find. Glad to help, if needed...I know many realtors and title people who would be honest and fair (I know that is an oxymoron, but it is true)

Many more things to talk about, but I agree with one of your responses as to areas to live in-Seminole County is the place to be! Some of the finest A+ rated schools-I also know all the best restaurants as well. Let me know if you want any additional assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizahy4 View Post
Before starting to knock people understand we would not be moving without any jobs lined up. I did not come on this board to get answers that have no relevance to the questions I ask. I am aware of job locations and the market is bad. Thats what you hear in every post I believe anybody can understand that. What I am doing is called research which should obviously be done. I do have family down in the area and not worried about being alone. Besides my mother-in-law I may see the rest of my family 1 time a month. SO before you start to say family understand that I did not give you a biography of my life to base everything on. The book will be in stores next month if you want to read it.

A/V up here is not paying as well as you may think Annerk. Many places are going to 4 day work weeks and lowering hours. Freelancers are suffering very hard which is causing issues in many aspects. Businesses are no longer going with who they used before but are going with the cheapest possible. Quality of a product is going out the window in our business. The traveling does not make a difference to me as fast as things move here you learn for those things not to affect you. I have traveled from upstate NY to work on a regular basis before moving to Staten Island which is not the best of places to say the least.

Neighborhoods collapsing and schools failing apart because of cut backs are things that bring us as NY'ers down at this time. My son will be going from a A rated school to the worst school on the Island and on the list of worst schools in the city next year. So for him its a choice of moving to a different location on the island which would prices start at +300k for a house with next to no yard in a decent neighborhood. Its true job loss is starting to rise here as well. The cost of living is the same to be honest. Except you show me the projects down there that have people hanging out and people struggling daily paying 1100-1300 for an apartment in those conditions.

We as a country are suffering everywhere. So I asked for ideas on places that have advantages to those with poor rated schools, hospitals, high crime, and other things of interest because I am looking for a change for us.
As I said, the first thing you need to do is find out where you'll be working. Finding housing is easy these days, there are plenty of homes and apartments avaialble in good areas. But it makes no sense to choose to live in Clermont and commute in crazy traffic two hours each way to Lake Mary every day for work when you could have found a place in Winter Springs for the same price with a 15 minute commute. If you don't want to take that advice, so be it.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
You have a chip on your shoulder OP. I didn't say what you wanted to hear.

You didn't mention in your OP about doing any research when it came to employment and seem more concerned about where you should live as oppossed to finding a job.

Most people would worry about where they are going to live after finding employment.

Your free to do whatever you want, but you don't have to be so nasty, you came on here asking for advice.

One other thing, you better lose the arrogant NY attitude, that doesn't fly down here.

That is the reason the locals get put off by "yankees".

Good luck, I really think you are going to need it.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM

34 posts, read 77,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You have a chip on your shoulder OP. I didn't say what you wanted to hear.

You didn't mention in your OP about doing any research when it came to employment and seem more concerned about where you should live as oppossed to finding a job.

Most people would worry about where they are going to live after finding employment.

Your free to do whatever you want, but you don't have to be so nasty, you came on here asking for advice.

One other thing, you better lose the arrogant NY attitude, that doesn't fly down here.

That is the reason the locals get put off by "yankees".

Good luck, I really think you are going to need it.

WOW...totally unnecessary!!!! I personally hear all of you about finding a job first ( I too am a Yankee moving to Florida) but maybe the commute is not as important to some people. To us in the NY/NJ area a 1-2 hour commute each way is just a fact of life. I personally have many friends that work in Philly or NY and live in Jersey. To me the #1 priority after my husband and I find jobs is schools then safe neighborhoods.
I also dont think the OP was being arrogant...maybe his attempt at humor was not a successful one or that I too am an arrogant "yankee" and find it endearing (ummm...no). I think the bottom line is it's hard to hear the negativity when you really have your mind set on something. I personally welcome it, because with a family I need and want the opinions and experiences of you locals.
Lastly, I am sorry you feel Yankees have an attitude....hmmm, could that be the problem with the rudeness in Waterford Lakes? Maybe they are all Yankee transplants!!!
Have a good day everyone!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM

8 posts, read 14,813 times
Annerk I have heard from 2 places in the Edgewood or a little south of there need to check a map again. The company I work for uses them regularly and are a national company. So that is the info I just recieved this afternoon. I know from reading up and since the distance is the same that some parts Oviedo is nice as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Try readiing post #9 which was addressed to me after I offered information on the job situation in Florida.

No it comes down to " you can't tell people what they don't want to hear", I merely asked some questions in order to give some advice and got a rude response.

I guess some people would rather be lied to and hear what they want.

And FYI, I was born in NY and left to attend college in CA. But there is an image of people from up north and arrogant attiutudes. And sometimes it is right on the money.

Not everyone is like that, but there are some who reinforce the stereotype.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizahy4 View Post
Annerk I have heard from 2 places in the Edgewood or a little south of there need to check a map again. The company I work for uses them regularly and are a national company. So that is the info I just recieved this afternoon. I know from reading up and since the distance is the same that some parts Oviedo is nice as well.
I'd probably look at Oviedo or Winter Springs. Both are safe, affordable, and have good schools. That would be a shorter commute than Clermont.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
To you flamethrowers assaulting the OP, look at your own posts. Read a book on etiquette will you please? It is not necessarily what you say, but how you say it. For example, when you say,

"I will never understand someone especially with children moving somewhere without jobs lined up."

That sounds very insulting, to me at least. Talking about the poster like a total moron who is not even present for the conversation. Perhaps your point could have been made, and taken, had you said something like,

"You may want to be sure you have a job before getting here, the job market here is notoriously poor! You don't want to end up in financial difficulties while making such a big move away from your family" or something along those lines. Sounds much more friendly...less RUDE!

NOW....my comments to the OP, we are currently moving from Philly to the same area. We decidedly chose to be in Seminole county as Beckycat and others have recommended due to the stronger school district. You almost can't go wrong anywhere in that county as far as schools. We chose Oviedo to live in (the Sanctuary development specifically) because we liked that one for several reasons. You can PM if you want details on it.

My husband does already have a job, and has been commuting Philly to Orlando since January...(how is that for a commute?) LOL!

Good luck in your research and job hunt!

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 PM

That is my opinion, Parrot Rosie, I didn't call anyone a name.

To move anywhere in this economy without a job lined up is foolish, unless they have a year's worth of savings they don't mind parting with.

A single person only has to worry about themself, when you have children you have to think of them first.

You don't live in Florida yet, I do. I have met dozens of people who have moved here with no Plan A never mind a Plan B.

They come down here thinking it is going to be paradise and run into trouble because they didn't plan well.

If someone comes on here and says I recently accepted a new job and need information on schools, places to live, is a lot different than we will be looking for jobs, should we move down there?

The Orlando area is currently listed as 7 out the 10 toughest job markets in the country.

Is it better to lie to people and say come on down, everything will be fine, or be honest about the situaton?

And again there was no name calling. I don't understand someone moving anywhere unless they have substantial savings to hold them over.

IMO, that is foolish.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
I was referring to the immediately above post with my comment. And yes, you should be honest....did you 'read' my post? I restated what you said, without the offence. Just my opinion on your tact, since the flame wars had ensued. But you had to go and get juvenile on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando