Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times

Advertisements

Isn't FL the only state where the majority of the residents weren't born there? I have a Gunny that's from Orlando, and he's as country as they come, has an accent and everything. he says orlando from when he was a kid was still the country, nothing but Orange Groves/farm work which is why he joined the Marine Corps.

I hope the same thing that's happened in South Florida doesn't happen in the Triangle in NC, which is the new hot spot for old New Englander's to retire to, and young ones to relocate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 01:41 PM

196 posts, read 817,622 times
I thought everybody is retiring in panama or costa rica??

Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When we drove back from Orlando to Naples, my husband decided to take secondary roads, not I-75. Scenic route he said. We drove through, and stopped at, some very, very small towns. I think the map said Polk County? The people there DID have very southern accents. In fact I said to my husband, it felt more like being in South Carolina than Florida.
A lot of people say "Southern" Florida exists only in the Panhandle. That's not true, in my opinion. The South exists all over the state, just not in most urban areas. Florida really is quite rural in parts, with tons of small towns. You just won't get the feeling of the South in most urban areas.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,684 times
This is an old post, so I apologize for bringing it back to life, for those of you who dont appreciate that kinda stuff, but I jus' hafta add sumnthin'....

The Southern Accent in Florida is ALIVE and WELL, just not inside of Tampa, Orlando, Miami-Ft Lauderdale, and the SW Coast retirement communities. You can hear the accent all throughout Florida, especially in rural areas, IE the Everglades, Duval County, All the Counties Bordering the Ocala National Forest, Polk County, PLANT CITY, and Lower Alabama...oops I mean the Panhandle.......You can go to Holiday Florida (just North of Tampa) and hear it......You can hear it amongst most African Americans (except for the transplant AA Ny'ers) and from most rural caucasian people. Its a little more rough than the sing-songy Georgia Peach type Southern Accent, We also tend to drop words completely out of sentences, and we do tend to speak somewhat faster than the Southerners to the North, but I have been in Baltimore for a month, and my head is spinnin' at how fast these people go from one sentence to another.Whew! Its a workout just listenin' to 'em 'n' tryna' figure out whatndasam hell th'yre sayin'?

Most of us native, younger Floridians can turn the accent on and off at will. I flow between several different accents because of my multiracial background, and my daughter is even more amazing at going froma Floribbean Accent to a Southern One.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:36 AM

54 posts, read 316,304 times
Since you brought it back, I might as well comment since the site emailed me.

I got to take a roadtrip through more of the state in January.

I definitely heard an accent around the panhandle, and through more of the "country" part of the state while we were on the road.

When we finished up and got to Orlando, it was gone.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:10 AM

210 posts, read 664,886 times
This Collier County native and County Commissioner has an unmistakable Southern accent (Collier is extreme South Florida).

YouTube - PART 7 - COLLIER COUNTY BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS MEETING - THE JACKSON LAB - OCTOBER 12, 2010

Old 05-13-2011, 09:37 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Born and raised in NE Illinois; but when I go back people comment on my southern accent. When I go to my husbands home state of Tennessee , they notice I don't have a southern accent. I have lived with my husband longer than I lived in Illinois so I have picked up some of his way of saying words and when his family gets together I notice the accent just automatically comes out. My sons born and raised in Florida don't really have an accent, but do slip into the easy Tn Southern twang when with cousins just because it makes them feel more like part of the family.

But among ourselves at home, I really don't think we have an accent. We say some words sort of Southern, some with the a of Chicago, some with a Spanish hint, some with a Jamaican hint because of our "adopted Jamaican mom/grandma who is part of our family because of living next door to each other for 15 years, and some just plain American. LOL
In this day and age, I don't think it is region you live in that influences the way your words sound, but the people you surround yourself with in your life. TV took the regional stuff out of our lives some.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 PM

288 posts, read 733,853 times
> I thought everybody is retiring in panama or costa rica??

Funny you should mention that… i'm going to panama in october to see what it might be like to live there..

As for accents in Florida, when you get into some of the smaller towns there's a cracker accent which sounds like a cross between southern and texan. I agree with the further you go north the more 'southern' it gets. As for here, nah…

Old 05-15-2011, 12:03 PM

129 posts, read 448,051 times
There is definitely an accent in Florida, and you can find it in Orlando on the outskirts to the North, South, East and West. To the north, in Sanford the accent can be found pretty easily. In and around Apopka to the west, Bithlo and Geneva to the east, and St. Cloud, Narcosse to the South.

I was born in Orlando, but both parents are from Boston. Growing up a lot of my friends had southern accents, but ironically my friends were from North Carolina and Virginia, not Florida. As an adult today, I don't speak with any accent so I'm told, but can slip into a slight southern accent quickly if speaking to someone from "down south".

Old 08-18-2011, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,326 times
i was born in collier county and i have some what of an accent i say stuff like down nere and crick and sum ***** stuff like that and goodn fixn just regular southern slang i picked up from my ma and dad all my friends call me redneck, southern boy **** like that cuz of where i come from and im proud uh that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando