Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM

12 posts, read 57,166 times

Advertisements

We think we have finally decided to just do it and move to Orlando- I hate the cold weather and since I work outside a lot of the time I think Florida would be better. BUT now I am worried about the critters. How common is it to find a snake in your yard or house? I am not so much worried about the BIG critters like Alligators,etc but snakes scare the bejeezus out of me and I have little dogs (Beagle and a Basset/Wiener Dog) and I am afraid they might get bit. How common are the poisonous snakes? Or any critter (even alligators) in the already established neighborhoods around DisneyWorld? I have gone to WDW several times and stayed in a house 2 of the trips and have never seen anything more than a cockroach or lizard but obviously we were only there a few weeks and didnt leave the screened porch at night.

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 09:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
I've lived in my house for four years full time at this point. I've seen in my yard:

A bunny
Some squirrels
Lots of smaller birds
Ducks on my doorstep last week--usually they don't come that close to the house though
Lots of little lizards
Frogs
a variety of bugs
A great horned owl
Hawks
Sand hill cranes
Snakes: One full grown black racer that was about 4' long, a smller black racer about 2' long, last seen sleeping in the irrigation valve hole on the side of my house, half a dozen 3-6" garter snakes, and another snake that was either poisonous or not, red/yellow/black not neccesarily in that order--didn't hang around long enough to find out.

In my neighborhood: Coyotes, fox, turtles, armadillos

No gators anywhere within a few miles of my house, although I don't have water (except golf course water traps) anywhere near me.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,163 times
Depends on where you live. If you live in an undeveloped area or near a nature preserve the chances are very high you will see a snake. If you live in a developed area, not very likely at all. Spiders and bugs are everywhere, of course they are worse in the rural areas. Mosquitos during the summer are really the most bothersome critter of all in FL. Snakes and gators usually run when they see you.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:45 AM

21 posts, read 71,454 times
I live in a subdivision and we see snakes in our yard all the time. Most of them are harmless black racers. We used to have woods behind our house and we'd see some poisonous snakes but never any gators. The only time you should really worry about gators is if you are near water, like lakes or retention ponds. I'd be more concerned about the weather here then the critters. I don't think that people realize just how hot and humid it gets down here. I'm looking forward to moving out of Florida, especially Orlando.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:43 AM

My husband was born and raised in Bermuda. With no air conditioning. I was born in Puerto Rico (My dad was in the US Navy and stationed there) we are not afraid of the humidity or heat. I am afraid of the snakes though. Its the only thing holding me back at this point lol

Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM

21 posts, read 71,454 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the snakes. If it really concerns you then make sure that you don't live in a wooded area or near water. You should be fine. Most people don't come across snakes very often.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM

299 posts, read 1,333,157 times
I can add to that list - Wild pigs, raccoons, turkeys, deer, vultures ( don't trip), a few gators, You name it we seem to have it. I do live in a swampy area but most communities do leave preserve areas & that makes a difference. I get snakes in my lanai & garage but mostly babies & if they are non poisonous they keep a lot of other critters at bay. Problem is I'm not sure which are dangerous. Garden with care.......

Old 06-10-2009, 07:08 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,389 times
Kappy...There are only four snakes in central Fl you need worry about (six total in Fl but two don't live in central Fl) ...info here
Florida Venomous Snakes 1

And a good comparison of the Coral snake to its two mimic nonvenomous snakes
Florida Venomous Snakes 5

But, like you recommend, garden with care, and I, when in doubt, leave it alone )

Most, as mentioned before are near water or in wooded areas

One good thing about snakes, they eat yucky pesky rodents and bugs, and other things you don't want in your home!! Snakes are our friend!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:30 PM

42 posts, read 285,671 times
Since I moved down in April I've only seen 2 snakes and they were the black racer harmless kind. They were together and twined around a little decorative planter close to the door. It was hilarious because my mother-in-law and husband were both terrified so I (who squeal at spiders) got to be the hero since, somehow, I managed not to get the fear of snakes that so many people have.

I did read that Florida is the 3rd most ecologically diverse state in the country (behind Hawaii and Cali) and they have some amazing birds down here. That's what I've noticed the most along with those tiny little bitty lizards that run around lightening fast everywhere.

I wouldn't let the snake thing stop you from moving - I think as long as you're not tromping along a nature preserve that you'll be fine

Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Thank you everyone! The saddest part about all this is that I have worked in zoos since I was 16 years old and have worked with reptiles of all sorts. I think the difference is that I "know" those snakes, kwim? I worry about my little peanut dogs! They seem to eat EVERYTHING including live things and I would hate for them to mess with the wrong snake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando