Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM

41 posts, read 123,234 times

Advertisements

Hi we were looking to purchase a home in a really nice area we started looking in Lake Mary Heathrow area and then heard things about really good schools in Oveido .... How do these two cities compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM

793 posts, read 2,524,912 times
Default Schools

SCPS HIGH SCHOOLS - School/ Ranking => Percentage in the nation (as of 6/8/09 online data):

Seminole High School130 => Top 0.4% (in the top 1%)
Lake Mary HS 382 => Top 1.4%
Lake Brantley HS414 => Top 1.5%
Lyman HS442 => Top 1.6%
Winter Springs HS471 => Top 1.7%
Lake Howell HS798 => Top 2.95%
Oviedo HS800 => Top 2.96%
Crooms AOIT 1289 => Top 4.7%

Old 06-15-2009, 02:52 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
I would not go just by that..it only uses how many kids have taken AP tests...

Check also the school website and dig up the FCAT scores
Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools

this site here (which I don't weigh too heavily, its a heavily paid by advertising site)
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I have also , when we were searching used
Neighborhood Search for Home Buyers and Real Estate Investment - NeighborhoodScout
which is a subscribtion site, but well worth the small amount of money.

and check on this forum to find lots of other links...I can't find my other bookmarks currently..lol

Use several data points...don't take any one point as the end all be all opinion. Visit the schools if you can. Talk to the folks here. They are all very helpful!!

We ended up choosing Oviedo, we are more of a country setting type family so, it suited us better.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:54 PM

34 posts, read 77,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotrosie View Post
I would not go just by that..it only uses how many kids have taken AP tests...

Check also the school website and dig up the FCAT scores
Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools

this site here (which I don't weigh too heavily, its a heavily paid by advertising site)
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I have also , when we were searching used
Neighborhood Search for Home Buyers and Real Estate Investment - NeighborhoodScout
which is a subscribtion site, but well worth the small amount of money.

and check on this forum to find lots of other links...I can't find my other bookmarks currently..lol

Use several data points...don't take any one point as the end all be all opinion. Visit the schools if you can. Talk to the folks here. They are all very helpful!!

We ended up choosing Oviedo, we are more of a country setting type family so, it suited us better.
Schooldigger.com is another great site.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybother View Post
Schooldigger.com is another great site.
Yeah..thanks..I can add that back to my bookmarks..I was thinking..digg.com...digger...LOL... I could not find that one...

Old 06-15-2009, 03:54 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Honestly, both areas are nice. I would figure out where you'd be working and then decide.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:05 PM

41 posts, read 123,234 times
well I work remotly so travel is not an issue I really want to stay away from any high crime areas and I dont want this to come off the wrong way but not around alot of hispanic population.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado04 View Post
well I work remotly so travel is not an issue I really want to stay away from any high crime areas and I dont want this to come off the wrong way but not around alot of hispanic population.
I live in Lake Mary and it has very low crime. It's a 2 ot of a 10 on Sperling's. Very few hispanics here too. Everything is very convenient too.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,146,685 times
The schools in both area's are going to be very good, both area's have lwo crime rates but like all area's around central florida you can go a few miles and could be in an area you may not feel comfortable in.
Lake Mary has more golf courses and gated communities, while Oviedo has more nature parks, farms, and equestrian estates.
You will have more high end retail in Lake Mary, while Oviedo has more quiant retail area's (less crowded too) with Oviedo Market Place, the Winter Springs towncenter, and the Redbug/tuskawilla intersection.
Lake Mary is more white collar, while Oviedo is more Blue Collar.

Like another poster said, the main difference between the two area's is going to be the more country feel of Oviedo. What is the price range for your home? Your best bet is to have your agent that is familiar with both area's show you each area and a couple of the homes within them. Depending on your price range you may like the neighborhoods in one area better than the other.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:57 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,786 times
Default oviedo rocks

I vote oviedo.I born and raised there and this growing town still has a small town feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando