Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,585,736 times

Advertisements

I've only been living here for about a year, so I wasn't sure. My son is down visiting me, and he was hoping to find a job doing this. He won first place in a statewide competition and 8th in the nation doing this, so he's very good and precise. However, I know the job market overall is very bad right now. His specialty was the brick mailboxes although I also have noticed that a lot of subdivisions (including the one I live in) have community mailboxes, so I'm not sure if he'd be able to do that here. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,142,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I've only been living here for about a year, so I wasn't sure. My son is down visiting me, and he was hoping to find a job doing this. He won first place in a statewide competition and 8th in the nation doing this, so he's very good and precise. However, I know the job market overall is very bad right now. His specialty was the brick mailboxes although I also have noticed that a lot of subdivisions (including the one I live in) have community mailboxes, so I'm not sure if he'd be able to do that here. Any suggestions?
My husband does patios, walkways and pavers. Things are very slow now. If he does this type of work down here, I'd suggest that he starts his own business. Reason being, he won't get paid that well. He can make alot more on his own. Although, my DH applied for a job doing this about 5-6 yrs ago and they were going to pay $15/hr, but that was on the high end. Most places will probably pay around $10/hr. If I were him, I'd open the phone book and call around to see whose hiring and get an idea of what they pay.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,146,971 times
The biggest use of bricks I see around here is paver driveways, but I don't think that they require a whole lot of experience to get right.

Most homes are made of rebar reinforced concrete, not brick.

Many custom homes have fancy brick fireplaces, but they aren't standard in the average home. I doubt there's all that much work here.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,327,908 times
You might find more specific information here:
Search results: brick layers wanted orlando (http://gafdjgrhrj.com/search.php?q=brick+layers+wanted+orlando&aff=30196 &saff=777 - broken link)

Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM

157 posts, read 478,699 times
Forget Orlando for construction work right now. People are still losing their shirts trying to start a biz here. Many construction firms are hurting and payroll money is even harder to collect. Maybe next year?

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,694,100 times
Why would anyone think any type of construction is needing any employees right now?

And starting up your own business isn't cheap. If your son is sucessful where he is and there is a demand for what he does(and it sounds like he is sucessful) he should stay put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: