U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 09:27 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,894,010 times

Advertisements

I am not campaigning for east Orlando, but it has recieved so many negative comments on the board recently, I thought some information from the city of Orlando may help people from out of state understand the area better.

Since it is a relatively new area - more planning is going into its development and it shows. The Southeast Orlando Sector Plan is one of the largest urban planning and development projects ever undertaken by the City of Orlando. The area covered by the Plan consists of more than 19,300 acres and is within a 10 to 20 minute driving distance of Downtown Orlando, many of the region's entertainment attractions, as well as other regional job and education centers. The Plan area is located directly adjacent to the ever-expanding Orlando International Airport, which is already the 16th busiest airport in the United States and the 25th busiest airport in the world. In addition, the State of Florida has authorized the construction of a high speed rail system linking Tampa, Orlando, and Miami, with the hub of the system being the Orlando International Airport. With the Southeast Orlando Sector Plan, the City is proactively formulating a sustainable development strategy that builds and strengthens the livability of the entire community.

In order to build and sustain a viable community, development must feature a mixture of land uses which allow for increased accessibility, diversity, and opportunities for social interaction within the context of an integrated amenity framework. Utilizing the neighborhood as the basic community building unit, the center of residential neighborhoods will be defined by public space and activated by locally-oriented civic and commercial facilities. Employment, shopping and services will be concentrated in town, village, and neighborhood centers that are compact and walkable. The City will also be utilizing design concepts that provide a strong connection between nature and the built environment.

To be continued.....

The large size of the Southeast Orlando Sector Plan area, as well as the coordinated effort underway to plan for the area, provide an opportunity to create a unique image and character that is immediately identifiable to visitors and residents. Like some older communities (Winter Park or Downtown Orlando), Southeast Orlando will be immediately identifiable through its urban design, particularly in its streetscapes, the trees planted along major boulevards, and the scale of local streets.

A sense of community will be nurtured through the new town's physical structure. The area will be identified by the pattern of residential neighborhoods that focus on town, village and neighborhood centers; by the design of homes and commercial buildings; and by the proximity to nature. Each residential neighborhood will be scaled to the pedestrian, making casual interactions possible. Schools and parks will be focal points for neighborhood activities, rather than anonymous institutions within large no man's lands. And commercial districts will integrate public facilities and spaces, creating a civic atmosphere typical of more traditional downtowns. The design and landscape improvements to Narcoossee Road will be an extremely important first step in developing an identity for the community.

The Southeast Plan provides for a coordinated approach to transportation, employment, shopping and services, by concentrating such uses in places that are compact and walkable. The concept of balanced land uses will create a community which is more diverse and accessible, leading to greater opportunities for social interaction and growth. The new neighborhoods will include a richer mix of building types than can be found in conventional suburban neighborhoods - from sideyard houses, semi-detached houses, cottages, secondary units, courtyard apartments, and mid-rise apartments to shopfronts and offices with apartments above. Think of Park Avenue in Winter Park or Edgewater Drive in College Park.

The new mixed use neighborhoods and communities in the Plan area will also be places where people feel comfortable and safe. One of the tools the City of Orlando will use to ensure the optimum amount of safety are the principles of CPTED (Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design). The CPTED approach results in better and safer site design, by providing for greater natural surveillance, territorial control, and natural access control. Generally, CPTED assists in the creation and maintenance of a built environment that increases the perception of safety for a normal citizen and the perception of risk for a would-be offender.

To be continued.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,894,010 times
Transportation.....
An equally important characteristic of building community involves the way neighborhoods and communities are knit together via the transportation network. As businesses have moved to the suburbs, commute patterns have become hopelessly complex, with work to non-work patterns becoming increasingly problematic. We often respond to traffic congestion by widening existing roads or building new ones. But when land is used for roads, it cannot be used for housing, business and open space.

Pedestrian travel is the basic building block for developing a balanced transportation system. In the Southeast Plan area, streets will provide direct connections to local destinations, such as neighborhood and village centers, without requiring every trip to go onto the arterial network or the freeway system. The mix of uses at commercial centers will encourage "trip-linking" so that several errands can be accomplished with one stop. In addition, travel within neighborhoods will be distributed among several "connector streets" that lead to local parks, schools, and commercial centers. A goal of the planning effort is to create an area with no arterials larger than four lanes, and an interconnected local and connector street system will help to achieve this goal.

Pedestrian and bicycle access will be provided between neighborhoods and communities, and between all of the developments in the Southeast Plan area, providing both north-south and east-west connections. Neighborhood streets of varying types will be designed to provide for pedestrian comfort and safety, and for efficient automobile movement. Slowing the automobile and increasing pedestrian activity encourages the casual meetings that form the bonds of community. A fully coordinated system of pedestrian and bikeways will be provided. Important destinations such as commercial areas, transit stops, employment centers, parks, open spaces, schools, and other community facilities, will be linked by these routes. In addition, these routes will be designed in such a way that people feel comfortable and safe. CPTED principles will be utilized wherever possible in the design and development of pedestrian and bikeway systems.

Schools
For the Southeast area to grow in a competitive and community-oriented manner, a new approach to schools must be pursued. Large schools that force children into an anonymous setting and require parents to become chauffeurs inevitably work against our goal to create a sense of community. Small schools give children the attention they need to build a sense of identity. Schools that are within a short walk of most homes help to nurture neighborhood pride. Schools that build innovative linkages to local industries and educational institutions bring the hope of reestablishing a commitment to education excellence and building a long-term future for the next generation. A coordinated strategy addressing school size, funding, phasing and management is an integral component of the Southeast Plan.

To be continued.....

Protecting the Environment
The Southeast Plan area is situated between two regionally significant systems; the Econlockhatchee River (the Econ) and Boggy Creek. The site itself includes portions of two major drainage basins (Boggy Creek and Lake Hart), a connected system of lakes and small water bodies, high concentrations of wetlands, and a great diversity of plants and wildlife, many of which are protected by the City's Growth Management Plan and Federal and State regulations.

Sensitive site planning will ensure that natural habitats are protected and natural features become an integral part of the community through a designated Primary Conservation Network. These resources will be treated as key amenities, rather than as edges to developments. Public access will be permitted while important natural features and sensitive habitats are preserved. Pedestrian and bicycle paths and trails will be constructed along creek, canal or wetland edge systems, thus serving a dual function of allowing public access to open space and providing paths to destinations along the edges of linear parks. Major public facilities, such as schools, parks, and recreation centers will be linked by these open space/bicycle and pedestrian trail systems. In the Southeast Plan area, there is an opportunity for open spaces to shape and enhance neighborhoods, to provide a scenic resource from roads, and to serve as permanent wildlife corridors.

Conclusion
By drawing on the best features of older neighborhoods and the best new ideas of innovative architects and planners, we can design new neighborhoods and communities in ways that will empower and encourage people - by allowing a greater variety of land uses closer to work and home, by providing safe and successful walkways and bicycle pathways, by bringing people closer together through the provision and placement of social amenities, and by protecting the natural environment; collectively altering the actions that inevitably lead to the proliferation of sprawl development.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,634,217 times
Smile To PianoGirl

PianoGirl:

You love East Orlando very much. You must live out there, so you feel compelled to defend it. I respect that.

But in my old job, there were 4 people who lived in East Orlando and they all complained about sprawled, violent, dirty, and most of all, they all complained how all billboards in East Orlando were in Spanish and they felt they were literally living in Tijuana, Mexico. Everyone speaking Spanish, everyone has a Honda Civic with the big tailpipes, everyone yelling in Spanish on the streets and playing loud Spanish music.

But because you are an East Orlando person, I expect you to defend it and point out more good about it than bad. I appreciate your opinion, as ALL OPINIONS HELP TO HELP THE FOLK! Even though I sharply disagree with your idea and view of East Orlando, I respect it.

Thanks for your posts!
Nirvana rules!

Old 04-16-2007, 02:53 PM

640 posts, read 2,956,936 times
Great post Pianogal! There are so many good reasons to live in east Orlando. The positives far outweigh the negatives. It's interesting how someone can "sharply" disagree when he doesn't live in our community. I guess East Orlando is different things to different people. My east Orlando is east of 417 to Avalon Park, north to SR 50 and south to 528... but that's just my east Orlando world!

In any case, great post, let's keep putting the word out there to uninformed newbies how great East Orlando is!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:16 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,634,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
Great post Pianogal! There are so many good reasons to live in east Orlando. The positives far outweigh the negatives. It's interesting how someone can "sharply" disagree when he doesn't live in our community. I guess East Orlando is different things to different people. My east Orlando is east of 417 to Avalon Park, north to SR 50 and south to 528... but that's just my east Orlando world!

In any case, great post, let's keep putting the word out there to uninformed newbies how great East Orlando is!
I "shaply disagree" as I have lived in East Orlando and will NEVER do it again. It is horrible.

The bad outwights the good to me, but it is up to each reader to decide for themselves. I hope they make it out alive and get to right about it here in the forum. You East Orlando guys stay alive, ok?

Funny, we used to joke that in East Orlando, we were "blessed and glad" just to make it home alive and safe each day. And we though MetroWest was bad. >_<

Old 04-16-2007, 03:20 PM

Where did you live in East Orlando, may I ask? Sure couldn't have been in Waterford Lakes. You're bad experience, where ever it was, certainly shouldn't be the end all for people looking into East Orlando.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM

266 posts, read 1,104,816 times
Default Wow! Pianogal - awesome post!

SE Orlando is changing.

I grew up here - remember the days lying in bed and hearing the B-52's (airplane, not the music act) doing night flights in/out of McCoy AFB (now OIA). At that time, Christmas seemed like it was the other end of the world, Bithlo was known only for auto junkyards and a drag strip, and Seminole County may as well have been another country! The 408, 417 didn't exist and the 528 was only 2 lane for much of the trip to the beach.

Now, SE Orlando boasts new upscale developments, great roads, convenient shopping. It's central location makes for an easy commute to many central FL locations. Folks in my neighborhood work in St. Cloud/Kissimmee, Cocoa, Orlando, Winter Park, Oveido, and Casselberry....that I know of. When I built in my current location, I had a dozen communites from which to choose. Ate breakfast at a McDonald's in Bithlo - the progress in the area was amazing!

All of this combined (see Pianogal's post) makes for a great place to live and raise your family, and property values make the purchase of a home a great investment.

It's a whole different place than it used to be - and that's good!

Old 04-21-2007, 01:52 PM

53 posts, read 265,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The bad outwights the good to me, but it is up to each reader to decide for themselves. I hope they make it out alive and get to right about it here in the forum. You East Orlando guys stay alive, ok?
That's "write" not "right." And I wont mention the "Outwights" spelling.

Unfortunately NG has become a thorn in anything positive that someone has to say about East Orlando. Even though this thread was made to talk about the positives, NG still felt a need to "rain on the parade" with his delusional view of my neighborhood.

NG needs to understand that where he may have lived had their problems, it does not speak for the entire territory that said property resides in.

I invite people to check out Waterford Chase or Avalon Park and make your own decisions. It is a great area, and your will be surprised of the beauty and friendliness of the people who reside here. Hell, we will even be civil to NG if he came down.

Lastly, great thread Pianogal.

Old 04-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Nice posts Pianogal and Ash. As well, I live in Waterford Lakes, Eastwood to be exact, surrounded by a golfcourse. We have beautiful landscaping all throughout Waterford/Eastwood/Stoneybrook and Avalon. Children are playing at the neighborhood park, riding bikes, many are out jogging (heaven forbid), walking their dogs, simply put... enjoying life. I never hear loud boom boxes or parties (as some suggest, they are everywhere) it's very quiet and everyone minds their own business. Our subdivision has "girls night out" once a month as well as block parties, easter egg hunts for the kids and one big holiday party for the neighborhood in December. No one is paranoid and looking over their shoulder with a can of mace. I would encourage anyone who needs to live in East Orlando to simply find out for yourself, pay this part of town a visit. I wish NG would get off his duff and take a spin through "our" east Orlando.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 3,404 times
Default questions about other communities in east orlando

hey speaking of east orlando , im considering moving over there i was looking at some houses over in avalon park area. what are some other nice affordable communities? also a bit farther from the power plant and landfill. i have small children and i dont know how i feel about being so close to that you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando