Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM

125 posts, read 760,667 times

Advertisements

I'm considering moving to Orlando and would be interested in doing a month-2-month lease or a lease with a resonable termination clause. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this or knows of anyone who has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 PM

800 posts, read 3,088,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
I'm considering moving to Orlando and would be interested in doing a month-2-month lease or a lease with a resonable termination clause. I'm wondering if anyone here has done this or knows of anyone who has.

It is if you rent in a short term community. If you rent for less than 7 months, the landlord would be charged taxes as if they are a hotel.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee2e View Post
It is if you rent in a short term community. If you rent for less than 7 months, the landlord would be charged taxes as if they are a hotel.
I wonder if the solution to that is renting from a private owner. (house, duplex, efficiency, etc.)

Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Most communities in central Florida have zoning laws, no leases under six months are allowed unless the property is specifically zoned for short term rental.

Renting in a short term community would be your best bet.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Most communities in central Florida have zoning laws, no leases under six months are allowed unless the property is specifically zoned for short term rental.

Renting in a short term community would be your best bet.
What is a short-term community?

Old 06-22-2009, 07:18 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Yes you can. There are several condos in Lake Mary that allow it. They are all privately owned. Looked in Craigslist.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:22 AM

196 posts, read 817,834 times
A short term community is like a resort community. It is a place where you can rent condos or homes for a week or more while on vacation in Orlando. They tend to have a club house and pools along with other recreational amenities. Kissimmee (34747) is zoned for short term rentals. Visit VRBO.com to find out more on prices and whats on offer.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:18 AM

793 posts, read 2,524,718 times
Lake Mary would be less than a year as an option for the landlord and we are seeing more take this route as the rental market has a lot of competition currently, but more than 6 months 1 day by law.Try an Extended Stay or Disney area for short term.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:54 AM

123 posts, read 252,932 times
Here in Palm Beach I was looking for a monthly rental as I don't quite have my act together to move this month. I found a trendy hotel, with individual units owned by snowbirds, being rented out for the summer (until November actually) at a decent rate. Yes, it's still a hotel room, but they they had 1-bedroom suites for $850/month (includes utilities, etc), and in a very nice part of town. They also have studios and 2-bedroom units. Perhaps look for something similar there. I found this through craigslist.

BTW, the hotel actually has a realty company setup in the lobby to handle/manage these summer rentals.

BTW2, the only real concern I have is that the fridges are those ~3-ft tall units with the freezer inside the fridge, so it won't really keep ice cream frozen, and lack of ice cream would be the end of me.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 AM

123 posts, read 252,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broker Dave View Post
Lake Mary would be less than a year as an option for the landlord and we are seeing more take this route as the rental market has a lot of competition currently, but more than 6 months 1 day by law.Try an Extended Stay or Disney area for short term.
Can you clarify what you mean by this. As I understand it, I can rent a place for less than 6 months, as long as I pay the sales tax on it (either through the landlord, or directly as use tax)... correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando