Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wack-a-Mole View Post
So, maybe he worked hard and long to be able to afford said Boat, and enjoyed 'looking' at it in HIS Driveway. How can you reasonably justify that YOUR 'right' not to see HIS Boat in HIS driveway supersedes HIS 'right' to see HIS Boat in HIS driveway? HOA's seem to be for people who believe their 'wants' trump those of any who 'differ' from them.
Because he AGREED when he signed settlement papers on his house NOT to keep said boat in said driveway in view of his other neighbors. It was great that everyone was able to come up with a solution that was agreeable to all! Same as I just signed when I just purchased my home. If I buy a boat, it will either fit in my garage, or it will be stored at a boatyard. I have already made that agreement, and I do not yet own a boat. Altho the hubby is pushin...lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 860 times
Default To not HOA

We have lived in the Ranches HOA, one of the largest in the state, if not the largest, for the past 6 years. We were promised as were others who built in this area, a pool and clubhouse. We still have no pool and clubhouse and they say in order to have one that we would have to have our dues raised $20-40/month. We are currently paying $31/household. Now, you may say, that's not very much a month, but when you consider that they are taking in over $600,000/year, it makes you wonder. Over two grand is spent on a firm to manage the place, the people on the board "volunteer", but do not have to pay their dues/year ($360/yr) per board member, another two grand or so is spent on landscaping, and then there's all the extra stuff that they list on their budget and who really knows how much is in the "reserve" fund which supposedly is for maintaining existing things like fences, plants & the paved trail system. I've been involved as much as I can in the various committees, but unfortunately, the members of the committees are merely puppets. The board members and owners (only a couple of owners left because the others went bankrupt), make all the decisions regardless of the time, efforts, research, etc of the committee members. So, why get involved? If we had it to do all over again, we would steer clear. I would advise anyone thinking of getting into an HOA to carefully investigate the HOA you are considering. Mostly, they take your money, mismanage it and pester all the good citizens who keep their yards well manicured, while letting all the slackers go unnoticed. Plus, it has a tendency to pit neighbor against neighbor. What happened to just plain old common courtesy and consideration. What happened to being friends with your neighbors and acting in the best interests of all, not just yourself. What happened to simply talking with your neighbor about disparities and trying to work out differences among yourselves? Instead, we have an HOA that takes the place of neighborliness.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:58 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcall View Post
We have lived in the Ranches HOA, one of the largest in the state, if not the largest, for the past 6 years. We were promised as were others who built in this area, a pool and clubhouse. We still have no pool and clubhouse and they say in order to have one that we would have to have our dues raised $20-40/month. We are currently paying $31/household. Now, you may say, that's not very much a month, but when you consider that they are taking in over $600,000/year, it makes you wonder. Over two grand is spent on a firm to manage the place, the people on the board "volunteer", but do not have to pay their dues/year ($360/yr) per board member, another two grand or so is spent on landscaping, and then there's all the extra stuff that they list on their budget and who really knows how much is in the "reserve" fund which supposedly is for maintaining existing things like fences, plants & the paved trail system. I've been involved as much as I can in the various committees, but unfortunately, the members of the committees are merely puppets. The board members and owners (only a couple of owners left because the others went bankrupt), make all the decisions regardless of the time, efforts, research, etc of the committee members. So, why get involved? If we had it to do all over again, we would steer clear. I would advise anyone thinking of getting into an HOA to carefully investigate the HOA you are considering. Mostly, they take your money, mismanage it and pester all the good citizens who keep their yards well manicured, while letting all the slackers go unnoticed. Plus, it has a tendency to pit neighbor against neighbor. What happened to just plain old common courtesy and consideration. What happened to being friends with your neighbors and acting in the best interests of all, not just yourself. What happened to simply talking with your neighbor about disparities and trying to work out differences among yourselves? Instead, we have an HOA that takes the place of neighborliness.

Well, part of the issue is right in your post..."only a couple of owners left because the others went bankrupt", if that is the case, then they are not bringing in the $600k you are assuming. How can they? If folks can't make their mortgage, they can't make their HOA fee either.

I feel it is wrong for board members to be allowed to not pay their HOA fees...that is a wrong minded incentive, in my opinion.

There is no pool or clubhouse because that HOA is in financial trouble, it sounds like. As it has been said, one needs to make sure the HOA is in sound financial straits, check it out, ask on these boards and other places, etc. Buy in a development that is built out (at least mostly), and still that does not guarantee anything, but NOT buying in an HOA does not guarantee that your home will not go down in value or you won't get bad neighbors who report you to the local authorities for minor infractions , etc. either.

It's hard to find neighborly people anywhere these days. I am lucky, I have great neighbors so far, where we moved. I also STRIVE TO BE great neighbor as well.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
ParrottRosie is right--that story makes no sense at all as far as the numbers go.

It's most likely illegal for the BOD to not ahve to pay dues. In our docs it very clearly states that they are volunteer only positions and absolutely no financial gain can be achieved by being part of the board.

It's unfortunate that you bought a home in a community that was obvioiusly in deep financial woes, many likely left by the builder, but you can't blame that on the HOA.

And frankly if this was the palce I think it is, it's been a mess there for years and years now, and anyone who has bought in there since the very beginning has no one to blame but themselves for not doing their homework first.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM

132 posts, read 223,985 times
I dont own a home yet but everyone i know who does that live in HOA hate it alot. I would deff read the fine print if wanting to get a home were there is HOA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando