Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 11:55 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
There is no way to prove this. We have no idea if the locals are telling the truth. It's ultimately what one believes.
On the other hand there's no way for people to know if what you are saying is true either. Works both ways. The difference is we are here defending this city and trying to give a fair shake while others do nothing but bash it. People who don't even live here anymore.

I would have to say that if I were on a jury I would tend to believe the people that stick to their own forum and provide help to people rather than someone who doesn't live in the area just stopping in bragging how other cities are better.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,360 times
Quote:
Furthermore, what major free agents has Orlando attracted since then? Grant Hill is the last one I can think of. I was suprised Hedo Turkgolu wanted out of Orlando despite the fact that you almost won the NBA Finals. I don't expect it but I would not at all be suprised if Dwight Howard leaves.
Vince Carter was jumping up and down when he got traded to Orlando to go to a winning team. It's not always about the city when players want to leave somewhere. Shaq wanted exposure and the fame that LA could give him.

Turk did not want to leave. It's about money and nothing else. No player will pass up more money to stay with a team, no matter what city it is, unless they are old and want to stay with a potential championship team to get a ring.

Hedo Turkoglu will stay in Orlando for the "right price"

As for Dwight Howard, this says it all right here. I don't see him heading for the hills.

Dwight Howard says he would like to stay with Orlando Magic, if fans want him - ESPN

Old 07-23-2009, 12:08 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
I admit that was rude. And I apologize for that. I didn't meant that specifically, what I meant to say is that isn't a lot of money with regard to executive pay. Executive pay to us means 100K or more. Honestly, people in retail in Phoenix earn 60K but perhaps Orlando has a much lower cost of living so that would explain the discrepancy.
I said management and executive. Get your facts straight before you continue to sling mud. There are plenty of executives making well over $100K. heck, my husband isn't an executive, he's an engineer making well over $100K.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
The difference is we are here defending this city and trying to give a fair shake while others do nothing but bash it.
Maybe if Orlando boosters like yourself would listen to the complaints of those that left and the ones that are living in Orlando and dislike it for different reasons, the city could actually improve and one day remove itself from its Disney World low-wage image that has put it in the slump that it is in today. Listening to both sides of the story is not "bashing", it is called a conversation. I truly hope that Orlando one day improves for the sake of those that can not afford to leave or are stuck there due to the housing market. But the problem with Orlando is the Orlando boosters and Orlando government never look at the long-term and shut down anyone with a different opinion. Simple things like connecting the airport to downtown is yet to be done and it is now 2009, why does it not get done?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 PM

My partner isn't executive, he is a GIS Developer and makes over 100k a year. Also, there's no city in the US where someone in retail can make $60k a year. None.

For those that care to look, here is a site that gives average salaries for people/careers in Phoenix.

Compare Salaries in Phoenix - What Do Jobs Pay in Phoenix Arizona - Average Job Salaries

Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Maybe if Orlando boosters like yourself would listen to the complaints of those that left and the ones that are living in Orlando and dislike it for different reasons, the city could actually improve and one day remove itself from its Disney World low-wage image that has put it in the slump that it is in today. Listening to both sides of the story is not "bashing", it is called a conversation. I truly hope that Orlando one day improves for the sake of those that can not afford to leave or are stuck there due to the housing market. But the problem with Orlando is the Orlando boosters and Orlando government never look at the long-term and shut down anyone with a different opinion. Simple things like connecting the airport to downtown is yet to be done and it is now 2009, why does it not get done?

I am not trying to be argumentative here, seriously I am not...but Orlando will NEVER be NYC, Chicago or LA. It's not trying to be!! This is a small sized city that got bombarded by thousands of people who thought it was to be paradise. Why does everyone always have to compare it to Chicago or NYC? Orlando was about the size of Huntsville, AL 10 years ago and suddenly exploded....however do you know that the city of Orlando has only 230k people? Chicago has 2.9 MILLION. There's just no comparison! Chicago has a history as rich as can be, and Orlando barely was on the map in 1971. There's no land for that type of infrastructure.

Orlando should be compared to Madison, WI, Chattanooga, TN, Huntsville, AL, Fayetteville, NC...etc. Because we have more people in the suburbs doesn't make Orlando anything other than a small city.

No, it will never be a world class city. It is very lucky to even have the Magic as a team! 20 years ago, who would have ever thought that would happen??? I wish all the people complaining or comparing this town to metropolises could have seen this place in 1992. It was safe, it was clean, the traffic wasn't bad, people were nice, Disney was LOVED, there wasn't illegal immigrants, there was actually beautiful land everywhere and Orange Groves. It wasn't ORLANDO's fault people decided to come here and destroy what it was. Orlando is keeping up as much as it can. Chicago has 215 neighborhoods for heaven's sake. Orlando has about 5. It will never have more than that. The only thing that can happen here is it can continue to have urban sprawl and become like LA. LA in fact, has one of the smallest skylines around, but it is the country's second largest city. A skyline does not make a city.

The point is, the argument over Orlando being this or that - just stop it please. It will never be anything more than it is...it's not pretending to be the epicenter of culture.. the people who like to slam it are making that argument when no one else is! For people who love sun, TONS of entertainment, a nice quaint downtown with great places to eat and shop, tree lined streets with historic homes in areas you wont get killed in, then Orlando is PERFECT.

I've told you over and over I love Chicago. I miss it dearly. I miss every single thing you can think of - but I know Orlando ISN'T Chicago and to even insinuate that this town can be that? Come on now...Schaumburg has a bigger downtown than Orlando! In fact, Sshaumburg is basically what Orlando is. Imagine trying to cram the rest of the Chicagoland area into that town.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I said management and executive. Get your facts straight before you continue to sling mud. There are plenty of executives making well over $100K. heck, my husband isn't an executive, he's an engineer making well over $100K.
And many of those executives are transferred in from out of state. To imply that Orlando is a high wage city is simply dishonest. The low-wage problem in Orlando is well know and has only gotten worse throughout the years.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
I do'nt fall into either of those categories, but thanks for your concern.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
So we're supposed to take you seriously when you say that Golden Corral is the best cuisine in Orlando? Seriously?

Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
And many of those executives are transferred in from out of state. To imply that Orlando is a high wage city is simply dishonest. The low-wage problem in Orlando is well know and has only gotten worse throughout the years.
But again, who would you blame for that? People moving here without jobs or the city of Orlando not being a big sized city to accommodate them? Orlando has ALWAYS been this way and has never hid it. So how can it be Orlando's problem when people come streaming here without a job, without a plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando