Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:45 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times

Advertisements

We had a pool company maintain our poor for the few months we were not living here...can you afford that service? At least when you arrive, it will be usable! Perhaps even a neighbor would be willing to help out....

Stagnant pool water is a breeding ground for mosquitos, it really is a health hazard. All sorts of nasties grow in stagnant water...they stink to high heavens as well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,684 times
I would be careful draining it. I've heard of them "popping out of the ground" when drained - replacing your damaged plumbing would be a whole lot more expensive than treating it chemically.

I would find another pool company (there are bunches of them around!) - ask them to treat it chemically - put the pump on a timer. Unless your finish is damaged, there's no need to drain.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Well, it'll take at least $100 of chemicals and let the pool pump run for two or more straight days with some brushing to turn a green pool clear again. I wouldn't let an unoccupied home with a pool turn into a lake, otherwise, draining would be the alternative. Otherwise, even if it were a couple months, the chemicals should do the trick, but it should be treated weekly or get someone to do it until you move down here, especially at least this time of year as it doesn't take too long before algae can build up (sometimes within 24 hours of untreated pools).

Old 09-01-2009, 10:15 PM

6 posts, read 10,431 times
Algae builds up very quick in the summer months due to the heat and sun.
If you need any advice, PM me - I own a pool service company.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:05 PM

45 posts, read 112,663 times
O-Bound. Are you in Heathrow by any chance. I just went thru the same citation thing. I panicked and let the pool company drain it. cost me about $800. I was going to let it go, but someone compalined about the standing water and a citation was issued to the seller. I am paying for weekly service now until my wife and I come down from NY in January. This pool stuff is all new to me as well.

One good thing...when they drain the pool, ask them for a letter to the water company. I spoke with the water company (Seminole County) and they will acept a letter stating approx how much water was used to fill it. They will give you a credit for water used to "repair" your pool (fill it up)

If you are in the Lake Mary area, let me know. Would be nice to have a friend out their that is new to the area when we are.
Good Luck.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,486 times
If you let someone drain it, be sure they are insured in case the pool pops. This can happen under certain conditions. You can use your favorite search engine to find out about it. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2009, 09:19 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
You can likely shock the pool and fix months of growth. scoop and filter and clean the filter a couple times a day. That is the answer and it works./ I have been personally working on a pool for a client we just closed on. Pool maintenance people will want to charge a small fortune to do just that. You can get the same results for not so much money.

depends on size of the pool as to how much CH you put in it. 1-2 jugs will likely do it. plus some tablets.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 AM

6 posts, read 10,431 times
I wouldnt say all pool maintenance companies charge a fortune, some do, but we dont.
We evaluate on 2 major determining factors

1. Indoor or Outdoor Pool.
2. Level Of Debris In The Pool. ( Can you see the bottom or is there 3 ft of algae )

I would never recommend draining a pool, especially in Florida.
There is too much risk.

Comapnies will charge up to $75 per visit to get your pool back and running.
We just charge a flat fee, and if it takes us going out to the home for 2 weeks straight, well do it.

If would like any other information, please PM me.

* 1-2 Jugs Of Chlorine alone will not get your pool clear. It will kill Algae, but not everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando